Old June 21st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

Default Signal Generator

Is there any chance I could find a used signal generator that would
cover up to 1.6 Ghz for less than $1000? When I say less than $1000, I
don't mean $999

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old June 21st 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
artie

In article ji2mg.57873$9c6.51371@dukeread11, Chris W
wrote:

Is there any chance I could find a used signal generator that would
cover up to 1.6 Ghz for less than $1000? When I say less than $1000, I
don't mean $999

Stability? Frequency accuracy? Phase noise? Output power? Sweep
capability?

There's a big price difference between synthesized and non-synthesized
rigs, as well as operational differences. Do you *need* the ability to
set the operating frequency easily, repeatedly, accurately? That may
point you to a synthesized/pll rig. But if you don't, such as doing
sweeps from about here to about there, non-synthesized rigs can do
fine.

Figure out what you *need* in terms of specs, and start looking around.

I'd say plenty is available for under $1000.

Wavetek 2002 for $200 on eBay -- that's good to 2.5 GHz. It's also a
sweeper. Other places have the 2002 for $100 up.

Or you can spend more money for HP/Agilent and get HPIB (remote
programming), stability, lower noise.

Wiltron 6647 on eBay, goes from .01 - 18 GHZ, for around $500, a
sweeper.

HP 8620C with 86222B, .01 - 2.4 GHz on eBay currently for under $200.

--
Namaste--