Old April 2nd 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default how to reduce ghost from a wall mounted uhf antenna

i have a uhf tv antenna on my balcony. i am getting ghosting.

i think the ghosting is from signals bouncing off the balcony wall and
hitting the antenna a second time.

apart from building a 100' tower to raise my antenna into the open sky,
is there any way to keep the wall from reflecting ? can i put some sort
of foil behind the antenna to block it out ?or cover the wall with some
non reflective material?

thx

Old April 2nd 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Fry

wrote
i have a uhf tv antenna on my balcony. i am getting ghosting.

i think the ghosting is from signals bouncing off the balcony wall and
hitting the antenna a second time.

______________

An r-f reflection capable of producing a ghost in an analog TV broadcast
signal needs to have something like a 1/2 microsecond minimum propagation
delay from the direct signal. That takes a path difference of ~492 feet, so
your balcony wall probably is not be the source of your ghost.

More likely it is from a reflecting surface (building, sign, water tower,
etc) somewhere near the direct path from the TV tx to your antenna. You
might try a corner reflector or yagi, and aim it in various directions (not
necessarily toward the TV tx) looking a for a cleaner overall signal.

RF

Old April 3rd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella

wrote in message
oups.com...
i have a uhf tv antenna on my balcony. i am getting ghosting.

i think the ghosting is from signals bouncing off the balcony wall and
hitting the antenna a second time.

apart from building a 100' tower to raise my antenna into the open sky,
is there any way to keep the wall from reflecting ? can i put some sort
of foil behind the antenna to block it out ?or cover the wall with some
non reflective material?

thx

Try a twin-bowtie antenna with a screen behind it. (They're intended for
indoor use, so the weather outside may eat it up.)

Any complex antenna -- something beyond a loop or bow-tie antenna -- will
discriminate against ghosts. Depending on where the transmitter is, all
your
signals may be ghosts. That is, you're receiving all your signals by
reflections
off SOMETHING and you need to pick the cleanest one, as another poster said.
This sort of "picking" is best attempted with a big, fancy UHF antenna..

Good luck.

The Long and Thin Vertical Loop Antenna. [ The Non-Resonance Vertical with a Difference ] RHF Shortwave 0 December 27th 05 06:03 PM
Workman BS-1 Dipole Antenna = Easy Mod to make it a Mini-Windom Antenna ! RHF Shortwave 0 November 2nd 05 11:14 AM
On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM