Old April 3rd 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default FT243 Crystal Sockets?

Can anyone suggest where I could obtain a couple of
FT243 crystal sockets?

Old April 3rd 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Theo wrote:
Can anyone suggest where I could obtain a couple of
FT243 crystal sockets?

ICM should have some in stock.

In a pinch, you can make an improvised one with two RCA jacks.
--scott

Old April 3rd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 3 Apr 2007 10:13:41 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote in :
Theo wrote:
Can anyone suggest where I could obtain a couple of
FT243 crystal sockets?

ICM should have some in stock.

In a pinch, you can make an improvised one with two RCA jacks.

An octal socket will hold two FT243 rocks, if you have the real-estate
for it.

I _SWEAR_ the sigmonster pulled the .sig out all by itself. I have had
my suspicions about it having become sentient, but *this* clinches it.

--
I still can't see a wasp without thinking "400K 1W"
- Derek Potter, uk.misc
Old April 3rd 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thanks Scott, but who are ICM?
Not heard of them this side of the pond!

Old April 3rd 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Theo" ) writes:
Thanks Scott, but who are ICM?
Not heard of them this side of the pond!

"International Crystal Manufacturer", though perhaps they've actually
changed the name to "ICM" by now. A long existing crystal manufacturer
in the US.

There must be an equivalent company over there that manufactures crystals,
and hopefully still deals in small quantities, but just as you've not heard
of ICM, I don't have a clue what businesses in the UK or even Europe do
that sort of thing.

Michael VE2BVW

Old April 3rd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 3 Apr 2007 16:36:04 GMT, Michael Black wrote in :
"Theo" ) writes:
Thanks Scott, but who are ICM?
Not heard of them this side of the pond!

"International Crystal Manufacturer", though perhaps they've actually
changed the name to "ICM" by now. A long existing crystal manufacturer
in the US.

More properly:

International Crystal
10 N. Lee Avenue
Oklahoma City OK 73102
USA
1-405-236-3741

They're about two miles from where I work. I _really_ ought to go over
there some day, introduce myself as a ham, and see if they'll give me
the nickel tour.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old April 3rd 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Theo" ) writes:
Thanks Scott, but who are ICM?
Not heard of them this side of the pond!

"International Crystal Manufacturer", though perhaps they've actually
changed the name to "ICM" by now. A long existing crystal manufacturer
in the US.

More properly:

International Crystal
10 N. Lee Avenue
Oklahoma City OK 73102
USA
1-405-236-3741

They're about two miles from where I work. I _really_ ought to go over
there some day, introduce myself as a ham, and see if they'll give me
the nickel tour.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin

Mike, drive around back and see if they got anything good in the
dumpster.

Old April 3rd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Theo wrote:
Thanks Scott, but who are ICM?
Not heard of them this side of the pond!

International Crystal Manufacturing. They still make new FT243 crystals!
--scott

Old April 6th 07, 11:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Apr 3, 10:41?am, "Mike Andrews" wrote:
On 3 Apr 2007 10:13:41 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote in :

In a pinch, you can make an improvised one with two RCA jacks.

An octal socket will hold two FT243 rocks, if you have the real-estate
for it.

In my younger days I made them from old octal sockets.

What I did was to select an old molded *BAKELITE* octal
socket that still had two or four good contacts properly spaced
(alternate pins). Sockets with damaged or missing mounting rings were
preferred. With luck and care you can get two xtal sockets from one
octal.

Then I'd remove the mounting ring and cut the bakelite piece in half
so that I had a piece with two contacts and the pin hole betwen them.
The hole between would then be drilled through for a 4-40 mounting
screw.

Then I would clean up the rough edges with various flat files. (I had
a lot of time and energy in those days).

End result is an FT-243 socket as good as any bakelite one you could
buy.

--

Another trick is:

1) Use an intact octal socket
2) Wire pins 1, 2, 5 and 6 together for one side of the circuit
3) Wire pins 3, 4, 7 and 8 together for other side of the circuit

Wired that way, you can plug an FT-243 in any way it will fit properly
and it will work.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think I shall make one just for the heck of it.