Old June 16th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Default Noise level between two ant types

Gene Fuller wrote:
Ionization threshold has nothing to do with "voltage". It has everything
to do with field strength.

Of course, static field strength implies energy which is
proportional to volts squared. Here's a quote from:

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/1999/novdec/mrstatic.html

"A corona discharge is also called a silent discharge. It
may be maintained as long as the breakdown *field strength*
is exceeded in some region—that is, as long as the *voltage*
of the electrode or the *charge density* of the charged
insulator is high enough."

Just before the field strength is high enough to cause
ionization, the voltage between the electrodes can be
measured. I don't see how ionization could occur at
zero volts which you seem to imply is a possibility.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 16th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Tom Donaly wrote:
Cecil, if you're too chicken to do the experiment, just say so,
I'll understand.

I did the experiment and posted how to do it.
Here it is again: Bring one end of a dipole down close
to the system ground rod. Charge up a capacitor to 12v.
Discharge the cap between the end of the dipole and
the ground rod. That pop you hear is NOT corona.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 16th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Tom Donaly wrote:
The air always has ions in it.

I hope you understand the difference between isolated ions
existing in the air and the air being ionized into a
conducting path. Isolated ions is not corona.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 16th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:
Cecil, if you're too chicken to do the experiment, just say so,
I'll understand.

I did the experiment and posted how to do it.
Here it is again: Bring one end of a dipole down close
to the system ground rod. Charge up a capacitor to 12v.
Discharge the cap between the end of the dipole and
the ground rod. That pop you hear is NOT corona.
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Hmmm.

10uF capacitor charged to 12 volts = dust particle

How much charge can a dust particle hold as it moves through the air
Cecil? Does it eventually assume the potential of the air? Can I
substitute a dust particle for a 1pF capacitor? For a 10pF capacitor?
For ten farads?

Why would anyone tgink that proves anything?

On the other hand I've been a few feet away from antennas in an
undisturbed environment, and I've seen and heard the corna many times.

Old June 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Gene Fuller

Cecil Moore wrote:
Gene Fuller wrote:
Ionization threshold has nothing to do with "voltage". It has
everything to do with field strength.

Of course, static field strength implies energy which is
proportional to volts squared. Here's a quote from:

http://www.ce-mag.com/archive/1999/novdec/mrstatic.html

"A corona discharge is also called a silent discharge. It
may be maintained as long as the breakdown *field strength*
is exceeded in some region—that is, as long as the *voltage*
of the electrode or the *charge density* of the charged
insulator is high enough."

Just before the field strength is high enough to cause
ionization, the voltage between the electrodes can be
measured. I don't see how ionization could occur at
zero volts which you seem to imply is a possibility.

Cecil,

Of course, static field strength implies energy which is
proportional to volts squared.

BZZZZT! More fractured physics.

Here's a hint. Voltage is often poorly defined since it requires a
reference. Very few physical phenomena depend on voltage as a primary
parameter.

I don't see how ionization could occur at
zero volts which you seem to imply is a possibility.

Huh?? Did I say that?

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old June 16th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore

Gene Fuller wrote:
Voltage is often poorly defined since it requires a
reference.

Yes, and the web page reference provided a well defined
reference between two electrodes with known capacitance.
There is *always* a relationship between electric field
strength and voltage. I disagree that they are unrelated
as you implied.

I don't see how ionization could occur at
zero volts which you seem to imply is a possibility.

Huh?? Did I say that?

No, but you implied it when you said "ionization threshold
has *nothing* to do with voltage". Nothing is zero so you
implied an ionization threshold is completely unrelated and
independent of volts. Do you want to amend that statement?
Maybe: "The relationship between field strength and voltage
is sometimes difficult to determine."?
--
73, Cecil, http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old June 16th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards

"Reg Edwards" wrote
About 20 years ago I measured the charge produced on a 150-feet,
long-wire, end-fed inverted-L antenna, using a DC, 0 to 50

micro-amp,
moving coil meter.

======================================

The VLF capacitance to ground of the 30-feet high antenna is about
250 pico-farads. Total capacitance including the air-spaced tuning
capacitor = 550 pico-farads.

Assuming a capacitor breakdown voltage of 2000 volts and a breakdown
rate of once per second, then leakage over several antenna insulators
must have been about 1800 megohms. A not unreasonable figure.

It's surprising what can be deduced from a simple but fundamental
relationship such as -

Q = C * V = I * T

where Q = capacitor charge in Coulombs, C = Farads, V = volts, I =
amps, T = seconds.

It's only arithmetic. ;o)

You could now estimate the receiver noise level in dBm, due to
precipitation of rain drops of given average diameter, on an antenna
at a rate of N drops per second, each drop charged up to a potential
of V volts relative to ground. You would, of course, have to take
receiver bandwidth and a lot of other things into account. So it's
probably not worth the time and trouble.
----
Reg.

Old June 16th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Donaly

Cecil Moore wrote:
Tom Donaly wrote:

Cecil, if you're too chicken to do the experiment, just say so,
I'll understand.

I did the experiment and posted how to do it.
Here it is again: Bring one end of a dipole down close
to the system ground rod. Charge up a capacitor to 12v.
Discharge the cap between the end of the dipole and
the ground rod. That pop you hear is NOT corona.

Most raindrops don't have a little plate and a wire to ground.
In order to mimic a raindrop, Cecil, you'd have to leave the
ground terminal of your capacitor floating. Do that and tell me
what you hear. Anyway, you're still not addressing the real
issue: can you tell whether or not it's raining solely by
listening to the static noise on your antenna?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Transfer Impedance(LONG) [email protected] Shortwave 8 March 15th 06 01:25 AM
ECM Noise on CB Zombie Equipment 6 June 4th 05 06:48 PM
'Crackling' Noise on HF Band RadioGuy Shortwave 7 April 20th 05 01:04 AM
RACAL RA-17C12 with DSP / digital readout Lucky Shortwave 9 March 15th 05 06:24 AM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM