Old July 22nd 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default QST's Louisiana Loop

I am considering building the Louisiana loop shown in this month's QST.
It is basically an inverted delta loop. I don't know if I can model
it on EZNEC (I guess I can...but I've only progressed through a dipole
or two).

I actually intend to string it up among some trees in the backyard in a
sort of temporary fashion.

Realizing the directionality involved, I will aim it toward Asia over
Alaska.

Now, any caveats or recommendations or ? before I embark on my first
antenna build?

I don't at present even know the feedpoint impedance but I intend to use
RG8U for feedline if that's possible. There is no mention of an UNUN or
Balun in the article.

What do youse think? Thinks?

John
AB8WH

PS, I'll give the hoberman sphere a rest for a while (hi)
Old July 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

jawod wrote:
[...]

Hi John, The model does not account for the metal tower right in the
middle of the delta loop. It will have some effect on the feedpoint
impedance, as well as the pattern.

If I were to string it up among trees, I would go with a standard (not
inverted) delta loop configuration. According to the article, it gives
about 1 db more forward gain at an elevation angle that might favor dx.
You won't have to worry about a tower messing things up either.

As for feeding the loop, consult the ARRL Antenna book for the various
methods. For a single band Quad or delta loop, I would use a series
transmission line matching transformer. Thats what I think.

Gary N4AST

Old July 24th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
jawod wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your input, Gary!
Old July 24th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

jawod wrote:
[...]

This antenna was meant to be fed as a multiband antenna using open wire
feedline and a tuner.

Its height dependent. The takeoff angle on 20 is high. I myself would
use a dipole with open wire feedline. However the authors intentions was
for a compact multiband antenna. If you have trees use the large loop
as in the ARRL antenna handbook.

For a better antenna that feeds with open wire line and that has a ideal
low angle pattern on all band from 20 meters to 10. Look at the
horizontal magnetic slot antenna. You can find details in the latest
RSGB handbook.

A good tuner for these antennas is the Balanced Tuner by Measures.

Pat
Old July 25th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

test wrote:
jawod wrote:

[...]

Pat,
Thanks for the input.
I have a question.

Why do you say that the antenna was meant to be fed using open wire
feedline?

In the article, it shows an SO239 bulkhead to be attached to RG8U cable.

John
AB8WH

Old July 25th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

jawod wrote:
test wrote:
jawod wrote:

[...]

I Hope we talking about the same antenna?

I am talking about the antenna in this months QST page 38 ZS6AAA

"The Compact Quad Multiband Hf Antenna" August 2006

So i hope i have not crossed wires here. But this antenna is open wire
fed, supported on a single fibreglass pole.

Pat

Old July 25th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Maxwell Smart #99 wrote:
jawod wrote:

test wrote:

jawod wrote:

[...]

Sorry OM, I was talking about the "Loosiana Loop", an inverted delta
loop on a PVC mast. This one's on p. 32.
Old July 25th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

jawod wrote:
[...]

Well, here's something new...responding to my own post (sort of)

As I started to collect parts needed for this antenna, I realize that
lightweight aluminum tubing at 7/8, 3/4 and 5/8 inches is not available
from Loews.

What's a good local source for aluminum tubing?
Old July 25th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:04:05 -0400, jawod wrote:

What's a good local source for aluminum tubing?

Hi John,

Look in the yellow pages for "metal shorts."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 25th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Which is also where you look if you're trying to protect the genetic
integrity of possible future offspring while being exposed to
significant electromagnetic radiation.

Dan