Old April 19th 05, 02:15 PM
RadioGuy

Default 'Crackling' Noise on HF Band

Howdy:

Starting about three weeks ago I now have an S7-8 'crackling' noise on the
lower portions of the HF band but it can be heard distributed thoughout the
HF band although at reduced levels. There are times when the 'crackling'
noise becomes pulses of white noise (data stream?) with a duration of 1
second and separation of 0.1 second. I was able to time the pulses with WWV
'time-ticks' with perfect coincidence. There are instances when the noise is
non-existent or can barely be heard. Last night the 'crackling' noise
started at exactly 12:00 am and continues as I compose this posting.

When the noise started I was able to locate it with a portable AM radio
tuned to the high end of the broadcast band. I was able to trace the noise
directly to the TV and thence to the cable; the noise then peaked to a very
high level. Checking the mains with the radio also resulted in noise
strengths of similar levels. Checking outside I was able to find a noise
peak on the 'drop' running to the masthead from the pole, power meter,
breaker box and I found the noise on the telephone line as well. The noise
is confined to the immediate vicinity of the wiring although it is heard
with reduced strength in other parts of the front and back yard.

I am at the end of the 'line' at my location for telephone and cable TV
although the power line continues for a length until it terminates at
another pole and to a residence. I listened to the noise as I re-played the
'ARRL BPL Trials' QuickTime video and I was able to conclude that the
'crackling' noise sounded very similar if not identical to that on the
recording.

While tuned to a net channel on the 75 meter band I heard a ham comment that
there was a strong scratching noise that sounded odd and than maybe it was
coming from the powerline but didn't know for sure; the individual is
located in another part of the state. I don't claim that the noise he is
referring is being propagated from my location but may originate from a
similar source as mine.

I am not aware of any BPL service in my central Florida location nor have I
seen it advertised.

RG

Old April 19th 05, 02:48 PM
David

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:15:35 GMT, "RadioGuy"
wrote:

[...]

Get a little transistor radio, tune to an empty spot, and wander
around neighborhood.

Old April 19th 05, 03:22 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"RadioGuy" wrote:

(snipped for brevity)

RadioGuy-I think it might be a good idea to
email Ed at the ARRL: .

The reason I say this is...They may know of
a new system being put up in your area, and
if they don't, they'll certainly want to find out!

Let us know how you make out...

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Old April 19th 05, 05:19 PM

The first Sunday of last November,every time it rained here,it wouldn't
be long untill my stupid Bell South SUCKS! phone land line would Quit
working.I phoned Bell South SUCKS! from a neighbor's house across the
road from me,that was the following Monday morning when I first phoned
Bell South SUCKS! The following Friday afternoon,a Bell South SUCKS!
so-called "repairman" finally showed up at my house at 5:00 PM.Just by
coincendence,when he (Ivy is his name,he said he has been a Bell South
(SUCKS! "repairman") for thirty years,****! he hasen't got sense enough
to wipe his ass,in MY opinion) came into my house to check my phone jack
in my living room wall,just like magic,it started working again.The
first Monday before last Thanksgiving day of course it had rained here
again and I phoned Bell South SUCKS! again and that lieing ass bitch
over there in Atlanta or Birmingham,Alabama or wherever the hell they
are told me a Bell South (SUCKS "repairman" would be here on Thursday
after Thanksgiving day,the *******! never showed up here.It rained at
least eighteen times here and every single time,my land line went
out,Quit working.I finally got it "repaired" a few months ago by another
so-called Bell South SUCKS! "repairman",a guy by the name of Jason.He
disconnected a wire in the Bell South SUCKS! telephone networking box on
the wall in my carport and I! got charged $101.00 for their! ****up! It
could be water getting in your lines that might be causeing that
crackling noise.Other than that,I don't know.Sometimes when my phone
line quit working,it would sometimes make a crackling noise in my phone.
cuhulin

Old April 19th 05, 05:32 PM

There are eleven houses on the road I live on,including my house too,you
could walk from one end of the road to the other end in about two
minutes.From the South end of the road,it is slightly down hill to about
a third of the road.That so-called Bell South SUCKS! "repairman",Ivy is
his stupid name,was more interested in my 1942 Willys World War Two Jeep
sitting in my carport than repairing my phone line.That would be a good
Jeep for deer camp,he said.I wouldn't sell him my 1942 Willys World War
Two Jeep or my 1948 Willys civilian Jeep for all the damn money in the
World!
cuhulin

Old April 19th 05, 08:28 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"RadioGuy" wrote:

You bet Steve, I think that is the best thing to do. I suspect the same
as
you; a new system may be in trials. Let me tell you, if this is BPL and
the
signal strengths I measure are typical (on a short wire) folks can forget
HF
whenever the signal is present!

RG

(Insert flushing sound effect) ------ Yup, just like that!

73,

--
Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, Minnesota

Every moment of a human life is an act
of worship.

Coincidence is God's way of being anonymous.

Old April 20th 05, 01:04 AM
Greg

From: "RadioGuy"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:15:35 GMT
Subject: 'Crackling' Noise on HF Band

[...]

What city, if you don't mind saying? I live in Lakeland.

Greg