Old April 1st 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John - KD5YI

Default Amother look at a choke balun.

Richard Clark wrote:
On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:45:48 GMT, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Reg Edwards wrote:

John, I'm afraid you havn't the foggiest idea about how a choke balun
works. You are being confused by the Gurus' bafflegab.

I must be more dense than I realize. I do not see an answer to my question
in your reply. If your answer is there, I would appreciate it if you would
point it out to me.

Hi John,

No, you are no more dense than the next, and Reggie's bafflegab is no
more distinct than all that which preceded it - once you discard his
pretension.

Hi, Richard -

I am afraid I do not understand the meaning of "bafflegab". I take it to be
a derogatory term indicating that the posting person believes the monologue
to be unbelievable. Or something like that. Wikipedia has nothing on the
meaning of this word. A search of Dictionary.com produces Gobbledygook which
is no help at all. Another search on Dictionary.com of Gobbledygook results
in "Unclear, wordy jargon." Is this what is meant?

Thanks,
John
Old April 1st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

John - KD5YI wrote:
I am afraid I do not understand the meaning of "bafflegab".

A Netscape web search turned up 4890 hits.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 1st 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 22:13:05 GMT, John - KD5YI
wrote:

I am afraid I do not understand the meaning of "bafflegab".

Hi John,

It is a term of invention by the greatest practitioner of that art -
Reggie, of course! He introduces nearly every example of it with the
term nestled in his post like a road side flare. Bafflegab is what
was written before you (the second poster to answer) got your say in.

There are similar usage examples of his with "gurus," a term that was
not coined by him, but similarly littered in postings for effect in
his (and imitators') attempts in social climbing. "Gurus" are those
who got to say it first.

So, in the pecking order of it all, "gurus" write "bafflegab" -
unless, of course, you posted first. As a strategic variation on this
theme, there is the inverted-guru-gambit that is something like en
passant. That is, you don't post an answer even if you do manage to
be first, you post how it will be answered wrong by others who you
claim to be gurus.

Reggie has been most influential in these stylistic touches and more
than a few correspondents ape his method. Unfortunately, this also
reveals how quickly novelty descends into cliché; and how wikipedia
trails in social currency.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 2nd 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Richard Clark wrote:

John - KD5YI wrote:
I am afraid I do not understand the meaning of "bafflegab".

It is a term of invention by the greatest practitioner of that art -
Reggie, of course!

Sorry, Reg didn't invent the word. It's been around for more than
half a century.

"Bafflegab - This word hit the newspapers and public notice on 19 January
1952, the day after a plaque was presented to its inventor to mark his
creation of this invaluable word. He was Milton A Smith, assistant general
counsel for the US Chamber of Commerce."
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 2nd 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John - KD5YI

wrote:

[...]

Richard -

I must say that the meaning is no clearer to me now. Your explanation makes
no sense to me. I apologize for my lack of understanding.

Thanks for trying to explain nevertheless.

Cheers,
John

Old April 2nd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

John - KD5YI wrote:
I must say that the meaning is no clearer to me now. Your explanation
makes no sense to me. I apologize for my lack of understanding.

Synonym is "Gobblydegook". Does that help?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 2nd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 23:42:04 GMT, John - KD5YI
wrote:

Richard -

I must say that the meaning is no clearer to me now. Your explanation makes
no sense to me. I apologize for my lack of understanding.

Thanks for trying to explain nevertheless.

Cheers,
John

How about "doubletalk"?

That comes pretty close.

Regards,
Danny, K6MHE

Old April 2nd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
David G. Nagel

wrote:

[...]

John;

The term has been used in the TV program from the 70's "Battlestar
Galactica". It means spouting "BULL****".

Dave N
Old April 2nd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

John, what with the unwanted interference from Richard Clark, you'll
just have to accept the fact that the ferrite material has little or
no effect on transmission through the short length of transmission
line, be it coax or twin-line, wound on the ferrite core.

I can only repeat that, insofar as the normal transmission current is
concerned, the currents in the pair of wires flow in opposite
directions and therefore neutralise each other. No flux is induced in
the ferrite.

The unwanted longitudinal current flows equally and in the same
direction along both wires and therefore comes under the influence of
the choke.

It is all so beautifully simple!
----
Reg.