Old March 7th 06, 10:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Newman

Default ferrite balun grades

Any advice on which grade of ferrite would be most useful for a
feeedline balun choke effective at 70 cm?
Thanks de miken zl1bnb
Old March 7th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

#68 material might work although I have never tried it.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old March 7th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

"Mike Newman" wrote in message
Any advice on which grade of ferrite would be most useful for a
feeedline balun choke effective at 70 cm?
Thanks de miken zl1bnb

Hi Miken

I've been using the tubular, high permeability ferrites designed for RFI
suppression slipped over the RG-223 coax for a balun for vhf antennas. I am
aware of the high loss with those ferrite tubes. I have been hoping the
high permeability would present a high reactance to currents along the
outside of the coax. So far, the tubes are working OK for my needs.
Your mileage may vary.

Jerry

Old March 8th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Newman

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 15:18:33 GMT, "Jerry Martes"
wrote:

"Mike Newman" wrote in message
.. .
Any advice on which grade of ferrite would be most useful for a
feeedline balun choke effective at 70 cm?
Thanks de miken zl1bnb

Hi Miken

I've been using the tubular, high permeability ferrites designed for RFI
suppression slipped over the RG-223 coax for a balun for vhf antennas. I am
aware of the high loss with those ferrite tubes. I have been hoping the
high permeability would present a high reactance to currents along the
outside of the coax. So far, the tubes are working OK for my needs.
Your mileage may vary.

Jerry

That's exactly what I intended doing, feeding a moxon rectangle in
this case, my win4nec model gives 50+0.1j.

Given the correct grade of ferrite, it should probably be ok on
UHF.

But how to to determine the effectiveness? Maybe a small bead with a
couple of turns to pick up voltage nodes on the coax feedline, with
and without the choke balun beads.

MikeN
Old March 8th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jerry Martes

wrote:

"Mike Newman" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Mike

Since you are acknowledging the existence of 1/10th of an ohm of inductive
reactance, at UHF, you are way beyond my level of accuracy in any
measurement of effectiveness.
But, I once measured the inductance across the ferrite tube by connecting
the impedance "meter" to the exposed ends of the coax braid that was
threaded thru the center of the ferrite. Then I removed the ferrite and
repeated the test with the ferrite removed.

Roy Lewallen has an excellant paper written to show how to properly
evaluate baluns. I have the paper saved and will be happy to share it with
you. It is almost a *must read* since it is so thouough and informative.

Jerry

Old March 8th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:16:58 +1300, Mike Newman
wrote:

But how to to determine the effectiveness? Maybe a small bead with a
couple of turns to pick up voltage nodes on the coax feedline, with
and without the choke balun beads.

Hi Mike,

Good start, keep it simple. This presumes you have the material, but
don't know its type (s/b #43 or #64):

Take a short transmission line from your rig;
pass the center conductor through ONE bead;
and bring it back and short it to the shield;
transmit on the 5W range for as long as it takes to read SWR.

You should get a reading of roughly 1.3:1 to 2:1 for the right
material - and - depending on how long you held down the transmit, it
should get toasty warm to blistering hot.

73's,
Richard Clark, KB7QHC