Old March 30th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DrJoe

Default tower/transmitter ownership

Hello all,

I am new to the group but have a specific reason for joining. The
primary reason I joined, like many of you I am sure, is to get
information about short wave radio. My situation: I have the
appropriate parcel of land (110) acres that is free from any legal
impediments to building a short wave radio tower. The land is located
in West Central Alabama, in rural Fayette County.I also have the
necessary funding to build a short wave radio tower and transmitter.
The site has been evaluated as a perfect location that is virtually
free from any potential liability and from the perspective of reaching
millions of people in Mexico and Central America.

Questions for the group:

1. What are the potential financial rewards for owning and operating a
short wave radio transmitter/tower?

2. How does an owner go about establishing a revenue stream from
potential purchasers of air time.

3. Who would the primary customer base be?

Comments or suggestions?

Thank you,

DrJoe (newbie)

Old March 30th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Howard W3CQH

be sure that you purchase your "shortwave license" from: WWW.FCC.GOV before
you start transmitting.

oups.com...

Old March 30th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

"DrJoe" wrote:
Questions for the group:

This is an *amateur radio* group. The FCC strictly prohibits us from using
our Amateur Radio License for any commercial venture. Some members
of the group are licensed commercial RF engineers and may have answers
to your questions. The commercial RF license and amateur radio license
are completely separate items.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old March 30th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tim Wescott

DrJoe wrote:
[...]

Well, this is a radio _amateur_ group, but there may be some pros
lurking around. Here are some uninformed opinions to keep you going,
however:

1. One of the best quotes I ever heard about hobby businesses was "the
way to make a small fortune in model airplane motors is to start out
with a large one". I don't know if that applies here. Potentially I
expect that a single transmitter/tower would net you no more than a
decent full-time job as a station manager. It would only buy the fleet
of BMWs if it was the seed for a great many more.

2. Identify potential advertisers and sell air time. I have _no idea_
of how that works in shortwave, but I imagine you'd be traveling in
South America a lot.

3. People who sell stuff to the shortwave listening public.

Questions to ask a

* What are the regulations surrounding what you're trying to do, both in
the US and in any countries you may wish to travel to and remain unarrested.

* What effective radiated power will you be allowed, and what's the most
cost effective antenna/transmitter combination to get you there?

* If you plan on starting small but want to upgrade later is it best to
start with a dinky antenna and big transmitter, big antenna and dinky
transmitter, medium-dinky on both?

* Who would listen to this stuff?

* What do they buy?

* Who sells advertising for that stuff?

* Do they believe that advertising on short wave would work?

* Will they believe that advertising on _your_ station would work?

* How can you contact them?

* Can you work out the financial details cross-border so that you won't
get cheated, and your customers won't have to worry either?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Old March 30th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DrJoe

hey Howard,

Does that shortwave license have a specific code when searching the FCC
site?

Old March 30th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DrJoe

Hey Tim,

Thank you very much for the information. I really am just starting to
investigate the possibilities. My interest was peaked when I received
an offer to buy the land I own for approximately 3 times the approased
value from a man in NC who owns and operates these types of facilities.
His particular bent, like many these days I am sure, is religious
broadcasting, but he disclosed in our conversation that this group of
potential advertisers/sponsers would more than pay for it. After our
initial conversations, I just decided to check out the possibilities
before I went and did anything like actually sell him the land.

Joe

Old March 30th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DrJoe

Hey Tim,

Thank you very much for the information. I really am just starting to
investigate the possibilities. My interest was peaked when I received
an offer to buy the land I own for approximately 3 times the appraised

Old March 30th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Me

In article ,
"Howard W3CQH" wrote:

be sure that you purchase your "shortwave license" from: WWW.FCC.GOV before
you start transmitting.

and plan on not actuall getting one, for a couple of YEARS, and only
after spending a few HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS, in Broadcast Lawyers
Fees, Broacast Enginerering Consulting Fees, and FCC International
Licensing Fees........

Me one who knows, just how hard it is to get one..........
Old March 30th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Bob Bob

Hi Joe

You probably realise but thought I'd mention that this newsgroup is more
oriented towards "amateur" or "ham" radio non commercial systems. The
rules/laws for operating amateur equipment are a lot "looser" than those
for a commercial enterprise you are suggesting. The license cost is also
far lower than what you are looking at.

I would suggest that shortwave broadcasting probably isnt going to do
very well as a business enterprise given the set of technologies that
are around now and coming soon. Satellite based systems and broadband
networks are probably a more likely source. I realise that you mentioned
that your market is more south of here but satellite radios (for
example) will eventually be as cheap as shortwave radios and have much
better audio quality. Given the capital investment you are thinking of I
would think you wouldnt have enough time to realise a good return.

I might also suggest that the nature of shortwave propogation is that it
isnt as reliable as you'd like. Stations like VOA handle this by using a
number of different frequencies depending on conditions at the time.
This obviously increases the $ investment in equipment/antennas and
concerns over listener education (where to tune) may mean a loss of market.

re question 1;

You cant setup a system whereby the listener pays for receiving so your
income stream is going to be more advertisers or others that might use
the station for their own purposes. What does the Mexican, South
American market want? I'll admit that this is somewhat beyond my experience.

I should point out that this topic isnt in my normal purvue. I hope
however you find my comments useful.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas.