Old February 5th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dansawyeror

Default 4nec2 and linux ??

All,

I am trying to run 4nec2 under linux using wine. It loads and runs fine until a
bat file is engaged. The bat files are not supported under linux. Is there a way
to translate bat files to linux?

Thanks - Dan
Old February 5th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Dan

Yes I have tried and failed so far encountering a series of problems
centered around the bat file. Its been a while though so pls take the
following with memory fade in mind!

- The actual necd2.exe file baulks under wine with some kind of malloc
problem. I have however succesfully run it under DOSEMU, the DOS
emulator. The original problem I had under wine was also wine version
specific but I cant remember the details.

- The BAT file supplied by Arie has some characters/syntax that are
illegal under wine/DOSEMU. From memory these were tabs somewhere.
Replacing them with spaces fixed things. I dont know if Arie addressed
this in later versions or not.

- I had the system running at one stage by using the GUI and getting an
error doing the calculation. I then ran it manually under DOSEMU and
loaded the output file back into the GUI. Clunky but usable. My next
effort was going to be to modify the bat file as supplied with a pause
statement (and no calc) that gave me time to launch my own script under
DOSEMU. I was also looking into some way to launch a Linux script from a
bat file but never delved into that too far.

Hope this helps.. If I get excited over fixing this I may do some more
experimentation

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Old February 6th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Andersson

dansawyeror wrote:

All,

I am trying to run 4nec2 under linux using wine. It loads and runs fine
until a bat file is engaged. The bat files are not supported under linux.
Is there a way to translate bat files to linux?

Thanks - Dan

Emulating a NEC for Windooze in Linux?!

Why are you not running a native NEC - compiled for Linux?

Try

http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=antenna&ordpat=title

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI
Old February 6th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Russ

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 21:12:34 +0000, Dan Andersson
wrote:

dansawyeror wrote:

All,

I am trying to run 4nec2 under linux using wine. It loads and runs fine
until a bat file is engaged. The bat files are not supported under linux.
Is there a way to translate bat files to linux?

Thanks - Dan

Emulating a NEC for Windooze in Linux?!

Why are you not running a native NEC - compiled for Linux?

Try

http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=antenna&ordpat=title

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI

Nice concept. Too bad that www.qsl.net is offline or otherwise
inreachable (at least right now).

Old February 7th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Russ

wrote:

dansawyeror wrote:

All,

I am trying to run 4nec2 under linux using wine. It loads and runs fine
until a bat file is engaged. The bat files are not supported under linux.
Is there a way to translate bat files to linux?

Thanks - Dan

Emulating a NEC for Windooze in Linux?!

Why are you not running a native NEC - compiled for Linux?

Try

http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=antenna&ordpat=title

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI

Follow-up to my follow-up...all of the servers listed in "whois" are
not reachable, the pings time out. I hope there are mirrors available
and someone can change the pages listed above.

Old February 7th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Dan

So I have the same GUI interface on both Windoze and Linux boxes

Do you know how to launch a *nix shell script from a wine based bat file?

Cheers Bob

Old February 7th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
dansawyeror

Dan - Thanks. The 4nec2 package has a great editor and display front end. It is
very easy to manage the nec interface. - Dan