RadioBanter

-   -   How can this be? Amplifier for sale (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/137849-how-can-amplifier-sale.html)

[email protected] October 22nd 08 12:24 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

Scott Dorsey October 22nd 08 03:03 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

In article ,
wrote:
LOOK AT Ebay item [REDACTED]...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

So, contact
and let them know about it.
--scott

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 06:59 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 4:24 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

What do you mean "shame on us?" I took time to report the SOB, did you?

Also, why do you blame it on ham radio? I see nothing NOTHING in the
listing that points to a ham.

Get your crap together before doing a similar post, jerk.

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this. Elsewhere
they say to report violations using the "report item" link that is in the
item's page. I spent about 10 minutes searching the page for the link. It
IS NOT THERE. So went the long way into them and reported it.

Bert Hyman October 22nd 08 07:34 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

(Don Bowey) wrote in
:

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this.

Probably to save you the trouble of making a report they'll ignore
anyway.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 07:47 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 11:34 AM, in article ,
"Bert Hyman" wrote:

(Don Bowey) wrote in
:

Ebay certainly makes it difficult to report things like this.

Probably to save you the trouble of making a report they'll ignore
anyway.

At their peril.

[email protected] October 22nd 08 07:51 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On Oct 22, 12:59*pm, Don Bowey wrote:
On 10/22/08 4:24 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
[...]

It is listed under Ham Radio,You can`t see that?..It`s Illegal ,next
thing will be Counterfit money and bootleg whisky.. I have reported
this activity several times ,nothing changes... From your statement I
believe YOU may be part of the problem,at least willing to ignore
it..This is NOT good for ham radio ..I care about that,You should
too.JERK

Don Bowey October 22nd 08 08:30 PM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

On 10/22/08 11:51 AM, in article
,

" wrote:
[...]

You need to improve your reading skills.

By the way, have you advised the FCC that eBay is unwilling to follow-up on
illegal CB sales? No? Why not?

This is NOT good for ham radio ..I care about that,You should
too.JERK

I do not see that an illegal sale on eBay reflects on ham radio. It
reflects on eBay and the guy trying to auction the forbidden equipment.

Why are YOU feeling so guilty?

Tio Pedro October 23rd 08 02:02 AM

wrote in message
LOOK AT Ebay item 130262773998...Heres a good example of what ham
radio has turned into.First,it is not legal to sell an amplifier that
is capable of CB use..Second, Who would bid over $700 (and rising)
for piece of junk ,a pig- in -the poke, It might work and it might
not..They are using AMATEUR RADIO as a platform to sell this
crap..Shame,Shame...Shame on us for allowing it to happen.. W4PQW

Didn't the FCC rescind the ban on 10 meter amplifiers?

pete

elaich October 23rd 08 05:16 AM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

Don Bowey wrote in news:C524B81A.C760D%
:

Also, why do you blame it on ham radio? I see nothing NOTHING in the
listing that points to a ham.

Agreed. How in the hell can hams control what somebody sells on ebay?

Linears have been used on CB for decades. The FCC gave up trying to police
the CB band ages ago. The proximity of the CB band to 10 meters is
unfortunate, but any hack worth his salt could convert a 15 meter amp to
work on 27 mcs.

Now I wonder if the "alarm" that set off this thread might not be a cloaked
advert of the auction.

Tio Pedro October 23rd 08 11:10 AM

How can this be? Amplifier for sale

"Kevin Dooks" wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:02:30 -0400, "Tio Pedro"
wrote:

What's the big deal anyway, any clod who can use a soldering iron without

doing him/herself a serious injury can BUILD an 11/10 Meter amp, all ya need
is a schematic and some $$ for parts

1: Legality
2: Spectral Purity
3: Collateral damage to other services
a. making once legal products illegal
b. unlicensed pirates on ham frequencies.

Isn't that enough?