Old June 7th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Cecil Moore

Default Give up CB for ham?

clfe wrote:
DUH - I KNOW THAT - I was just saying the tapping let the people at the
surface know there were 9 people down there. MORSE CODE - "could" have
relayed much more info if one of them knew it. REREAD my message.......

How do you send a 'dash' by tapping on a pipe? You
apparently could revolutionize prison communications
by providing an answer to that simple question.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 7th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Cecil Moore

clfe wrote:
I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or someone else's who I didn't
see. In "my" example - I was saying if a MIC was broken and they knew code,
they could short out the tranmit pins - like making and breaking contact
such as a key would do - to broadcast a coded message. It "can" be done.

Please tell us when, in human history, it has ever been done.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 7th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
jawod

Cecil Moore wrote:

Please tell us when, in human history, it has ever been done.

Yes. It was an episode of the old Adam-12 TV series. Patrolman was
injured in a crashed cruiser. Mic out. but he could click the mic
button...the guy on the other end directed him to "click once if you
hear me and twice if you don't"

Classic television: you had to be there.
Old June 7th 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
kd5sak

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. com...
clfe wrote:
How do you send a 'dash' by tapping on a pipe? You
apparently could revolutionize prison communications
by providing an answer to that simple question.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

How about a fast double tap on the pipe (or bar) to signify a "dash"? It's
not an elegant solution, but could be made to work. Those guys are probably
not gonna try for 30 characters per minute anyway.

Harold
KD5SAK

Old June 7th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Caveat Lector

Default Caught Sending Morse (was Give up CB for ham?)

During long boring meetings at an Aerospace company, my buddy and I would
send Morse by pencil taps, sharp tap was a dit and a tap-scrape was a dah.
Worked well until a new manager gave his fist talk assuring us nothing would
change - we tapped out BS.

After the meeting, the new manager asked my buddy and I to stay for a moment
after the meeting,

With a smile, he sed Hi guys -- I'm W#XYZ

Real call sign disguised to protect the guilty (;-)

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

et...

Old June 7th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Cecil Moore

jawod wrote:
I seem to remember that the original Morse code was all clicks.

Wasn't there a strong click when the receiver circuit
closed and a different weak click when the circuit
opened? The length of time between those two types of
clicks was either a dot or a dash?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old June 7th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Caveat Lector

The first Morse machines scribed the dots and dashes on a moving strip of
paper. Operators of the day found that they could decode the sound of the
scriber by ear, so the scribing machines were scrapped.

http://www.maxmon.com/1880ad.htm

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
news

Old June 8th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.swap
Mike Burch

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and admitting it. You got some
points for that. :-)

LLOYD THE LARDASS LOSER DAVIES wrote:
I'm an inbred alabama hick and I hate CB.

Lloyd Davies N0VFP
Cow Cornholer
Nutsackkk Gobbler
Dumpster Dweller
in Athens, Alabama

wrote in message
oups.com...
Alot of people are telling me that CB is just for inbred hicks and that
I should replace the CB in my truck with a ham radio. What do you
thjink?