Old August 6th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Tom Tom is offline

Default Solid State 872 rectifier help

I have what I believe to be six solid-state 872A replacements. They were
made by Motorola and have the part number SDA 188 and date code of 1967.
They have plate cap and 4 pins base with locator pin on side to fit
Johnson socket. They are 3- 3/16 high and a diameter of 1-13/16. Aluminum
can with ceramic base and epoxy filled. I am wondering if anyone has any
data on these to confirm that these are 872 replacement. I have done
several WEB searches but was unable to get any good hits. Thanks Tom
Wb6iqd
Old August 6th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tom wrote:
I have what I believe to be six solid-state 872A replacements. They were
made by Motorola and have the part number SDA 188 and date code of 1967.
They have plate cap and 4 pins base with locator pin on side to fit
Johnson socket. They are 3- 3/16 high and a diameter of 1-13/16. Aluminum
can with ceramic base and epoxy filled. I am wondering if anyone has any
data on these to confirm that these are 872 replacement. I have done
several WEB searches but was unable to get any good hits. Thanks Tom

Time to get out the Simpson 260. What base pins connect to the plate,
and in which direction?
--scott
Old August 7th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Tom Tom is offline

Simpson and other VOMs do not have enough voltage to exceed the forward
breakdown voltage of a high voltage rectifier which are normally made with
a number of diodes in series. I know the correct pins. I want to comfirm
these are 872 replacement and not some other.

Old August 7th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tom wrote:
Simpson and other VOMs do not have enough voltage to exceed the forward
breakdown voltage of a high voltage rectifier which are normally made with
a number of diodes in series. I know the correct pins. I want to comfirm
these are 872 replacement and not some other.

If it has the same pinout as the 872, and the has the same series resistance
as the 872, and it has as high a breakdown voltage as the 872, I'd say it's
an 872 replacement. It might not say so in the catalogue but it still is.
--scott

Old August 7th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tom wrote:
Simpson and other VOMs do not have enough voltage to exceed the forward
breakdown voltage of a high voltage rectifier which are normally made with
a number of diodes in series. I know the correct pins. I want to comfirm
these are 872 replacement and not some other.

If it has the same pinout as the 872, and the has the same series
resistance
as the 872, and it has as high a breakdown voltage as the 872, I'd say
it's
an 872 replacement. It might not say so in the catalogue but it still is.
--scott

Without knowing the device's PIV and current rating,
it would be hard to say what it replaces. The resistance
would be different from a vacuum
or mercury vapor if the replacement is solid state.

I'd try an older Motorola TwoWay shop for advice.
A lot of hams work in them, and one of them might
have first hand experience with the part. Most
Motorola part numbers are a lot longer--the one you
gave doesn't look quite right.

pete