Old January 25th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default CONELRAD

Would anyone have a circuit, or know where to find one, for the Conelrad
device as marketed by Motorola and Heathkit.

with thanks

Old January 25th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"George McLeod" wrote in message
Would anyone have a circuit, or know where to find one, for the Conelrad
device as marketed by Motorola and Heathkit.

with thanks

If you go over to Yahoo! and check the Yahoo Groups for
the Heathkit forum, you will probably someone there who
can help. If you have a model number for the Heathkit it
would helpful too. There is a German site that still has
the Heath schematics available for download.

Pete

Old January 25th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

George McLeod wrote:
Would anyone have a circuit, or know where to find one, for the Conelrad
device as marketed by Motorola and Heathkit.

What is this device? Does it automatically tune the radio to a CONELRAD
frequency?
--scott
Old January 25th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
George McLeod wrote:
Would anyone have a circuit, or know where to find one, for the Conelrad
device as marketed by Motorola and Heathkit.

What is this device? Does it automatically tune the radio to a CONELRAD
frequency?
--scott

to monitor AGC voltage on the monitor receiver. When

The Heathkit was a model CA-1. It used a 2D21 thyratron
the station went off the air, the thryatron fired and locked
a relay which had contacts for the whatever notification
device was being used. AGC sensitivity could be set from
a volt or so to about -20 volts. Looked a bit like the
QF-1 box.

pete

Old January 26th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 25 Jan 2009 12:50:41 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

George McLeod wrote:
Would anyone have a circuit, or know where to find one, for the Conelrad
device as marketed by Motorola and Heathkit.

What is this device? Does it automatically tune the radio to a CONELRAD
frequency?
--scott

I lived in this era. Back in the 1950's there was a program called
CONtrol of ELectromagnetic RADiation. Subtitled CONELRAD. All AM
radios (FM was in its commercial infancy, we only had Public Stations
in the FM band) had little triangles with the Civil Defense logo at
640 Kcs and 1240 Kcs. [Kilocycles (per second) here is not accidental,
Hertz, as a term to mean cycles per second, was not adopted until the
mid-1960's.] In the event of an emergency, usually interpreted to be
an attack upon us by the Russians (this WAS the McCarthy era after
all) you were supposed to tune your AM radio to one of those two
frequencies for information on what to do. Inplicit in that was that
all other radiostations would get off the air so that they could not
be used as homing devices for attacking aircraft. The fact that there
were other methods to navigate was blithely ignored.

About 1957, CONELRAD was expanded to include amateur radio stations
and all stations were obliged by the FCC to have a CONELRAD monitor
which would tell you that an emergency was declared, that you were to
get your own station off the air, and like the rest of the population
tune to 640 or 1240 AM.

This ruling was more observed in the breach than the observance. And
few amateur stations did anything about it. [My response...I was a
teenager then...was to look for a mushroom cloud. If I saw one, I'd
get off the air. :-)

A few companies built add-on CONELRAD monitors. If I remember
correctly, you attached the device to an ordinary AM radio which was
already and always tuned to 640 or 1240 Kcs. (1240Kcs. actually
happened to be the frequency for the station in my own hometown in
Wisconsin.) When some keying signal came on, the CONELRAD monitor
would alarm and then you were to get off the air. It didn't retune any
radio to anything, it just told an alert went off as broadcast on one
of those two frequencies...at least that was all a ham version did.
In theory, you could just have a small radio playing in the background
which supposedly would tell you the same thing.

In actual tests, which were conducted from time to time, just as
Emergency Service Tests are occasionally heard now. All of a regions
stations got on one of those two frequencies (to confound the enemy's
direction finders) and they had some sort of switching so that they
all broadcast the same message from "Big Brother" but broadcast them
in some sort of rotation. The few tests that I actually heard knocked
our local station off the air, but the "emergency" broadcast itself
was total gibberish because there were too few stations in our rural
part of Wisconsin by day, and nighttime propagation was too screwy to
provide any responsible path.

I don't remember when CONELRAD died as I went off to college in 1960
and wasn't on the air very much and not at all when I was in school.
It was dead when I got back on the air with any regularity after I had
graduated..

Heathkit did indeed built such a monitoring kit. It was in the same
size box as their famous QF-1 Q mulitiplier or their earliest SWR
in-line monitor, one of the first with a Monimatch architecture. It
cost somewhere between $10 and $20 as a kit IIRC, but that was too
much allowance money for me to spend. Even as a teen, I had a keen
sense for Governmental BS (which paid off well later as I was a career
Federal Employee for 35 years in the intelligence world. You needed a
steep skirted BS filter to work in that environment.)

CONELRAD was one of the biggest governmental flops ever in the
communications arena.

Jon W3JT (K9CAH back then.)

Old January 26th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dorsey) wrote:

George McLeod wrote:
[...]

CONELRAD was inspired by the supposed fact that the
Japanese aircraft that attacked Pearl Harbor used a Honolulu
broadcast station to home on the target. Conelrad required
all broadcast stations to leave the air during an alert and
certain stations switched to 640 or 1240 Khz, depending on
which was closer to its normal frequency, and operated with
low power. All ham stations were supposed to leave the air.
The stations switched among a group to cause RDFs to become
confused, at least that was the idea. All stations were fed
with the same audio, which originated at the key station of
the group via a telephone network. My memory is that all
stations had monitors tuned to the key station which were
tripped by a tone of some sort. In Los Angeles KFI was the
key station with KMPC (710) acting as back-up when KFI was
off the air. Because of its function as the key station KFI
began broadcasting twenty-four hours a day except for a few
hours on Sunday nights for maintenance, during which KMPC
stayed on the air.
There was, I think, only one nationwide test, and a few
local tests. It was quite possible to identify some of the
individual stations by their sound and the key station could
be identified by the higher audio quality. The system was a
failure but contributed to the general panic about a
possible Russian neucular attack. A lot of people were
convinced that a Russian attack was inevitable and there was
quite a scam going at the time among contractors who offered
to build bomb shelters in your back yard. I wonder how many
of those bomb shelters still exist.

I did a Google search after writing all this and found a
couple of good sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD

http://www.oldradio.com/current/bc_conel.htm

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old January 26th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

George McLeod wrote:
[...]

Jon;

An excellent summation of CONELRAD. The only correction is the lower
frequency. It was 620 Kcs which is half the upper frequency of 1240.
This was for reception at the higher freq by use of the harmonic effect.

When I was in high school in the late 50's we had a school fm broadcast
station. Our CONELRAD detector was a standard receiver with an addon
device that squawked when the carrier was lost. Our control station was
Radio station WOWO in Fort Wayne IN. We tested the receiver every hour
by pressing a phone jack in. This acted like the loss of carrier from
WOWO and sounded a LOUD horn. When WOWO would loose it's carrier due to
what ever it really got your heart going. We were in the middle of the
great nuk war threat and never knew if or when the balloon would go up.
HI HI..

CONELRAD operated by switching the active carrier of several radio
stations around the country in a random sequence so that Soviet bombers
could not use radio navigation to locate any specific target for bombing.

I agree that CONELRAD and the whole CD effort, for that matter, was a
total flop. Great PR but a flop never the less. Growing up just south of
Cleveland OH and the later near Grissom AFB (a SAC base about 60 miles
north of Indianapolis IN I held no expectations of surviving any nuk attack.

Dave Nagel
WD9BDZ
Old January 27th 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"David G. Nagel" wrote in
message ...

Dorsey) wrote:

George McLeod wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid that 640khz _is_ the correct lower frequency.
Somewhere, buried in some archive, the developmental
documents for Conelrad may still exist and may explain the
choice of frequencies. I think mostly it was to have a
frequency that would be usable for any BC station. I also
don't remember (if I ever knew) the power stations were
supposed to use, I think quite low, perhaps a couple of
hundred watts.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old January 27th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I'm afraid that 640khz _is_ the correct lower frequency.
Somewhere, buried in some archive, the developmental
documents for Conelrad may still exist and may explain the
choice of frequencies. I think mostly it was to have a
frequency that would be usable for any BC station. I also
don't remember (if I ever knew) the power stations were
supposed to use, I think quite low, perhaps a couple of
hundred watts.

640 was VERY vacant in those days and 1240 was very full. I think the
mindset was to cover both extremes but thats only a guess on my part.

When I was a kid I never quite figured how it was supposed to work. We
had a local station on 1240 but it was not the Conelrad station. I
later learned that it was one of the other stations who kept an
auxiliary xmtr available on 1240 for that purpose.

I was only 10 y/o when the scheme ended in 1963 but I recall a neighbor
ham explaining to me about the Conelrad 'monitor' in his shack.

-Bill
Old January 27th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bill M wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:

I'm afraid that 640khz _is_ the correct lower frequency.
Somewhere, buried in some archive, the developmental
documents for Conelrad may still exist and may explain the
choice of frequencies. I think mostly it was to have a
frequency that would be usable for any BC station. I also
don't remember (if I ever knew) the power stations were
supposed to use, I think quite low, perhaps a couple of
hundred watts.

640 was VERY vacant in those days and 1240 was very full. I think the
mindset was to cover both extremes but thats only a guess on my part.

Depends on where you were.

KFI in Los Angeles (actually La Mirada) has been on 640 since 1922 and
running 50 KW since 1931.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/LA/kfipix.htm

--
Jim Pennino