Old June 28th 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

Default Anyone here think they would pay for a map like this?

I have created some software to create a radial map to help you know
where to point your antenna. A sample of the map can be seen here...
http://www.thewishzone.com/cdw/hamradio/RadialMap.gif

Pretty much any part of this map can be customized from the start and
end point of the radials how many degrees apart each one is, having
multiple sets of radials, such as a set every 1 degree from 97 to 100
miles out with an other set from 5 to 200 miles every 15 degrees. Any
number of sets of any length can be done. As well as circles of any
size. All very easy, just supply the center lat long. I can also print
the map any size up to 42" wide/high. I've never printed had any paper
that big on this printer but I do know it will take paper that big. I
would have got a 36" wide printer but it was too slow, and this one is
faster. With the software I am developing creating the map is very easy
but obviously printing it isn't cheap.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

Gift Giving Made Easy
Get the gifts you want &
give the gifts they want
One stop wish list for any gift,
from anywhere, for any occasion!
http://thewishzone.com
Old June 28th 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ben Jackson

On 2006-06-28, Chris W wrote:
I have created some software to create a radial map to help you know
where to point your antenna. A sample of the map can be seen here...
http://www.thewishzone.com/cdw/hamradio/RadialMap.gif

I'm sure if you started charging for those you'd be hearing from
Delorme...

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 28th 06, 03:51 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Chris W

On 2006-06-28, Chris W wrote:

I have created some software to create a radial map to help you know
where to point your antenna. A sample of the map can be seen here...
http://www.thewishzone.com/cdw/hamradio/RadialMap.gif

I'm sure if you started charging for those you'd be hearing from
Delorme...

I'm sure I would too, that's why I am trying to contact them to see what
they have to say first. I may just print up one for me and a few for
some friends for the cost of using the printer and not sell them at all
but if it is something a lot of people would find useful and it can be
done for a reasonable price, then I will try to see if I can sell them.

Old June 28th 06, 07:46 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Brian Howie

In message 2mkog.58280$9c6.45638@dukeread11, Chris W
writes
[...]

There's a free utillity called Pizza that does something like this.
What I like about it is , you can import your antenna polar diagram from
NEC etc and overlay that as well as the compass bearing. OK it's just a
line drawing map , but good enough for most purposes.

http://tonnesoftware.com/pizza.html

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Old June 29th 06, 02:18 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Henry

geesh,just contact US geological service....any office.....I dealt with one
in denver and what ever US map you want is available for a few bucks

Henry

Old July 3rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Google Earth will give you the coordinates of a point anywhere. There are
lots of free ways to convert lat long to bearing such as trigonometry
spreadsheets - or a GPS.

Also, the FCC lists stations by lat/long.

Old July 3rd 06, 08:20 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Robert Haston wrote:
Google Earth will give you the coordinates of a point anywhere. There are
lots of free ways to convert lat long to bearing such as trigonometry
spreadsheets - or a GPS.

I'm obviously not explaining myself very well. I'm not trying to say I
have come up with some new revolutionary way to determine what heading
some place is from you. The ways of doing that are endless. Which one
is best, depends on the situation. Sure there are a number of places
you can purchase a map and draw radials on it. However the chances of
getting one that covers the area you want it to and having it centered
where you want it aren't very good. Drawing all that on a map by hand
is just way too much work if you ask me. I just think it is kind of
cool to have a large map hanging on my wall centered at my location with
radials going out. But hey I just like maps, guess that makes me weird.

Old July 4th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I suppose someone that didn't have a PC available to run DXATLAS might
want a wall map. For myself, wall space is at a premium, so anything
that I can do with the PC is better for me than a wall map.

DxAtlas (available shareware at dxatlas.com, $29.95 registration after
some preview time) provides a wealth of information relative to what you
are describing. Not only can you set it for your QTH and display the
world as a map, you can click on a given location and it will give you
the bearing heading and distance! It also integrates well with other
packages such as IonoProbe, and a large group of other programs...
All much more useful than a wall map, in my estimation...

Thanks
--Rick AH7H

Old July 15th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.ham-radio,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Chris W" wrote in message
Robert Haston wrote:
[...]

In areas that aren't flat, reflection(s) on VHF/UHF from nearby hill(s)
and/or building(s), a map that shows the direct path for a signal may be
useless. Point the antenna where the signal is strongest or least affected
by multipath... no map needed. I learned that lesson when
installing/maintaining FM broadcast (67KHz SCA) background music receivers,
back when I was young and impressionable. Now, I'm not so young... ;-)

Still, the map would look good on the wall in the shack!

Vy 73,

Bryan
WA7PRC