Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

Question:

Is you are making a HF-ground (radials just below the surface) Should
these radials be insulated or not?

73 John


  #3   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

To cut down on copper corrosion, I use enameled #14 magnet wire.

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
...
On 19 Jan 2006 06:04:29 -0800, wrote:

Question:

Is you are making a HF-ground (radials just below the surface) Should
these radials be insulated or not?

73 John


In one of my antenna books, by W6SAI, he recommended uninsulated wire
for buried radials.

bob
k5qwg



  #4   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

On 19 Jan 2006 06:04:29 -0800, John wrote:

Question:

Is you are making a HF-ground (radials just below the surface) Should
these radials be insulated or not?


It makes no real noticeable difference in operation, however,
insulated wire will not deteriorate as fast in the ground.

Danny, K6MHE




email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/
  #6   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gary Schafer
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

If you are also going to use the radials for a lightning protection
ground then bare wire is much better.

73
Gary K4FMX


On 19 Jan 2006 06:04:29 -0800, wrote:

Question:

Is you are making a HF-ground (radials just below the surface) Should
these radials be insulated or not?

73 John


  #7   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

On 19 Jan 2006 16:28:53 GMT, "Bill Turner" wrote:

wrote:

Question:

Is you are making a HF-ground (radials just below the surface) Should
these radials be insulated or not?

73 John

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Insulated will reduce corrosion. Don't bury them any deeper than
necessary. Lying on top of the ground is better. Dirt is not a good
antenna element.


Bill, I often see the assertion that it is better to not bury radials.

Can you point me to any reputable texts or experimental evidence that
shows the difference between shallow buried radials and radials lying
"on top of the ground"?

Corrosion is often cited as a reason to use insulated buried radials,
but is corrosion a significant risk in most locations. We widely use
buried copper water pipes here, and copper clad earthing electrodes
for the MEN power supply earthing, yet they don't seem to suffer
significant corrosion in most places.

It seems to me that insulated buried radials are likely to be less
effective in a lightning protection role.

Owen
--
  #9   Report Post  
Old January 19th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John, N9JG
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

Ok, but do you use steel or aluminum fence wire? Galvanized steel fence wire
will rust in a few years.

"Dave Oldridge" wrote in message
9...

Electric fence wire is adequate and cheap. I use it right on the surface,
as you say. It's a bit springy so you may have to work it to straighten
it, though.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667



  #10   Report Post  
Old January 20th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Turner
 
Posts: n/a
Default HF-Ground

Owen Duffy wrote:

Bill, I often see the assertion that it is better to not bury radials.

Can you point me to any reputable texts or experimental evidence that
shows the difference between shallow buried radials and radials lying
"on top of the ground"?

Corrosion is often cited as a reason to use insulated buried radials,
but is corrosion a significant risk in most locations. We widely use
buried copper water pipes here, and copper clad earthing electrodes
for the MEN power supply earthing, yet they don't seem to suffer
significant corrosion in most places.

It seems to me that insulated buried radials are likely to be less
effective in a lightning protection role.

Owen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your mind is already made up. Do as you like.

Bill, W6WRT


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Inverted ground plane antenna: compared with normal GP and low dipole. Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 8 February 24th 11 10:22 PM
Building a Solid Copper Ground Pipe {Tube} with an Solid Iron Core. - Also - Water Drilling a Solid Copper Pipe for a Ground Rod. RHF Shortwave 12 January 17th 06 07:39 PM
Transforming your simple Ground Rod into a Ground Anchor : Is It Worth The Work ? - You Decide ! RHF Shortwave 10 December 24th 05 10:09 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
QST Article: An Easy to Build, Dual-Band Collinear Antenna Serge Stroobandt, ON4BAA Antenna 12 October 16th 03 07:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017