Old October 22nd 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave
CP CP is offline

Default WTD: Heathkit HR-10B mods

Anyone have a copy of the magazine article (73?) that is purported to have
modifications for the Heathkit HR-10B ham band receiver? While in Boston, I
picked up one of these little green guys at the MIT monthly ham flea market
this weekend and before I go through the radio, I'd like to get my ducks in
a row, modification-wise.
thanks
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

Old October 23rd 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Heathkit HR-10B mods

"CP" wrote in message
Anyone have a copy of the magazine article (73?) that is purported to have
modifications for the Heathkit HR-10B ham band receiver? While in Boston,
picked up one of these little green guys at the MIT monthly ham flea
market
this weekend and before I go through the radio, I'd like to get my ducks
in
a row, modification-wise.
thanks
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

First Heatkit receiver that I built in 1972

Restoration (Electric Radio -- Nov 2006)
http://www.willydog5.com/index.php?o...13&Itemi d=39

http://listserv.tempe.gov/admin/WA.E...th&F=P&P=18331

Old October 23rd 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"CP" ) writes:
Anyone have a copy of the magazine article (73?) that is purported to have
modifications for the Heathkit HR-10B ham band receiver? While in Boston, I
picked up one of these little green guys at the MIT monthly ham flea market
this weekend and before I go through the radio, I'd like to get my ducks in
a row, modification-wise.
thanks
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

But which article? The one in 1967, which was the "Canadian Issue" so it
must have been July? That one was written by a Canadian, and I can't remember
what was in there.

There was also one in the November 1972 issue of 73, again I can't remember
what was in there.

I also think there might have been a brief bit somewhere along the way, of
a power supply modification, but that might have been in one of the major
articles.

I can picture both articles as having a few mods each, but I may
be mixing them up. Somewhere in one of them was a bit about improving
the selectivity, which is the most specific detail I remember.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 25th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"CP" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks but I found these too with the usual searches.
Bob

First Heathkit receiver that I built in 1972

Restoration (Electric Radio -- Nov 2006)
http://www.willydog5.com/index.php?o...13&Itemi d=39

http://listserv.tempe.gov/admin/WA.E...th&F=P&P=18331

I have paper copies (notes and some copies) of the HR-10B modifications
that you are asking about -- but have not found an Internet source.
Many of these are marginal to bad.
The voltage regulator tube mod for regulation of the VFO voltage
is probably the most popular.

gb

Old October 25th 07, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

CP wrote:
Anyone have a copy of the magazine article (73?) that is purported to have
modifications for the Heathkit HR-10B ham band receiver? While in Boston, I
picked up one of these little green guys at the MIT monthly ham flea market
this weekend and before I go through the radio, I'd like to get my ducks in
a row, modification-wise.
thanks
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

Why modify it? It's a 40 year old entry level radio. Why try and make it
into something it was never meant to be? I respectfully suggest that you
just restore it to operational condition and enjoy it for what it is.
Old October 25th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

"Billy Burpelson" wrote in message
CP wrote:
Anyone have a copy of the magazine article (73?) that is purported to
have
modifications for the Heathkit HR-10B ham band receiver? While in Boston,
picked up one of these little green guys at the MIT monthly ham flea
market
this weekend and before I go through the radio, I'd like to get my ducks
in
a row, modification-wise.
thanks
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

Why modify it? It's a 40 year old entry level radio. Why try and make it
into something it was never meant to be? I respectfully suggest that you
just restore it to operational condition and enjoy it for what it is.

I may have to agree with Billy about not modifying the rig. I say "may"
because I'm not aware of the mods listed - or how they might improve the
radio if any. NOR have I heard of any rigs having been done - and any
results.

Mods "can" be nice - if they "enhance" a radio's performance. However - most
of the mods I see - tend to turn a radio to crap - more often than not. I've
done some myself - and well - though I know they were done correctly - lets
face it - the radio worked better as it was "intended" and it didn't take me
long to put it back to normal. Then I've seen still other's that flat out
made radios sound like pure garbage.

But in the grand scheme of things - based on my own experiences and not
knowing the end results of said mods -I'm inclined to agree with Billy -
retore it as it was meant to be - and enjoy the "relic" of the past.
Besides, if you go to sell it again, it seems to me, it would fetch more -
restored OR "original" - than butchered up.

Just my 2 cents.

Old October 25th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave

CP wrote:
[...]

I just recalled a few radios (transmitter/receiver/transceiver) - I was
asked to "undo". One of which was a Drake. Though the work - "seemed" to be
done "neatly" - it turned the rig into a pile of dung. The owner paid one
guy to modify it - paid me to "un" modify it. Just goes to show - they're
not always what they're cracked up to be/do.