Old October 12th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Ed Ed is offline

Default If two no-code hams contact each other on CB, is that a real QSO?

God Bless you too, but don't believe the statement below for an instant!

Nah, the spectrum has moved up to SHF, no one in govt or industry gives a
rat's ass about the spectrum below 30 MHz.

[Thanks for the cross posting. I need the publicity]

--
god bless

Old October 12th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Ed wrote:
God Bless you too, but don't believe the statement below for an instant!

Nah, the spectrum has moved up to SHF, no one in govt or industry gives a
rat's ass about the spectrum below 30 MHz.

Top posting makes this very confusing.

However, I am convinced that nobody in industry or at the FCC cares about
anything other than optimizing short-term revenue. The notion of optimizing
spectrum use for the greatest good went out with the Carter administration.
This is one of the greatest tragedies of our time in my opinion.
--scott
Old October 12th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

______
/ \
.' PLEASE `.
| DO NOT | _____
| FEED THE | ,'.....`.
`. TROLLS ,' ,'........ )
\_ _/ |........ ,'
| | `. .... _/
| | ,'.,'-'
| | /../
| | ,'.,'
| | /../
. | | /..'
.\_\| |/_/,
___ | | ___
. `--' .
. .
--
William Warren

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)
Old October 13th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Is a contact with a no-code ham a real QSO?

"U-Know-Who" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
ink.net...
Papa Dog wrote in
:

In article . net,
says...
Papa Dog wrote in
:

In article . net,
says...
Phil Wheeler wrote in
:

AC7PN wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
Or is it like talking to someone on CB?

SC

The answer is "yes it is a real contact" and so far as you
were communicating with some one using a radio it also is "like
talking to someone on CB."

Dude, your arrogance is showing.

I would have said ignorance

73, Phil W7OX

Don't tell me You want to dumb down ham radio now as well. Where
have all the communicators gone?

SC

Any 12 year old can learn code in 2 weeks. Getting rid of it would
not dumb down Ham radio at all. Code is a good thing to know.
Whether you use it or not is a personal preference. I think
programming you're own software to send code yourself and building
your own radio is a lot more technical than learning code.

73

Chris

But people don't want to be skilled at anything anymore. They don't
want to make an effort to learn CW, they may not make an effort to
learn other things to advance themselves technically either.

SC

If a 12 year old can learn it I don't consider it much of a technical
skill. Nothing at all technical about CW. Building a transmitter,
now that takes somw technical know how.

Chris

Well if it's not a problem to learn, let's keep the requirement and
raise it to 13WPM. It's a bit boring doing code at 5 words per minute,
and at 13 WPM you can copy someones call for help almost three times as
fast.

SC

Name one real/valid/probable scenario for this. Let me guess, you crash
land on the moon, have only a D-cell battery, some wire, a butter knife,
happen to find some crystals, some silicon, somehow beyond your
knowledge or abilities, manage to build a transmitter, and send your SOS
back to Earth. Is that about right? Nah, you'd die trying to make it
iambic.

That's terrible logic.

You sound like you would be the sort of person people see along side a
highway with a flat tire and no spare.

SC
Old October 13th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

William Warren wrote in
t:

______
/ \
.' PLEASE `.
| DO NOT | _____
| FEED THE | ,'.....`.
`. TROLLS ,' ,'........ )
\_ _/ |........ ,'
| | `. .... _/
| | ,'.,'-'
| | /../
| | ,'.,'
| | /../
. | | /..'
.\_\| |/_/,
___ | | ___
. `--' .
. .

That's pretty good. :-)

I know what you mean about the trolls Bill. I've decided to not follow-up
to anything Markie Morgan, KB9RQZ posts anymore. Not that I ever remember
seeing him posting anything that was worth a follow-up, but he's such a
friggen retard that sometimes a person looses control and flames his dumb
ass. I'm trying to watch out for that now. Thanks again for posting the
cute sign. 73 How's your code practice coming along?

SC

Old October 17th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Cecil Moore wrote in
om:

Slow Code wrote:
You sound like you would be the sort of person people see along side a
highway with a flat tire and no spare.

Exactly what happens to all Harley riders by choice.
Why are you so against freedom of choice? There's
an article in Worldradio about how ham radio saved
a guy's life. I guess FM saving someone's life doesn't
count with you, huh?

I'm not against choice. They can choose to be a ham, or they can choose
to be a CB'er. What they have to decide is how bad do they want to be a
ham. I enjoy hams on the bands, if I didn't, I'd buy a CB.

SC