Old January 2nd 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Where's the moderator???????

It is true that this particular newsgroup does not have a moderator,
but there are moderated usenet groups.

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 19:04:44 -0500, Chuck Harris
wrote:

This is a usenet group. There is no moderator.

wrote:
Wake up!!! Can't you stop all these bull**** MI5 persecution posts????
They're absolutely clogging up all the rec.radio listings!!!!! Please
do your job!

Old January 2nd 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:

Erekose is probably still there. I have used his services on a number of
occasions.

However, I have seen no sign that RCN filters anything out of their news
feeds.

It's crazy not to, because there is convenient automated software that
does the job for you, and integrates well into the two most popular news
server packages, INN and CNEWS.

And because Usenet propagates from site to site, if your server runs
cleanfeed, the benefit is seen by all of the sites downstream of it.
This means the guys they feed are happier too.

I could easily do the same thing by running my news through my spambayes
proxy. But I don't really care enough to bother.

It would be so terribly useful if Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey would provide
the same message filter capabilities for news that it does for email.

I have asked them about it but they just get all testy and tell me to do
it myself.

Doesn't it allow simple regexp searches in headers? rn did that twenty-five
years ago. Just kill anything with more than three commas in the Newsgroups:
line.
--scott
Old January 2nd 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
Erekose is probably still there. I have used his services on a number of
occasions.

However, I have seen no sign that RCN filters anything out of their news
feeds.

It's crazy not to, because there is convenient automated software that
does the job for you, and integrates well into the two most popular news
server packages, INN and CNEWS.

As I understand things, it is a "common carrier" sort of thing. If you make
no effort to filter or censor a feed, then you are not responsible for its
content. If RCN were to make an effort to filter out junk like the MI5 stuff,
and other nasties, and they missed some, then they would be open to being sued
for what they missed. It is like the protection the telephone company has
against being sued because of folks that use the telephone to perform illegal
activities.

And because Usenet propagates from site to site, if your server runs
cleanfeed, the benefit is seen by all of the sites downstream of it.
This means the guys they feed are happier too.

I could easily do the same thing by running my news through my spambayes
proxy. But I don't really care enough to bother.

It would be so terribly useful if Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey would provide
the same message filter capabilities for news that it does for email.

I have asked them about it but they just get all testy and tell me to do
it myself.

Doesn't it allow simple regexp searches in headers? rn did that twenty-five
years ago. Just kill anything with more than three commas in the Newsgroups:
line.
--scott

No, Mozilla/Thunderbird/Seamonkey doesn't understand regular expressions. They
have never taken the email and newsreader portions very seriously. The best they
can do is to select on a word, or a part of a word... pretty dumb, actually.

-Chuck
Old January 2nd 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:

As I understand things, it is a "common carrier" sort of thing. If you make
no effort to filter or censor a feed, then you are not responsible for its
content. If RCN were to make an effort to filter out junk like the MI5 stuff,
and other nasties, and they missed some, then they would be open to being sued
for what they missed. It is like the protection the telephone company has
against being sued because of folks that use the telephone to perform illegal
activities.

That's stupid. Dump RCN and get an account with a competently run news
server. Anybody who would hide behind that sort of reasoning has no business
connecting their machine to Usenet.

ISPs have NO common carrier protection of any sort... and if a good faith
effort at maintaining their feed isn't sufficient, that is no excuse not
to make such an effort...
--scott

Old January 2nd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
As I understand things, it is a "common carrier" sort of thing. If you make
no effort to filter or censor a feed, then you are not responsible for its
content. If RCN were to make an effort to filter out junk like the MI5 stuff,
and other nasties, and they missed some, then they would be open to being sued
for what they missed. It is like the protection the telephone company has
against being sued because of folks that use the telephone to perform illegal
activities.

That's stupid. Dump RCN and get an account with a competently run news
server. Anybody who would hide behind that sort of reasoning has no business
connecting their machine to Usenet.

I am not aware of RCN having made any statements on the subject. I am simply
telling you my understanding of the legal issue.

ISPs have NO common carrier protection of any sort...

Oh but they do! Otherwise they would be liable for all of the nasty
stuff goes over their feed. Things such as illegal downloads of copyrighted
material, software piracy, kiddie porn...

and if a good faith
effort at maintaining their feed isn't sufficient, that is no excuse not
to make such an effort...

Personally, I would prefer that they didn't attempt to be a censor of what
comes over my feed. There tastes might differ from my own. I would prefer
to control the filters.

-Chuck

Old January 2nd 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

ISPs have NO common carrier protection of any sort...

Oh but they do! Otherwise they would be liable for all of the nasty
stuff goes over their feed. Things such as illegal downloads of copyrighted
material, software piracy, kiddie porn...

If the FCC has not given it the status of a common carrier, and it is
not regulated by a public utility commission, it is not a common carrier
under US law. European law may be different.

The degree to which an ISP is legally liable for the traffic they transmit
is still under discussion. Look at the Communications Decency Act, for
example, which makes the ISP liable for a lot of things which they legally
could not be if they had been declared common carriers.

Personally, I would prefer that they didn't attempt to be a censor of what
comes over my feed. There tastes might differ from my own. I would prefer
to control the filters.

But they have to be. Even setting retention and expiration times and
deciding which of the millions of newsgroups to carry and whether to
accept different kinds of control messages is in some way attempting to
"censor what comes over your feed." Your news admin has limited resources;
he can apply them toward getting more binaries groups, or he can apply them
toward extending retention times of existing groups. He can set things up
so that higher traffic groups expire faster. It is what news admins do.
--scott