Old March 30th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve Nosko

Default tower/transmitter ownership

You want information on *Commercial* station operation, not amateur.

73, Steve, K9DCI

"DrJoe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am new to the group but have a specific reason for joining. The
primary reason I joined, like many of you I am sure, is to get
information about short wave radio. My situation: I have the
appropriate parcel of land (110) acres that is free from any legal
impediments to building a short wave radio tower. The land is located
in West Central Alabama, in rural Fayette County.I also have the
necessary funding to build a short wave radio tower and transmitter.
The site has been evaluated as a perfect location that is virtually
free from any potential liability and from the perspective of reaching
millions of people in Mexico and Central America.

Questions for the group:

1. What are the potential financial rewards for owning and operating a
short wave radio transmitter/tower?

2. How does an owner go about establishing a revenue stream from
potential purchasers of air time.

3. Who would the primary customer base be?

Comments or suggestions?

Thank you,

DrJoe (newbie)

Old March 31st 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Buck

On 30 Mar 2006 09:45:45 -0800, "DrJoe" wrote:

Hello all,

Hello,

I am sure by now you have figured out that this is a group of amateur
radio operators, however, I have looked into the same information with
the FCC a few years ago. For me it was very discouraging.

Questions for the group:

1. What are the potential financial rewards for owning and operating a
short wave radio transmitter/tower?

Potentially, you will probably do better with an AM broadcast station
than SW BC station. That is my uneducated guess....

2. How does an owner go about establishing a revenue stream from
potential purchasers of air time.

I know that a few SW BC stations make money from commercial sales,
however, the majority are non-profit organizations or government run
stations without a means of making income.

3. Who would the primary customer base be?

You have to determine your market. If you are broadcasting to Mexico,
you will have to find someone wanting to market to them. A few
stations are broadcasting to US markets part time for commercial
revenue and also to foreign countries. SWBC requires the majority of
your content to be directed at the foreign listeners.

Comments or suggestions?

The cost of setting up and getting approval of a SWBC station will
very likely exceed $1 million. I believe minimum power is 50 KW, which
requires electricity at premium pricing. Transmitter specifications
are strict and, if I was correctly informed, since your station is
international, it will require you have on board when it is
transmitting, a General RadioTelephone licensed engineer.

Thank you,

You are welcome.

DrJoe (newbie)

I once dreamed of owning my own SWBC station. Every time I
investigate the requirements, I find my dream is more like a
nightmare.

Wishing you the best,

73
Buck

--
73 for now
Buck
Old March 31st 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Miller

[...]

No one is going to purchase advertising time on your station unless
you have programming that appeals to the people that the ads are aimed
at.

Programming that appeals to people in the 25 to 54 age group pulls in
the folks who have the most money to spend, and it is to them that you
might want to aim your programming.

And what would that programming be?

And do you have the money to finance it?

As an amateur, I'm not offering any commercial advice here, just
posing things you may not have thought of.

A transmitter and shortwave tower is only, to paraphrase Ed Murrow,
just a box with wires and stuff in it...

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 31st 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ray - KU2S

[...]

Dr. Joe,

Your questions are quite off-topic for a newsgroup dedicated
to Amateur Radio antennas. Perhaps you should seek the expertise of
some commercial radio professionals in your area...
Raymond A. Sirois - KU2S
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6023
http://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6080
Old March 31st 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Kelly

DrJoe wrote:
[...]

.. . . troll . . .

Thank you,

You're welcome.

DrJoe (newbie)

Uh-huh . .

w3rv

Old April 8th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
CW

This sounds like a common theme. A shortwave station, intended audience
being the US, sidestepping FCC regulations by aiming a barely directional
antenna at the northern tip of Mexico. There are a number of stations doing
just this. The majority of their programming is far right religious with the
occasional fringe "militia", conspiracy freak, and doomsday predictor thrown
in. Don't plan on getting rich. In fact, you may well have trouble staying
on the air. The sort of people that you will be dealing with are often less
than trustworthy. Watch your back.