Old May 16th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default End Fed Zepp Antenna

I was browsing the MFJ online catalog and saw an "End Fed Zepp" antenna.
It looks like it would fit nicely in the space I have. I'm in Israel,
so the hassle and expense of ordering ones make we want to try to build it.

I've seen some writeups on end fed zepps, which were a short wire on the
"ground" side and a longer wire on the "hot" side. The MFJ looks like
a long wire on the "hot" side and a matching network made from a piece
of 450 ohm ladder line.

It looks like the ladder line is hung from the center insulator and the
coax is connected to the middle (figuratively) of the ladder line. The long
wire is connected to the "hot" side and the "ground" side is not connected,
but used for an insulating support rope.

Anyone have any ideas, specs, or web page references?

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old May 16th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Anyone have any ideas, specs, or web page references?

It looks like a standard single band Zepp to me. It has
a very high feedpoint impedance which the 1/4WL of
ladder-line transforms down to the neighborhood of
50 ohms. There will be some feedline radiation. Please
note MFJ's admonition: "REQUIRES BALANCED LINE ANTENNA
TUNER OR TUNER/BALUN"
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old May 16th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
KC1DI

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I was browsing the MFJ online catalog and saw an "End Fed Zepp" antenna.
It looks like it would fit nicely in the space I have. I'm in Israel,
so the hassle and expense of ordering ones make we want to try to build it.

I've seen some writeups on end fed zepps, which were a short wire on the
"ground" side and a longer wire on the "hot" side. The MFJ looks like
a long wire on the "hot" side and a matching network made from a piece
of 450 ohm ladder line.

It looks like the ladder line is hung from the center insulator and the
coax is connected to the middle (figuratively) of the ladder line. The long
wire is connected to the "hot" side and the "ground" side is not connected,
but used for an insulating support rope.

Anyone have any ideas, specs, or web page references?

Thanks,

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

It's a standard end fed Zepp (The Zepp was designed as a single band
antenna , but will work with varying degrees of performance on other
bands as well. it's quite simple 1/2wave flatop endfed with open wire
line 1/4 wave (figure the velocity factor in ) must be fed with a
balanced tuner. they can work quite well but there will be some feed
line radiation , that's not always bad. see the following write up
http://www.cebik.com/gup/gup12.html

73 Dave Kc1di

Why Antenna Tuners Aren't Necessarily Useful for Shortwave Listening - Question Shortwave Listening (SWL) Antenna Tuners - Do You Have An Opinion ? Bob Miller Shortwave 40 September 3rd 12 02:15 PM
Got that Car/Truck AM/FM Radio in the Home : Now You Need an AM/MW Antenna or Two ! David Shortwave 0 May 4th 06 02:08 PM
Why Tilt ? - The Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole (TTFD / T2FD) Antenna RHF Shortwave 2 April 18th 06 10:21 PM
Grounding Steve Rabinowitz Shortwave 31 December 14th 05 05:26 AM
No CounterPoise - Portable Antenna System RHF Shortwave 1 November 19th 05 06:18 PM