Old July 20th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna installed below ridge line?

What kind of loss will I have if I install this antenna on our 2nd
story roof, but below the ridge line? We live in a neighborhood where
no one has an antenna and wife is worried about the ascetics of it.

Channel Master 4228 with a rotor of course.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fzc9uoN...5920&I=6594228

Old July 20th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What kind of loss will I have if I install this antenna on our 2nd
story roof, but below the ridge line? We live in a neighborhood where
no one has an antenna and wife is worried about the ascetics of it.

When the antenna is pointing towards transmitter towers for which it
has a clear field of view (that is, not towards the house's ridgeline)
it ought to work well. The presence of the ridgeline "behind" the
antenna ought to have only a minor effect, because the antenna is
equipped with a reflector that will make it quite insensitive to
signals arriving from behind.

On the other hand, if you rotate it so that it's trying to "see
through" the ridge line of the house, to a transmitter tower located
on the opposite side of the building, it could perform rather
poorly. Just how poorly will depend on the actual construction of the
roof. If there's a significant amount of metal involved (if e.g. the
inside of the roof is insulated with batts of fiberglass that have a
foil vapor barrier) you'd have to expect a lot of signal attenuation,
and you might or might not get an acceptable signal. In this
situation, you might actually get a more usable signal by rotating the
antenna so that it points _away_ from the transmitter, and towards a
nearby building or other structure which reflects some of the signal
from the transmitter.

The key thing to remember is that UHF signals travel almost entirely
by "line of sight", and to a lesser extent by line-of-sight with one
or more reflections. You can't count on much of the signal either
getting through, or diffracting around solid obstacles between your
antenna and the transmitter.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old July 21st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
What kind of loss will I have if I install this antenna on our 2nd
story roof, but below the ridge line? We live in a neighborhood where
no one has an antenna and wife is worried about the ascetics of it.

Channel Master 4228 with a rotor of course.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fzc9uoN...5920&I=6594228

I have a corner reflector Yagy/w UHF amp with a short mast mounted on a vent
pipe. The antenna is lower than the peak of the roof. Oddly, I am picking up
HD stations 65 miles away when the antenna is pointed at the attic.

Tam

Old July 21st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

If the antenna is mounted just level with the obstructing ridge, then
the refraction over the ridge is only about 6 dB less than when the
antenna is in the clear.

But below that level the refraction loss increases very rapidly.

Old July 24th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I would be placing it just even with the ridge line. Sounds like that
this shouldn't be a big issue then.

Thanks for the help.

Reg Edwards wrote:
If the antenna is mounted just level with the obstructing ridge, then
the refraction over the ridge is only about 6 dB less than when the
antenna is in the clear.

But below that level the refraction loss increases very rapidly.

Bose Wave Radio - What's Your Opinion ? David Shortwave 16 June 12th 06 07:48 AM
I Want Another Antenna Lenny Shortwave 4 January 23rd 06 10:12 PM
Imax ground plane question Vinnie S. CB 151 April 15th 05 05:21 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM