Old August 25th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default WTB - 1967 ARRL Operators Manual

GM,

I am a new ham interested in CW and would really like to find an
operators manual written before the topic of CW started to be diluted.

I would prefer a 1st or 2nd edition.

TNX
73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647
Old August 25th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"W9HGO" wrote in message
GM,

I am a new ham interested in CW and would really like to
find an
operators manual written before the topic of CW started to
be diluted.

I would prefer a 1st or 2nd edition.

TNX
73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647

Do you mean a Radio Amateurs Handbook? If so look at
this group, some have been advertized in the last couple of
weeks. The books may be helpful if you want to build CW
transmitting equipment but its very simple (one of the
virtues of CW). If you want to learn code there are a lot of
resources on the web. One is the code practice files
available from W1AW, the ARRL headquarters station. Practice
at speeds from 5 WPM to 40WPM is available along with the
text. There are also a couple of good code practice programs
available free. Do a google search for G4FON. This program
will teach you code a letter at a time and can translate any
text file into CW. Also search for Teach 4 another good
program that works a bit differently. These programs help
you learn the code by sound rather than trying to memorize
letters. This is the best way to learn it.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 25th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

"W9HGO" wrote in message
GM,

I am a new ham interested in CW and would really like to
find an
operators manual written before the topic of CW started to
be diluted.

I would prefer a 1st or 2nd edition.

TNX
73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647

Do you mean a Radio Amateurs Handbook? If so look at
this group, some have been advertized in the last couple of
weeks. The books may be helpful if you want to build CW
transmitting equipment but its very simple (one of the
virtues of CW). If you want to learn code there are a lot of
resources on the web.

I thought the question was clear.

The Handbook had to cover everything, so it could never cover
it all in depth. You'd get a copy of "How to Become a Radio Amateur"
to learn the basics, and maybe build that first regen receiver and
single tube transmitter, and learn the code.

If you needed more help, you'd buy "Learning the Radiotelegraph Code";
I never had a copy, I don't know how it compares with more recent
books about learning the Morse code from the ARRL.

You'd buy the Handbook next, to cover technical stuff in more detail.

Then you'd buy the mobile manual if you wanted to go mobile, or the SSB
manual if you were really interested in SSB (especially in the early days
when they covered theory of ssb better than in the later ones that were
mostly construction articles), and you'd get the VHF manual if that was
your interest.

If you were mostly interested in operating, you'd get "Operating an
Amateur Radio Station" which was sort of an extended version of the
"Operating a Station" chapter in the Handbook. I never saw one in
the old days, but my impression was that it was a relatively slim,
like the rest of the topic-specific ARRL books. The current one
is terribly thick.

That's the one he wants, to read up on operating CW when it was
a much bigger part of amateur radio.

The old books have the advantage that they are current with the
era. The state of the Handbook varies, since every time something
new is added to the hobby (and thus the Handbook), something else
gets cut. There was a long period when SSB got short shift, because
the initial surge of SSB was passed and there seemed to be an assumption
that everyone knew the basics. Likely also the rise of commercial SSB
rigs helped. Then building changed, and a lot of people started
building QRP ssb rigs and the ssb chapter improved. Solid state
and even computers came along and helped to better implement the
phasing method, and whammo, the phasing method that had been mostly
a footnote in the Handbook for many years suddenly became more detailed.

Michael VE2BVW
Old August 25th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

mple.org...

"W9HGO" wrote in message
[...]

A good, comprehensive answer but I don't think the
original question was quite as clear as you think. Also, the
name of the book requires some clarification: you may be
right that he wants "How to Operate an Amateur Radio
Station" but I am not sure how old a first or second edition
would be. In any case the older ARRL handbooks cover a lot
of CW stuff like handling traffic etc. Being a long time CW
person myself perhaps it seems simpler to me than to someone
new. I certainly encourage anyone to wants to practice this
art.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old August 26th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"W9HGO" wrote in message
[...]

Michael you were spot on to understand what I meant.
Thank you.

I thought my subject line would have been very clear.
Since it is exactly the title of what I am looking for.
And since I was not sure if I could locate a first edition
I left the option open for the second.

I did find a 1966 first edition. I am excited.

Richard how come you don't put your call letters
in your signature?

See you on the bands

73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647

Old August 26th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

[...]

Probably because he didn't think it important to the subject at hand. And,
perhaps he thought that if you thought it important, you would have looked
WB6KBL up on QRZ.com.

W4ZCB

Old August 26th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Aug 26, 9:46*am, "Harold E. Johnson" wrote:
[...]

Hi Harold,
I did not see WB6KBL any, sorry.
But now I see that there is a view profile option.
Not quite used to reading Usenet on Google.

Harold here is something you might enjoy
http://tinyurl.com/665o7u

73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647

Old August 26th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

W9HGO wrote:

Richard how come you don't put your call letters
in your signature?

I don't know about Richard, but I keep my call letters
off of my internet activities because the FCC database
is freely searchable, and has my station address in it.

There are some real nutcases out on the internet. Do you
really want to make it easy for one of them to come and
visit you?

-Chuck
Old August 26th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Aug 26, 10:59*am, Chuck Harris wrote:
W9HGO wrote:
Richard how come you don't put your call letters
in your signature?

I don't know about Richard, but I keep my call letters
off of my internet activities because the FCC database
is freely searchable, and has my station address in it.

There are some real nutcases out on the internet. *Do you
really want to make it easy for one of them to come and
visit you?

-Chuck

Chuck,

That's a good point.
I am used to just using it in closed groups.
Google does expose us to a much greater audience.

Richard,

Thanks for the advice, I have already learned the code,
Used Chuck Adams code course, I hear great things about
G4FON but being a MAC and LInux user, it is unavailable to me.

There s a new KOCH method Web site though that is good for
continuing accuracy training
http://lcwo.net/

I am in the processes of building a transistor qrp rig and trying to
decide on which of the glow plug projects
looks the most promising. Then there is always the T4 I have tucked
away. So many projects.

My main thought now is to increase my knowledge of the operating
procedures of CW and as Michael
pointed out the newer editors of ham radio literature are giving CW a
second class rating.

See you on the bands.

73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647
Old August 26th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

W9HGO wrote:
Richard how come you don't put your call letters
in your signature?

I don't know about Richard, but I keep my call letters
off of my internet activities because the FCC database
is freely searchable, and has my station address in it.

There are some real nutcases out on the internet. Do you
really want to make it easy for one of them to come and
visit you?

-Chuck

Chuck,

That's a good point.
I am used to just using it in closed groups.
Google does expose us to a much greater audience.

Hi Harry,

What you are posting this on right now is not a closed google group!

It is usenet, one of the oldest widely used ports (119) on the internet.

Everything you post here is completely uncontrolled, unregulated and
available to anyone worldwide.

Google happens to archive everything that shows up on usenet.

Richard,

Thanks for the advice, I have already learned the code,
Used Chuck Adams code course, I hear great things about
G4FON but being a MAC and LInux user, it is unavailable to me.

I find that many of those sorts of programs work just fine under
linux using wine. And those that need DOS work just fine under
linux using dosemu with freedos. You will probably need to adjust
dosemu's pseudo processor speed for proper function.

-Chuck