Old November 4th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Ham Radio Projects" 1968 by Bert Simon Page 105.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.
I am a new Amateur Operator licenced now just 2 years.
One of my project's is restoring a old single tube rca 117-n7 cw
transmitter.
I have managed to come up with my own schematic of the radio but would
like to compare it to the original schematic.
I believe it is from "Ham Radio Projects" 1968 by Bert Simon Page 105.
What i am "asking" is if any-one has this OLD book and can
scan/photocopy the page/article for me ! I have checked with my local
library's and this book is no longer in print and so far i have been
unable to get a copy of it.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

73
ve3myz
James
Old November 4th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"nexus6gs" wrote in message
Hello and thanks for taking the time to read this.
I am a new Amateur Operator licenced now just 2 years.
One of my project's is restoring a old single tube rca 117-n7 cw
transmitter.
I have managed to come up with my own schematic of the radio but would
like to compare it to the original schematic.
I believe it is from "Ham Radio Projects" 1968 by Bert Simon Page 105.
What i am "asking" is if any-one has this OLD book and can
scan/photocopy the page/article for me ! I have checked with my local
library's and this book is no longer in print and so far i have been
unable to get a copy of it.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

73
ve3myz
James

Hi James,

I was going to suggest checking used book dealers. At least two copies of
the book are available, but the booksellers must think the book is for glass
audio sudiophools. The prices are $97.95 and $120 respectively! [Prairie
Wind, Eldora, IA and Bank of Books, Ventura, CA] IMHO, these prices are
ridiculous.

For only a few pages, I suggest contacting the Library of Congress. Their
call number is TK9956 .S525. The listed full title is "104 ham radio
projects for novice & technician". You can contact the LOC directly or you
can go through your local library.

I have one final word of warning... In direct line-powered circuits such as
these, you need to be extra careful with your construction and with use.
New hams are to be encouraged, not fried! ;-)

73, Dr. Barry L. Ornitz WA4VZQ

LC Control No.:68008648
LCCN Permalink:http://lccn.loc.gov/68008648
Type of Material:Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
Personal Name:Simon, Bert.
Main Title:104 ham radio projects for novice & technician.
Edition Information:[1st ed.]
Published/Created:Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., Tab Books [1968]

CALL NUMBER:TK9956 .S525
Copy 1
-- Request in:Jefferson or Adams Bldg General or Area Studies Reading Rms
-- Status:Not Charged

Old November 4th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Yie, yie yie!
From olden days, it always excites me to see the key, a good ground,
and a 117vac plug
connected so intimately!
Many years ago I started collecting stuff to make something like you
have in your hands, but
fear and common sense always made me chicken out.
I Googled for a while, and the following is the closest I could find,
and it isn't
even a 117N7, but a 50C5 with a heater series resistor.

http://www.kb7tbt.com/manuals/Ham%20...0Designs.p df

Sit on a dry wooden chair, with your feet off the ground, and one hand
in your pocket.

Good luck,
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Old November 4th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Sit on a dry wooden chair, with your feet off the ground, and one hand
in your pocket.

Good luck,
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

CONSIDER:

Using a bench top isolation transformer.

-Or-

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f.../1/117N7GT.pdf

I can add up about 15 watts of plate dissipation and filament wattage.
Perhaps an isolation transformer may be in line here. Use two similar wall
warts of about 30 to 40 watts min. Same voltage secondary.

Connect the AC section of the secondary (before the rectifier and capacitor
with in a DC wall wart) together and you have an isolation transformer for
that single tube project. If you choose 6 or 12 volt secondary you also
have a future filament supply for other projects.

You may have to establish a ground for this circuit when using an isolation
transformer.

A bit of safety does not hurt,

Paul P.

Old November 4th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thank you to all for the help and suggestions.
I have my Schematic if any-one would like to have a look and maybe
suggest some thoughts.
I have still to actually fire this thing up. I got it at a local flea
market a year ago and was told it works, and i trust the person i got it
from. Plan to do some comparision witht the original diagram and will
disassemble the project and clean/replace any parts with modern
replacements. I also DO plan to build/buy an Isolation Transformer as
well as a Variable PowerSupply.

Thanks again for your thoughts and info's

73
ve3myz
james

Old November 5th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Lynn wrote:
Yie, yie yie!
From olden days, it always excites me to see the key, a good ground,
and a 117vac plug
connected so intimately!
Many years ago I started collecting stuff to make something like you
have in your hands, but
fear and common sense always made me chicken out.
I Googled for a while, and the following is the closest I could find,
and it isn't
even a 117N7, but a 50C5 with a heater series resistor.

http://www.kb7tbt.com/manuals/Ham%20...0Designs.p df

Sit on a dry wooden chair, with your feet off the ground, and one hand
in your pocket.

Good luck,
Old Chief Lynn, W7LTQ

Lynn,

I built one of those, too! I was able to light a 25W "dummy antenna
wattmeter" to nearly full brightness... for a few seconds. If I held the
key down too long, the toob envelope would get too hot, and fracture. That
wasn't a problem, as I had many 50C5 pulls from old table radios! It was
important to make sure the B- of the supply was common to the AC supply
neutral, and to not get your fingers across the key contacts! :-O

vy 73 es gud dx,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old November 6th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I also DO plan to build/buy an Isolation Transformer as
well as a Variable PowerSupply.

Thanks again for your thoughts and info's

73
ve3myz
james

Good. Very good!

Paul P.
Old November 6th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

NoSPAM wrote:
I was going to suggest checking used book dealers. At least two copies of
the book are available, but the booksellers must think the book is for glass
audio sudiophools. The prices are $97.95 and $120 respectively! [Prairie
Wind, Eldora, IA and Bank of Books, Ventura, CA] IMHO, these prices are
ridiculous.

For only a few pages, I suggest contacting the Library of Congress. Their
call number is TK9956 .S525. The listed full title is "104 ham radio
projects for novice & technician". You can contact the LOC directly or you
can go through your local library.

I remember a book like this published by Tab Books.... but I don't recall
anything using the 117V filament tubes, I remember a design instead using
a TV sweep tube for about 10W of hot chassis goodness.

I also remember a design for a 2M converter using a compactron tube, which
I built and which was really a good performer.

Is this the same book? I also recall it as being remarkably free of typos
for a Tab publication.
--scott

Old November 7th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

This is the full extract i am using to locate the book.

104 ham radio projects for novice & technician.
by Bert Simon
Published in 1968, Tab Books (Blue Ridge Summit, Pa)

Language:English
Edition:[1st ed.]
Pagination:190 p.
LCCN:68008648