Old December 12th 03, 10:30 PM
Macman

Default Is it possible to have a 1:1 SWR?

I have the good ole sling shot wire antenna configuration. I picked up a
new SWR meter, hooked it up according to the directions, and the needle
didn't budge when checking SWR's.

The power indicator is fine, just not even a 'wiggle' on the needle for SWR
reading.
Bum meter?

Old December 12th 03, 11:01 PM
David Robbins

"Macman" wrote in message
I have the good ole sling shot wire antenna configuration. I picked up a
new SWR meter, hooked it up according to the directions, and the needle
didn't budge when checking SWR's.

The power indicator is fine, just not even a 'wiggle' on the needle for

SWR
reading.
Bum meter?

probably... check on a different frequency or band to be sure... or just
disconnect the antenna and see what it does.

Old December 13th 03, 12:06 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:30:13 -0500, "Macman"
wrote:

I have the good ole sling shot wire antenna configuration. I picked up a
new SWR meter, hooked it up according to the directions, and the needle
didn't budge when checking SWR's.

The power indicator is fine, just not even a 'wiggle' on the needle for SWR
reading.
Bum meter?

Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" although a couple of
them require a tuner to get there. OTOH, Yes, at least on my 75 and
40 meter half waves, the 20, 15, and 10 meter tribander as well as the
AV640 on the shop will hit 1:1 some where in the desired band without
a tuner.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Old December 13th 03, 05:32 AM
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

|Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...

Not so.

Old December 17th 03, 05:14 AM
Jack Painter

wrote:

|Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...

Not so.

I have a dipole that is 1:1 at both it's main length design frequency and
the single fan dipole design frequency underneath it. Each began life 10%
longer than design (formulas), one actually had to have a few inches added -
and that was soldered when the line was still brand new. The other required
shortening in 2" increments. Over a period of two months, the antenna still
has "1:1" on those two design frequencies. Checked with reliable equipment
besides the MFJ 962D tuner, which now rests on "Bypass" except for higher
frequency diversions. This was designed and built for two frequencies only,
and performs flawlessly in that respect.

So yes, achieving 1:1 SWR is not only possible, but nothing less was
acceptable in the specific need I had for that antenna.

Jack
Virginia Beach

Old December 17th 03, 06:44 AM
Roger Halstead

wrote:

|Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...

Not so.

I'd like to know how you can say that?

Have you measured all my antennas? You are welcome to come over and
check them out. Every one "according to my meter which is a Bird"
reaches 1:1 some where in the desired band. It may not be exactly the
frequency the formula predicted, but it'll be relatively close.

Old December 17th 03, 02:58 PM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:44:06 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

|On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:32:07 -0700, Wes Stewart
|wrote:
|
|On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Roger Halstead

||Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...
|
|Not so.
|
|I'd like to know how you can say that?

I can say it because it's true.

|Have you measured all my antennas?

No, but I've measured some of mine. Why just yesterday, I was out
measuring my vertical that started out as a Cushcraft AV-80. I'm
looking to use it on 40 meters. At resonance, at about 5.43 MHz, the
base impedance was 38.5 +j0. That's a 1.3:1 SWR.

And BTW that's a datum taken using a method described in HP
Application Note 77-3, "Measurement of Complex Impedance 1-1000 MHz."

You mistakenly believe that because an antenna *has a resonance* at
some frequency, its SWR is *1:1*. Not so, as shown above.

I have shown at least *one* example where you are wrong when you say
*every antenna*.

| You are welcome to come over and
|check them out.

No thanks. The weather here is much nicer for doing antenna work.

Old December 17th 03, 03:18 PM
Cecil Moore

Roger Halstead wrote:
Wes Stewart wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Roger Halstead
|Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...

Not so.

I'd like to know how you can say that?
Have you measured all my antennas?

Basic problem was the lack of a defined boundary for
"here". I figured it meant, "here in the US".
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old December 17th 03, 06:03 PM
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:18:30 -0600, Cecil Moore
wrote:

|Roger Halstead wrote:
| Wes Stewart wrote:
|
|On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:06:16 GMT, Roger Halstead
||Every HF antenna here will go 1:1 "some where" ...
|
|Not so.
|
| I'd like to know how you can say that?
| Have you measured all my antennas?
|
|Basic problem was the lack of a defined boundary for
|"here". I figured it meant, "here in the US".

I don't know what "here" meant for sure, but he said, "although a
couple of them require a tuner to get there", even "there" his
statement is incorrect.