Old January 20th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Scott Gordon

Default Need Loop Advice

I have had a 75 meter loop up and down for several years. I guess I try a
different antenna every once and a while and always end up putting my loop
back up since reports are always the best. I feed it with 450 ohm line and
use it on all bands. I even had good results shorting the ends together and
using it on 160 meters.

Now my question, I would like to get up a loop on 160 meters. But my
measurements I am only going to be around 450 and maybe can get it to near
500 feet which is probably 50 to 100 feet or so short. I will be using 450
ohm line. Does anyone know of what kind of results I might see with this
length of loop? Should I just stick with my 75 meter or will I see any
gains going bigger?

--
Scott Gordon
KQ8RP

Old January 20th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Scott Gordon wrote:
I have had a 75 meter loop up and down for several years. I guess I try a
different antenna every once and a while and always end up putting my loop
back up since reports are always the best. I feed it with 450 ohm line and
use it on all bands. I even had good results shorting the ends together and
using it on 160 meters.

Now my question, I would like to get up a loop on 160 meters. But my
measurements I am only going to be around 450 and maybe can get it to near
500 feet which is probably 50 to 100 feet or so short. I will be using 450
ohm line. Does anyone know of what kind of results I might see with this
length of loop? Should I just stick with my 75 meter or will I see any
gains going bigger?

--
Scott Gordon
KQ8RP

Hi Scott, on the low bands you are not going to see much gain. What
you should shoot for is efficiency. On the low bands, the longer the
better. Feed it with 450 ohm line and an efficient antenna tuner and
you should be OK with the dimensions you have available.
Gary N4AST