Old July 26th 06, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

Dee Flint wrote:
"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

It DOES make a difference. It maintains the number of ways we can
exchange information, and as a filter to keep out some of the riff-raff
allowing you better enjoyment of the service.

I believe in keeping a basic test simply because a person can't determine if
they will like code until they've tried it. Plus it is one of the basics of
radio. If they have the basics and have thus learned it is not a big, scary
hurdle, they will be willing to pursue it in the future since they already
know it at a basic level.

meaning you basicaly belive that the Mode must be forced on everyone
as mode welfare

The filter argument, I consider totally bogus.

because

Code is either a basic part of ham radio or it is not. That should be the
criteria for determining if it should be tested.

Dee do you seriously support the implied postion that if we end Code
tesing we should indeed end Code USE?

4- Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

Probably wouldn't make any difference.

Of course it WILL make a difference! It creates an incentive to keep
studying and building on radio knowledge & skill by requiring an upgrade
after a year. And we end up with more knowledgable hams. How can that be
bad?

In today's climate, it will not be an incentive. Those who want to upgrade
don't need the non-renewability clause. The rest will simply let their
licenses lapse. Those who would let it lapse aren't on the air enough to
contribute anyway.

thanks a lot btch

Old July 26th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

"Sal M. Onella" wrote:

I wonder: Did the radio amateur community go through anything like this for
the transition away from spark?

Yes, they did.

--
73, Eric F. Richards, KB0YDN,
"A few old diehards still blazoned 'Spark Forever!' on their QSL cards..."
Old July 26th 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 25 Jul 2006 21:10:13 -0700, "an old feind"
wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

I believe in keeping a basic test simply because a person can't determine if
they will like code until they've tried it. Plus it is one of the basics of
radio. If they have the basics and have thus learned it is not a big, scary
hurdle, they will be willing to pursue it in the future since they already
know it at a basic level.

meaning you basicaly belive that the Mode must be forced on everyone
as mode welfare

As opposed to making a ham license something anyone can get merely by
asking for one - because, like you, they don't have the intelligence
to pass a real test.
Old July 26th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

I believe in keeping a basic test simply because a person can't determine if
they will like code until they've tried it. Plus it is one of the basics of
radio. If they have the basics and have thus learned it is not a big, scary
hurdle, they will be willing to pursue it in the future since they already
know it at a basic level.

meaning you basicaly belive that the Mode must be forced on everyone
as mode welfare

As opposed to making a ham license something anyone can get merely by
asking for one - because, like you, they don't have the intelligence
to pass a real test.

no one hass advocated giving a license away except of course procoders
like yourself
Funny I can mange ee qso's (second one last night) and yet you inist I
am unintelgent based on my inabilty to serve as a modem, a machine
funtion

Old August 2nd 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default VENT (OT) : Democrat's Out-Sourcing "Hate America" To Canada!

Paul Hinman wrote:
J. D. B. wrote:
Well at least your estate will get to keep your life savings. If you
get sick late in the year, and the healthcare facility/hospital shut
down for the rest of the year because it ran out of government money
(a typical scenario in Canada), there will be no one to give you any
care and you'll just die. But hey, your life savings will still be
intact! Is socialized health care great or what?

- At least in Canada you get to keep
- your life savings if you get sick.

I am a Canadian with serious chronic health problems and I have much
more experience with the health system than I would like to have, I
have come close being a silent key several times, I am sure that there
are some who feel that is too bad that I was allowed to breed before my
medical problems became obvious. In the minds of some I suppose that I
have peed in the genetic pool.

I have never heard of a Canadian hospital shutting down because the
money did not last until fiscal year end. While there are some
weaknesses in our system such as delays in elective procedures but when
the sand was running out of the hour glass there was always a system to
help me out. Here everyone can get insured, there is an option to opt
out of medicare but who would?

Think of the overhead that American doctors face having to deal with
multiple insurance companies, each with different forms and procedures.
Think of the people who can't get medical insurance no matter what the
cost. Think of those who don't have because they can't afford it. And
then there are those who exercise their right not have it.

In a situation where people get treated but can't afford to pay, the
rates for everyone else must go up to compensate.

Canada is not perfect but it is a pretty nice place to live and we try
to contribute as best we can.

By the way, if I were an American I would vote republican but I am not a
single issue voter so don't construe that to mean that I from the far
right wing. Consider me a fiscal conservative with a social conscience.

--
Paul S. Hinman - VE6LDS
long West 113 deg 27 min 20 sec

Canada is a perfectly wonderful place.

The original posting title "Democrat's Out-Sourcing 'Hate America' To
Canada !" sounds like it is right out of the Colbert Report.

In America today, to be fiscally conservative, one cannot be a
Republican. What's the deficit today? 3 trillion? 9 trillion? Who
gets a tax cut? the middle class? not lately.

Praise the Lord and pass the exemptions.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

In article TY1Ag.303358$iF6.152609@pd7tw2no,
Paul Hinman wrote:

J. D. B. wrote:

[...]

Interestingly, my wife is also a Canadian, she moved down here to the US
just before we got married. She worked only part time in Canada.
Aparantly, the health care is NOT universal, as many meds she needed she
had to pay for out of her own pocket, and had to wait months for an MRI
(She just had one here on one weeks notice). Yup, there are issues here
too, but the Canadian system is far from perfect either.
Old August 3rd 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave

Paul Hinman wrote:

J. D. B. wrote:

[...]

There are delays I will admit that. Universal means that everyone can
participate it, it does not mean that it covers everything. I also have
private insurance to cover drugs, dentistry, the surcharge for private
hosptital rooms etc. I guess that I got really ticked off when the guy
said that hospitals routinely close because they run out of money, that
was bull and it really ticked me off. Please excuse my sensitivity.

Paul