Old July 18th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

On 17 Jul 2006 20:12:08 -0700, "an old feind"
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:

Just show most hams licensed in the past 10 years a
schematic and ask them to find a component by function.

I can even my wife who frankly does not the why ofof it can tel the
component

I said "by function". Not "locate the resistor", but "locate the
balanced modulator circuitry".

You used to have to draw a few schematics on blank paper - no hints.
Now you have to be able to identify a resistor. Big deal - that
should take all of 3 seconds to memorize. Memorizing which side of
the heart sends out the oxygenated blood doesn't make you a cardiac
surgeon.
Old July 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

Al Klein wrote:

Just show most hams licensed in the past 10 years a
schematic and ask them to find a component by function.

I can even my wife who frankly does not the why ofof it can tel the
component

I said "by function". Not "locate the resistor", but "locate the
balanced modulator circuitry".

you were vague not my fault you can't express yourself

You used to have to draw a few schematics on blank paper - no hints.

so? you used to have as purely pacitcal matter build at at least some
of your station
Now you have to be able to identify a resistor. Big deal - that
should take all of 3 seconds to memorize. Memorizing which side of
the heart sends out the oxygenated blood doesn't make you a cardiac
surgeon.

nor is a EE needed to be ham and contrube to advancing the state of the
radio art

the tests needed to cover those things THEN

THEN they more os less needed to inculde Morse code (lathough it could
have been avoided but for the treaty)

times change

adapt or die

Old July 19th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Cecil Moore wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

The CW text requirement is like the requirement for a foreign language
requirement for some college degrees, ...

I carefully avoided any foreign language
requirement for my BS EE.

Computer program was substituted for foreign language where I went to
college.

Dave
Old July 19th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

David G. Nagel wrote:
Computer program was substituted for foreign language where I went to
college.

At Texas A&M in the late '50's, a BA in EE required a
foreign language but a BS didn't. Don't know why.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old July 19th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

Just show most hams licensed in the past 10 years a
schematic and ask them to find a component by function.

I can even my wife who frankly does not the why ofof it can tel the
component

I said "by function". Not "locate the resistor", but "locate the
balanced modulator circuitry".

you were vague

I said, "ask them to find a component by function". That's only vague
to those who don't understand simple English.

not my fault you can't express yourself

Not in what you use for language but, then, I speak English.

nor is a EE needed to be ham and contrube to advancing the state of the
radio art

No one said otherwise - but refusing to learn anything shouldn't be a
criterion, and it certainly doesn't contribute to anything but sloth.

the tests needed to cover those things THEN

THEN they more os less needed to inculde Morse code (lathough it could
have been avoided but for the treaty)

times change

adapt or die

Oh, I could pass a test on the technical aspects of communications as
it's practiced today. Could you? (Rhetorical question - I know you
couldn't.) And I don't mean could you memorize enough answers to
pass.

Old July 19th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:21:22 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

Computer program was substituted for foreign language where I went to
college.

Computer programming wasn't (as in, didn't exist), when I went to
college. Except maybe at IBM.
Old July 19th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 03:10:39 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

At Texas A&M in the late '50's, a BA in EE required a
foreign language but a BS didn't. Don't know why.

Language is an art?
Old July 19th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

At Texas A&M in the late '50's, a BA in EE required a
foreign language but a BS didn't. Don't know why.

Language is an art?

Back in the olden days a BA degree focused on art, humanities, language,
sociology, etc.

Back in the olden days a BS degree focused on math, more math, physics,
chemistry, biological sciences, etc.

The basic difference was M A T H ... M O R E M A T H ... then four or more
semesters of C A L C U L U S.

In fifty years I've forgotten most of that MATH and Calculus stuff, but I still
like to read about the humanities, history, sociology. That must mean
something. My degree, like Cecil's, is a BS [That does not stand for Bull S...]

Old July 19th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:19:52 -0400, Dave wrote:

In fifty years I've forgotten most of that MATH and Calculus stuff, but I still
like to read about the humanities, history, sociology. That must mean
something. My degree, like Cecil's, is a BS [That does not stand for Bull S...]

It's only been 43 years for me, but I've also forgotten some of the
math and I also like to read about some of the humanities. But I
still earn my living doing the BS stuff, although being a field
anthropologist does sound interesting.
Old July 19th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Al Klein wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:19:52 -0400, Dave wrote:

In fifty years I've forgotten most of that MATH and Calculus stuff, but I still
like to read about the humanities, history, sociology. That must mean
something. My degree, like Cecil's, is a BS [That does not stand for Bull S...]

It's only been 43 years for me, but I've also forgotten some of the
math and I also like to read about some of the humanities. But I
still earn my living doing the BS stuff, although being a field
anthropologist does sound interesting.

I retired from the BS business in 2000.

Now I'm an ordained minister, ordained in 1988 as a Catholic Deacon, and serve
as Chaplain to the incarcerated in addition to parish responsibilities.

Us old hams have diversified interests !!