Old April 5th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Scott Gordon

Default Mono Vertical to Multi-band

I have a 40 ft vertical fed with coax that I am using today on 60 meters
with excellent results. I have 34 radials under it now at about 43 ft.

I am wondering how I can use this antenna on other bands? 40, 20, 17, 15,
12, and 10 meters.

I am sure if I wanted to put it on 75m I would need to install a cap hat,
and don't think I want to go through that but would like to see how I could
use it else where?

Appreciate the help.

--
Scott Gordon
kq8rp

Old April 5th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Scott Gordon wrote:

I have a 40 ft vertical fed with coax that I am using today on 60 meters
with excellent results. I have 34 radials under it now at about 43 ft.

I am wondering how I can use this antenna on other bands? 40, 20, 17, 15,
12, and 10 meters.

With a straight monopole, anything over 5/8 wavelength is
not a good DX radiation pattern. So if you are into low
angle radiation, the rule-of-thumb upper frequency limit
for a 40 ft. monopole would be about 585/40' = 14.6 MHz.
It would work well on 20m and deteriorate as the frequency
increases above 14.6 Mhz.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 5th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:59:06 -0400, "Scott Gordon"
wrote:

I have a 40 ft vertical fed with coax that I am using today on 60 meters
with excellent results. I have 34 radials under it now at about 43 ft.

I am wondering how I can use this antenna on other bands? 40, 20, 17, 15,
12, and 10 meters.

I am sure if I wanted to put it on 75m I would need to install a cap hat,
and don't think I want to go through that but would like to see how I could
use it else where?

Appreciate the help.

Scott,

On frequencies higher than 20-meters I doubt you not will be please
with performance above 20-meters for a 40-foot vertical - unless you
are primarily interested in talking to airplanes - as most of your
power will be launched at high angles.

I have a nice dual-band (40/20-meter) vertical described on my web
site at http://k6mhe.com/files/DualBandVert.pdf which you may find of
interest.

73,
Danny, K6MHE

Vertical vs Horizontal shootout part one Mike Coslo Antenna 44 March 17th 06 04:20 PM
Butternut 9 band vertical -- free, but you must pick it up NOW! gene shablygin Swap 1 May 5th 04 01:00 AM
FS 6 mono band beams Randy Chavis Antenna 0 September 15th 03 06:42 PM
HV Vertical ?? MAS Antenna 3 August 19th 03 06:21 AM
Poor vertical performance on metal sheet roof - comments? Kristinn Andersen Antenna 23 August 8th 03 11:08 PM