Old June 21st 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewithother.

Bill you are 100% wrong!

I am a right wing Republican, socially conservative, I attempt to be morally
correct [that makes me politically incorrect quite often], and Conservative
Christian [Clergyman]. I favor a very strong military [prior to my retirement
from engineering, I served for 6 years as Program Chief Engineer on the USAF MX
Missile (WS-118) RS/RV].

I believe the USA Constitution must be read and understood in the social context
in which it was written. Changes should be by amendment not judicial agenda.

/s/ Rev. Dave , AKA W1MCE

See, labels can be 100% incorrect when you don't know the other person's life story.

Old June 21st 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
notbob

On 2006-06-21, Dave wrote:

I served for 6 years as Program Chief Engineer on the USAF MX
Missile (WS-118) RS/RV].

You bragging or complaining?

nb
Old June 21st 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dr. Noonian Soong

darpa dave wrote:

I served for 6 years as Program Chief Engineer on the USAF MX
Missile (WS-118) RS/RV].

MX missiles destroyed my country, you insensitive clod!

Soong

Old June 21st 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Jozef

Hi there.

Just a quick thought. I will not jump into the code vs. no-code fray. That
said, I'd like to pass on an experience I had with a college professor
friend of mine many years ago, now passed (Doc Bronfield WA2SMW). I learned
CW at the age of 9 using flashing light. Now age 57. Got my novice at age 14
and general at age 15. The extra came easy as did 30 wpm plus CW. Not so
with my friend Doc. He tried and tried, and then we realized that he had
aural dyslexia. So I had an idea. With the help of local engineering types.
They built a keyer that could sent different frequencies slightly for the
dits and dahs. That was what he needed to get his code speed up and pass the
general using the keyer during a FCC test. Here's what I believe should
happen with CW. When I passed my extra there were no extra class operating
privileges issued, but the FCC issued a nice Extra class certificate for the
accomplishment (which I still have). I suggest we leave the 5 wpm code
requirement in place as it now is, but go back to issuing the 20 wpm
certificate by VE's. That would, perhaps, satisfy, the pro-code folk? It
would reward the accomplishment without necessarily making it an Extra class
requirement.

Jozef Hand-Boniakowski

WB2MIC

"Sal M. Onella" wrote in message

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
news
Dyslexia cannot apply, unless it is dyslexia that affects the
remembered dot/dash pattern of a single character.

Well, Larry, it took you to the last sentence, but you did actually lurch
into the problem.
Within seconds after learning what dah-dit-dit-dah means (or
dit-dah-dah-dit, for that matter), I fail to
accurately recognize them when they are sent again. Hundreds of tries --
all failures, all mine.

From your lofty perch, as a successful Morse Code user, you look down on
me.
You could stand to learn a
little humility. It would serve you and the amateur community better than
dah-dit-dah any day.

Old June 21st 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

Old June 21st 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

Dr. Noonian Soong wrote:

darpa dave wrote:

I served for 6 years as Program Chief Engineer on the USAF MX
Missile (WS-118) RS/RV].

MX missiles destroyed my country, you insensitive clod!

Soong

MX missiles have never been launched operationally. They were decommissioned by
treaty after the fall of the Soviet Union.

If they had been used WE wouldn't be here!

You are mistaken.

Old June 21st 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
David G. Nagel

Dr. Noonian Soong wrote:
darpa dave wrote:

I served for 6 years as Program Chief Engineer on the USAF MX
Missile (WS-118) RS/RV].

MX missiles destroyed my country, you insensitive clod!

Soong

In as much as the MX missile carries a hydrogen warhead I don't think
that Soong's country was destroyed by one.

Old June 22nd 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dr. Noonian Soong

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message

In as much as the MX missile carries a hydrogen warhead I don't think
that Soong's country was destroyed by one.

Dr. Nagel,

You please listen to me, I get PhD from big university. My university so
expensive most American can't buy cafeteria lunch.

Long time ago, many years, I make secret lair in Bikini Atoll. American
call it that, but I rename to Soong's Micronesian Micronation. It has nice
ring to it.

Anyway, I build androids and mind my own business, but one day I monitor
Americans and they say they blow up my island. Some missile test, but I say
waste of perfectly good rocks.

I detect submarine with my acoustics, and I transmit on ELF and say "Don't
blow up my island please!" But my Engrish so bad, they get confused and jam
me with much megawatts. I not give up though. I build big ideograph out of
bamboo, it say "Don't blow up my island thanks". But they have no analyst
that read my language. I escape in nick of time in my junk ship.

look at picture, see big hole in middle of island?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Atoll

MX missile destroy me. Now I teach dumb punk how to repair personal
computer. I get revenge. I build big contest station and beat everyone.

Soong

Old June 22nd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy
Dave

NOPE! The MX missile has 100% nothing to do with the Bikini Tests! Those tests
were conducted after WWII and ended in the 1950s. The MX missile initial
deployment was 1985.

By today's standards, the Bikini tests were low yield [~20KT] fission devices.
Today's standard is moderate yields [~300 to 500 KT] fission-fusion devices.

MX has nothing to do with Bikini Atoll.

Have fun building your androids.

Old June 23rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.cb
an_old_friend

Cecil Moore wrote:
Steveo wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
Can you dunk a basketball? If not, get back to us when you can.

I didn't know that was the hitch..can you still dunk?

If I don my knee braces, I still can. Can you?

The point is that some things are possible for each
individual and other things are impossible. Anybody
who can't dunk a basketball or pass a MENSA exam should
know how a person feels when they can't learn Morse code.

Cecil as good as it is your analogy still fails thanks to the fact that
if I can drunk (and I have no idea wether I can or not) it only means
something In Basketball. now if one inabilty to duck a basketball
barred them from all sports then you rise closer to the level of what
the code test is in the ARS
I personally think it would improve the ARS to only allow
MENSA engineers to be a member. How does that make you feel?

One of the brightest engineers I know, who has a commercial
FCC license and was the engineer at an AM broadcast station,
couldn't get past 5wpm so he was condemned to Tech class for
30 years. He knows more about radio than any ten other hams.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp