Old February 19th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Berris

Default 2m/440 antenna Q's

Hi there!
I am new to the group here, and have a couple of basic questions that I can
hopefully get some help with...

I have recently decided to start becoming active on the air (VHF/UHF) again
when I found my HT as my wife and I were moving into our new house.

I am pretty much restricted to the HT for a bit, and want to come up with a
better antenna solution. A buddy gave me a mobile 2m/440 antenna and mag
mount base that he used to use with his Kenwood TM-V7A.

Question 1 -- The coax coming off of the mag mount connected directly to the
antenna feed line input on the mobile radio. What kind of connection is
this? I need to get a cable that will transition from the antenna
feed-line to the BNC connector on the HT. I would need to get this on a
length of coax (or just the connections and make my own cable) so that it
will reach the garage. Where could I find the cable and/or connectors?

Question 2 -- I was thinking of mounting the mag mount up on one of the rain
gutters that is only about 8 feet off the ground... would the modest gain
from the antenna along with the 8' mounting provive a significant
improvement over a rubber duckie? Or, should I build a 2m J-Pole?

Thanks a bunch for any information you can help me out with -- I am looking
forward to getting my feet wet again so that I can convince my wife that I
need more radio equipment... :-)

73,

--
Bill Berris, KF6CNP
Salida, CA

Old February 20th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Berris

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"Bill Berris" wrote in message

Thanks for the info! I think that a J-Pole is in my future... :-)

--
Bill Berris, KF6CNP
Salida, CA

Old February 21st 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
WS4V

Probably the gutter is made of aluminum if put up in recent years so that
won't work. Put a dual band mobile on a 6"X6" sheet of thin steel and make
four radials about 16" and bend them down at a 45 degree angle from the
corners of the plate. Mount them to the steel plate with small bolts and
nuts. Put the whole thing in the corner of your room. Unless you are in
metal building the antenna will work about as well as it would outside...
and yes it will be light years ahead of a duck.
Ken
remove the X in the address to reply.

. com...

Old February 21st 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bill Berris

"WS4V" wrote in message
Probably the gutter is made of aluminum if put up in recent years so that
won't work. Put a dual band mobile on a 6"X6" sheet of thin steel and make
four radials about 16" and bend them down at a 45 degree angle from the
corners of the plate. Mount them to the steel plate with small bolts and
nuts. Put the whole thing in the corner of your room. Unless you are in
metal building the antenna will work about as well as it would outside...
and yes it will be light years ahead of a duck.
Ken
remove the X in the address to reply.

Thanks for the info... the portability of the design (and the design Dot
posted) look great... I will probably try one of those and maybe something
like this in addition -- http://www2.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0302038.pdf

What do you guys think of that one?

--
Bill Berris, KF6CNP
Salida, CA

Passive Repeater Bryan Martin Antenna 13 February 10th 06 02:03 PM
The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
The "Almost" Delta Loop Antenna for Limited Space Shortwave Listening (SWL) made from TV 'type' Parts RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:34 PM
Yaesu FT-857D questions Joe S. Equipment 6 October 25th 04 09:40 AM