Old May 28th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Yacht Rf ground and radials

wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:
Didn't they notice that the water lever dropped?

Not usually. They fill the hole in the water with so much money they
never notice anything else. :-)

Darn, when are they going to invent a spellchecker that can tell the
difference between "level" and my typo, "lever"?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 28th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Didn't they notice that the water lever dropped?

Not usually. They fill the hole in the water with so much money they
never notice anything else. :-)

Darn, when are they going to invent a spellchecker that can tell the
difference between "level" and my typo, "lever"?

Even a semantically-sensitive AI-type context checker would have had
problems with that one. "Water lever" is an obvious reference to the
float-and-valve arrangement in a toilet's water tank, and everybody
(including good AI systems) know very well that boats are the best
invention ever made for flushing money down a toilet.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 29th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Harrison

Reg, G4FGQ wrote:
"At radio fgrequencies the impedance of the connection to ground will be
that of the connecting wire only, even before the resistance of the
connecting wire to the water is taken into account."

In general, Reg is correct.

I`ve installed a marine radio on a yacht, engine powered not the sailing
kind. It worked well as expected and the owner paid promptly. I`ve also
installed radios of various types in many vessels including large ones
used on the high seas and small work boats serving the near offshore.
But, I never installed an antenna using radials on a boat or ship.
Radials can be hazardous to eyes and body parts at sea. For VHF, a
1/2-wave coaxial antenna has the same gain as a ground plane but needs
no radials. For HF, it`s easy and effective to use a loaded vertical
antenna against the sea as a return path.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, K5WZI

Old May 29th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jon KÃ¥re Hellan

Roy Lewallen writes:

bob wrote:
I dont have NEC4 is it too much to ask you to run the
model. Radials over sea water versus a direct connection?

Sure. How many, how high, and how long? The foot-long wire produces
efficiency of virtually unmeasurably close to 100%. So radials can't
be significantly better. What sort of efficiency are you expecting
from the radials?

How does a copper wire behave when submerged in salt water? Won't it corrode
rapidly, so that you don't get a metal to salt water connection, but
a capacitive coupling across copper oxide?

Not a rhetorical question, btw. I really don't know the answer.

73
LA4RT Jon
Old May 30th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck

Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:
Roy Lewallen writes:

bob wrote:
I dont have NEC4 is it too much to ask you to run the
model. Radials over sea water versus a direct connection?

Sure. How many, how high, and how long? The foot-long wire produces
efficiency of virtually unmeasurably close to 100%. So radials can't
be significantly better. What sort of efficiency are you expecting
from the radials?

How does a copper wire behave when submerged in salt water? Won't it corrode
rapidly, so that you don't get a metal to salt water connection, but
a capacitive coupling across copper oxide?

Not a rhetorical question, btw. I really don't know the answer.

73
LA4RT Jon

The copper alloys widely used in wires are quite resistant to corrosion.
Even when immersed in pure seawater, their corrosion rate there is on
the order of 0.025 mm/year. Unfortunately polluted waters can increase
that rate.

The metal to water interface may indeed be affected by the corrosion
layer. This problem is frequently seen by electricians when installing
grounding rods in the earth. However, I imagine the capacitance in this
case would provide sufficient coupling at RF so that it would not be a
problem. Biofouling might be of greater concern if corrosion does not
occur fast enough.

73,
Chuck
NT3G

Old May 30th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Ring

chuck wrote:

The copper alloys widely used in wires are quite resistant to corrosion.
Even when immersed in pure seawater, their corrosion rate there is on
the order of 0.025 mm/year. Unfortunately polluted waters can increase
that rate.

What then, would be polluted water? Salt water seems polluted enough.

tom
K0TAR

Old May 30th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Mike Monett

chuck wrote:

The copper alloys widely used in wires are quite resistant to corrosion.

[...]

73,
Chuck
NT3G

I don't know about corrosion resistance, but the copper wire used in
electrical conductors is very high purity. This is needed since any
contaminants reduce the conductivity. Here are a few quick references:

Copper is made with different purities depending on the application.
The highest grade copper is electrical grade. It is 99.99% pure and
is used for electrical cables because it has the best electrical
conductivity. Electrical grade scrap must never be mixed with any of
the lower purity grades such as plumbing tube scrap. This contains
too much phosphorus which drastically reduces the electrical
conductivity.

The lower grades of scrap can be used to make copper alloys or
chemicals. The copper sulphate you use in your school laboratory has
probably been made with scrap copper.

http://www.schoolscience.co.uk/conte...opch32pg3.html

Copper Facts

Electrical

Copper is the standard benchmark for electrical conductivity. It
conducts electrical current better than any other metal except
silver.

Copper is routinely refined to 99.98% purity (even more pure than
Ivory Soap) before it is acceptable for many electrical
applications.

Number 12 (AWG) copper wire is the most common size used for branch
circuit wiring in buildings. The amount of copper products consumed
in the U.S.A. this past year would make a size 12 wire that could
encircle the Earth 2,630 times or make 140 round trips to the Moon.

http://www.copper.org/education/c-fa...lectrical.html

Regards,

Mike Monett
Old May 30th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
chuck

Tom Ring wrote:
chuck wrote:

The copper alloys widely used in wires are quite resistant to
corrosion. Even when immersed in pure seawater, their corrosion rate
there is on the order of 0.025 mm/year. Unfortunately polluted waters
can increase that rate.

What then, would be polluted water? Salt water seems polluted enough.

tom
K0TAR

Copper piping and water jackets are often badly corroded when decaying
plant and animal mater and sediment are dormant in the pipe. This is
likely to be more troublesome in marinas and harbors than in the open
ocean (Sargasso Sea excepted, maybe).

"Particularly detrimental are sulfate-reducing bacteria in bottom mud
and sediment and on the natural sulfates in seawater." from "The
Boatowner's Guide to Corrosion" by Everett Collier.

73,
Chuck
NT3G

Old May 30th 06, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

You are all making a song and dance about it.

Whatever the ground electrode system happens to be, the impedance to
Earth cannot possibly be less than the series impedance of the
connecting lead. Which can be quite high at HF.

In my opinion, the most effective ground will always be a short,
thick, direct connection from the radio equipment to the internal hull
of a metal boat.

If you like, you can connect whatever else you have in mind in
parallel with it, probably at the other end of a long lead, and it
won't make the slightest improvement in performance.

Just use your loafs. And Happy sailing!
----
Reg, G4FGQ.

Old May 30th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

What then, would be polluted water?

Well, for starters, you could urinate in it.

Radials hasan schiers Antenna 0 March 22nd 06 10:42 PM
Grounds DJB Shortwave 8 March 11th 04 12:20 PM
Base Antenna Mounting Zeeeeeeee3 CB 110 February 23rd 04 03:55 AM