Old April 2nd 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

Default Coils and Transmission Lines.

NOW AVAILABLE ** New Program "TRANCO_1.exe"

This program analyses performance as a transmission line, of a
single-layer solenoid coil which may be inserted in an antenna wire.
The coil itself may be used as a very short vertical antenna at its
1/4-wave resonant frequency.

From the input data of length, diameter and number of turns, the
program calculates inductance, capacitance and resistance of the
equivalent transmission line. The secondary constants of
characteristic impedance Zo, phase shift, velocity factor, and
attenuation are calculated. Also the feedpoint input impedance, R+jX,
for when a coil is used as an antenna.

Because of the sensitivity to the environment of such an antenna and
its high Q it will be necessary to trim antenna length to a particular
wanted resonant frequency.

Download TRANCO_1 in a few seconds from website below and run
immediately. Filesize = 38 Kbytes. (It's at the bottom of the list.)
----
.................................................. ..........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. ..........

Old April 2nd 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

To satisfy demands for disclosure of the source code of my programs I
have made the source code of program TRANCO_1 available from my
website.

It may be of interest to antagonists in the "current through coils"
civil war.

The source code text, which is almost readable using non-proportional
spaced text readers, can be found in "Download Pascal source code from
here" section on the Index page.
----
.................................................. ..........

Old April 2nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Reg Edwards wrote:
It may be of interest to antagonists in the "current through coils"
civil war.

The nature of traveling wave current and standing wave current
is different. Does your program take that into account?

The "current through coils" argument boils down to the ones who
understand standing wave currents in a standing wave antenna and
those who refuse to take the time to understand.

Quoting "Optics", by Hecht: "E(x,t) = 2Eo*sin(kx)*cos(wt)
This is the equation for a STANDING or STATIONARY WAVE, as
opposed to a traveling wave (Fig. 7.10). Its profile does
not move through space. ... [The phase] doesn't rotate at
all, and the resultant wave it represents doesn't progress
through space - it's a standing wave."

Until the gurus take the time to understand the nature of
standing waves in standing waves antennas, they will keep
committing the same mental blunders over and over.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 2nd 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:
Reg Edwards wrote:

[...]

Hecht forgot to put the phase difference in his formula.
It's no wonder there's no phase information in your
standing waves, Cecil, Hecht left it out. Not only
that, but where did he get the idea that it was sin(kx) instead
of cos(kx). I understand Hecht is a good old boy, but I'd like to
see his derivations.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old April 2nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Yuri Blanarovich

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Until the gurus take the time to understand the nature of
standing waves in standing waves antennas, they will keep
committing the same mental blunders over and over.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

More astonishing than that, Until the "gurus" put their finger on the coil,
or aquarium thermometer, or RF ammeter, or infrared scope and see that the
bottom, being the reality that defies their "scientwific theories why it
shouldn't" - they will keep committing the same mental blunders over and
over.

What's next? There is less current in a wire (coil) where wire (coil) gets
hotter?
Let the games begin!

Thermometers don't lie, meters don't lie, even EZNEC shows it! So wasaaaaap?

Yuri, K3BU

Old April 2nd 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
More astonishing than that, Until the "gurus" put their finger on the coil,
or aquarium thermometer, or RF ammeter, or infrared scope and see that the
bottom, being the reality that defies their "scientwific theories why it
shouldn't" - they will keep committing the same mental blunders over and
over.

Yuri,

No one I have seen has every said one tuern can't get hotter than
another turn in a loading coil.

For example, I can take a piece of airdux and short a single turn
anywhere in the coil. That turn and the turns around it will get very
hot, often even melting the form and discoloring the wire, even with
modest power applied in a resoant circuit.

I had my 75 watt Novice rig melt miniductor in certain spots way back
in the very early 60's.

The problem is wild theories are created from small grains of truth or
factoids. It is the wild theories that people question.

In an effort to support the wild claims, there seems to be an effort to
dismiss anything but the wild theories. Here is how it goes:

1.) My Hustler antenna loading coil (known to be a poor electrical
design) melted the heatshrink at the bottom

2.) This must be becuase there is only high current at the bottom of
every loading coil.

3.) This must be because the standing waves on the antenna all wind up
in the loading coil.

4.) This must mean all loading coils act just like they are the x
degrees of antenna they replace.

5.) This is why, no matter what we do with loading coil Q, efficiency
doesn't change much.

6.) We will write a IEEE paper about this astounding fact, since all
the texbooks about loading coils or inductors in general must be wrong

7.) Anyone who point out it is imperfections in the design of the
system that cause this must be wrong, since I saw the coil get hot

8.) Anyone who disagrees with me must think himself a guru, and be
incapable of learning or understanding how things work

9.) I know all this because the bottom of the coil gets hot in my
antenna

What's next? There is less current in a wire (coil) where wire (coil)
gets
hotter?
Thermometers don't lie, meters don't lie, even EZNEC shows it! So wasaaaaap?

It's all been explained over and over again.

If the termination impedance of the coil is very high compared to
shunting impedances inside the coil to the outside world, a coil can
have phase shift in current at each terminal and it can have uneven
current distribution.

This is not caused by standing waves or "electrical degrees" the coil
replaces, but rather by the displacement currents which can provide a
path for the through currents.

Reg actually explained this very well, as has Roy, Tom D, Gene, Tom
ITM, Ian, and a half dozen others.

The reason you keep beating your head against the wall is you want to
think the conclusions you formed were correct.

If I wanted to design a loading coil that has virtually 100% current
taper, I could. If I wanted to design one with virtually no taper, I
could. I could actually have an antenna of a fixed height and by making
various styles of loading coils go anywhere from nearly uniform
distribution at each end of the coil to some significant taper.

The problem is Cecil attributes it all to standing waves, and not to
the inductor's design. You seem to be doing the same.

Since we won't agree with your wrong theories, you then conclude we are
saying step one is wrong and you never saw what you saw. Step one is
fine. Step two is where everything you say falls apart.

73 Tom

Old April 2nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ian White GM3SEK

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
Until the gurus take the time to understand the nature of
standing waves in standing waves antennas, they will keep
committing the same mental blunders over and over.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

More astonishing than that, Until the "gurus" put their finger on the coil,
or aquarium thermometer, or RF ammeter, or infrared scope and see that the
bottom, being the reality that defies their "scientwific theories why it
shouldn't" - they will keep committing the same mental blunders over and
over.

What's next? There is less current in a wire (coil) where wire (coil) gets
hotter?
Let the games begin!

Thermometers don't lie, meters don't lie, even EZNEC shows it! So wasaaaaap?

If you're looking for an argument, you're looking in the wrong place.

Nobody denies the raw evidence, like the fact that some loading coils
get hotter at the bottom than at the top... and the fact that some other
coils don't (or nowhere near as much).

There are good explanations for everything you see. But the only valid
explanations are the ones that account for *all* the facts about *all*
types of loading coils.

The argument is specifically about Cecil's attempts to explain the
evidence, using his own particular ideas about "standing wave antennas".
He makes it kinda work for the cases he wants to think about, but in
other cases it gets things fundamentally wrong - and that isn't good
enough.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old April 2nd 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John - KD5YI

Reg Edwards wrote:
To satisfy demands for disclosure of the source code of my programs I
have made the source code of program TRANCO_1 available from my
website.

It may be of interest to antagonists in the "current through coils"
civil war.

The source code text, which is almost readable using non-proportional
spaced text readers, can be found in "Download Pascal source code from
here" section on the Index page.
----
.................................................. .........
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp
.................................................. .........

There is no "Download Pascal source code from here" section on the Index
page. There is a "Get Pascal source code from here" section which lists the
following:

GRNDWAV3.pas * Groundwave propagation vs frequency, distance and terrain.

TOPHAT2.pas * Performance of top-capacitance loaded vertical.

PADMATCH.pas * T and Pi resistive-matching and minimum loss pads.

I do not see the TRANCO_1 source code listed.

73
John
Old April 2nd 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 12:07:38 -0400, "Yuri Blanarovich"
wrote:

Thermometers don't lie, meters don't lie, even EZNEC shows it! So wasaaaaap?

Hi Yuri,

That's a good question. The last you had to say, two years ago, was
you were waiting for the snow to melt to provide a better measure.

It must have been a particularly long and cold winter these two years.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 2nd 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Tom Donaly wrote:
Hecht forgot to put the phase difference in his formula.
It's no wonder there's no phase information in your
standing waves, Cecil, Hecht left it out.

You are mistaken. If Hecht left it out then so did Gene Fuller.
I suggest you listen to Gene when he says: Regarding the
cos(kz)*cos(wt) terms in the standing wave equation:

Gene Fuller, W4SZ wrote:
In a standing wave antenna problem, such as the one you describe, there is no
remaining phase information. Any specific phase characteristics of the traveling
waves died out when the startup transients died out.

Phase is gone. Kaput. Vanished. Cannot be recovered. Never to be seen again.

The only "phase" remaining is the cos (kz) term, which is really an amplitude
description, not a phase.

Not only
that, but where did he get the idea that it was sin(kx) instead
of cos(kx). I understand Hecht is a good old boy, but I'd like to
see his derivations.

Apparently, you are ignorant of the difference in conventions between
optics and RF engineering. In optics, there is no current so there is
no current changing phase at an open circuit. In optics, the M-field
changes directions but not phase. In RF engineering, a change in
direction of the H-field is considered to be a 180 degree phase shift.
Both conventions are correct as long as one understands them. Your
strange statement about Hecht above just proves your ignorance.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp