Old May 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dan Richardson

Default J_Pole Trials and Tribulations

On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:05 -0600, jimbo wrote:

Maybe reflected power off of nearby objects is the cause of poor
performance of my J-Pole in the basement shop. And the attic has the
roof overhead and many, many cross braces, typical of pre-fab trusses.
Anyway, I am satisfied with the Arrow end fed antenna in the attic.
But, I am disappointed with my home made J-Poles. Maybe I will try a
little SO239 1/4 wave, just to see if there is any difference.

I'm wondering if you are using a common mode choke? Also what type of
mast are you using to support the antenna?

Danny, K6MHE

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one
useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three
or more is a congress. - John Adams

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/
Old May 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jimbo

Dan Richardson wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:53:05 -0600, jimbo wrote:

Maybe reflected power off of nearby objects is the cause of poor
performance of my J-Pole in the basement shop. And the attic has the
roof overhead and many, many cross braces, typical of pre-fab trusses.
Anyway, I am satisfied with the Arrow end fed antenna in the attic.
But, I am disappointed with my home made J-Poles. Maybe I will try a
little SO239 1/4 wave, just to see if there is any difference.

I'm wondering if you are using a common mode choke? Also what type of
mast are you using to support the antenna?

Danny, K6MHE

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one
useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three
or more is a congress. - John Adams

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/

I have tried with and without a coax loop, 5 turns about 6 inches in
diameter. I couldn't see any difference. I use a 1/8 inch diameter
rope to hang the J-Pole from a joist in the basement or from a roof
rafter in the attic.

jimbo
Old May 11th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Roy Lewallen

jimbo wrote:
Dan Richardson wrote:

I'm wondering if you are using a common mode choke? Also what type of
mast are you using to support the antenna?

I have tried with and without a coax loop, 5 turns about 6 inches in
diameter. I couldn't see any difference. I use a 1/8 inch diameter rope
to hang the J-Pole from a joist in the basement or from a roof rafter in
the attic.

A single choke blocks conducted common mode current. But a J pole (and
ground plane, for that matter) can also have considerable common mode
current due to coupling between the antenna and feedline, which can
distort the pattern and reduce the gain at the horizon. This can
actually be made worse by a choke in some cases. Two chokes, about a
quarter wave apart, are necessary to reliably reduce the coupled
current. The amount of conducted and coupled current you have without
chokes depend on the feedline length and orientation, so it can be small
in some installations and large in others. I suspect that's one reason
why people report such widely varying degrees of success with this antenna.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old May 11th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

Roy Lewallen wrote:

jimbo wrote:

[...]

Isn't 6 inch diameter a little large for 2 meters?

tom
K0TAR