Old April 28th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Howard W3CQH

Default "interesting" antenna design

Another item that also works especially on 6m, throw an old bed spring on
the roof!
73's

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:13:46 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

jawod wrote:
I was listening to 40M the other night and a reasonably clear SSB signal
came from a guy in Pennsylvania using 100 W to a rain gutter.

It was apparently raining at the time in PA.

All the mathematical modeling and tweaking discussed in this group ...
I thought the successful use of a rain gutter deserved some praise here.

Why? There's nothing unusual or exceptional about it.

Indeed.

Whilst it might have, and is probably still often done, it is unlikely
to comply with limits on Maximum Permitted Exposure to EMR. It has a
host of other disadvantages (EMC incompatibility, TVI/RFI, unreliable
performance to name a few).

The configuration is known as a CIA Special down here, being a covert
antenna. I suppose it is commonly done in places where covenants
prohibit external antennas.

Anyone who's been a ham for a few years probably has a handful of
similar stories. What conclusions should we draw from them?

Anything and everything "works" in the minds of amateurs. In the minds
of some, a few QSOs is adequate proof that something "works", though I
know you think differently Roy.

Owen

Old April 30th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod

--

I just think the great stories of rain gutters, chimneys, fire escapes,
etc. reflect the spirit of individual experimentation that, to me, is

John
AB8WH
Old April 30th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

jawod wrote:
I just think the great stories of rain gutters, chimneys, fire escapes,
etc. reflect the spirit of individual experimentation that, to me, is
the heart of ham radio. Maybe not the brain, but the heart.

You must love Kurt N. Sterba's tales of using bedsprings,
ladders, and garbage cans for antennas.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old April 30th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim - NN7K

And, also, makes great Stacked helical's for 2304! Jim NN7K

Old May 1st 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Coslo

wrote:

jawod wrote:

[...]

I agree. I don't have any reason to want to build one of those
antennas, but they are every bit the equal of getting wrapped around the
axle with amateur radio minutiae!

And certainly a lot funnier! 8^)

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 1st 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. Onella

"jawod" wrote in message ...

snip

I just think the great stories of rain gutters, chimneys, fire escapes,
etc. reflect the spirit of individual experimentation that, to me, is
the heart of ham radio. Maybe not the brain, but the heart.

John
AB8WH

Me too. Oh, how much fun we have right after saying, "I wonder what
happens if ... "

Yeah, sometimes it's a burnt finger or a blown fuse, but even then we
usually benefit from it.

Old May 6th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I just think the great stories of rain gutters, chimneys, fire escapes,
etc. reflect the spirit of individual experimentation that, to me, is
the heart of ham radio. Maybe not the brain, but the heart.

You must love Kurt N. Sterba's tales of using bedsprings,
ladders, and garbage cans for antennas.

And don't forget the (QST?) pictures of "car antennas" several years
ago: two cars sitting almost bumper-to-bumper and fed with coax as a
very-low dipole at the almost-touching bumpers. Truly a "car antenna"
(but not very mobile)!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old May 8th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Steve N.

wrote in message ...
I just think the great stories of rain gutters, chimneys, fire escapes,
etc. reflect the spirit of individual experimentation that, to me, is
the heart of ham radio. Maybe not the brain, but the heart.

You must love Kurt N. Sterba's tales of using bedsprings,
ladders, and garbage cans for antennas.

And don't forget the (QST?) pictures of "car antennas" several years
ago: two cars sitting almost bumper-to-bumper and fed with coax as a
very-low dipole at the almost-touching bumpers. Truly a "car antenna"
(but not very mobile)!

--Myron A. Calhoun.

Now THAT one I haven't seen.

HOWEVER, I DO have a picture (Dad's) of two hams and their cars side by
side. W9SH and W9IT

Of course they had call plates! What'd you expect! Ya think QST'd print it
????

73, Steve, K9DCI

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM
Antenna Design Information Paul Burridge Antenna 0 October 25th 04 07:12 PM