Old September 5th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default National NC300 restoration hints needed.

http://www.qsl.net/n4xy/rcvr_national.html

This site has a few of the aritcles published by W1OOP. Some were mentioned
above.

Some pictures are up on my web site (Hobby only nothing for sale) at
http://www.ppinyot.com/national.htm. More later.

Thanks again,

Paul P.

Old September 5th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Not Clorox bleach, Clorox Cleanup. It is a spray cleaner similar to 409.

If you use Clorox bleach on aluminum, it will etch it and eat it away.

I worry about those type of cleaners leaving acid or base or solvent
residues, funny smells. There have been radios I ran through the dishwasher
and pulled it out after the rinse and dunked it in hot distilled water,
followed by LP air and bake at 130 for a day. I used to refurb telephones
that way too. Dishwasher is hell on decals though.

Old September 5th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"JB" wrote in message
Not Clorox bleach, Clorox Cleanup. It is a spray cleaner
similar to 409.

If you use Clorox bleach on aluminum, it will etch it and
eat it away.

I worry about those type of cleaners leaving acid or base
or solvent
residues, funny smells. There have been radios I ran
through the dishwasher
and pulled it out after the rinse and dunked it in hot
distilled water,
followed by LP air and bake at 130 for a day. I used to
refurb telephones
that way too. Dishwasher is hell on decals though.

Years ago, when I worked for Hewlett-Packard, our
method of cleaning equipment was to strip it of anything
which would be hurt by water, meters, dials (in some
equipment) sealed transformers, etc. Then it was washed with
a paint spray gun loaded with warm water and plain
dishwashing detergent. After washing it was rinsed with
plain tap water and then blown out with compressed air. It
was then baked for several days in an electric oven set for
about 130F. One can also use a brush to help during the
spraying part.
The reason for removing sealed transformers was that
our experienc was that they often were not really sealed so
that moisture could get in but couldn't get out again so
there were frequent failures once power was applied. Open
frame transformers got through the process without trouble.
I am also concerned about the long-term effects of
residue from some of the new "magic" cleaners. Plain hand
dishwashing detergent seems to work about as well as
anything and seems relatively safe.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old September 6th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I use an NC-300 as my main receiver for AM.

Replacing the frequency determining L-C network of V3,
the second converter, with a crystal (like the NC-303)
is worth the effort. Then IF will stay in alignment.

Old September 6th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Grumpy The Mule" wrote in message
I use an NC-300 as my main receiver for AM.

Replacing the frequency determining L-C network of V3,
the second converter, with a crystal (like the NC-303)
is worth the effort. Then IF will stay in alignment.

Being somewhat off center, I'd obsess about a means
to tie that LC network to the BFO, get them to track,
and call it variable passband tuning.. But I am not
wrapped too tight.

Pete