Old February 19th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Johnson Viking II meter needed

I am looking to buy the meter that is on the front panel of a Johnson
Viking II. I bought the radio on Ebay and kind of got ripped off since
it has no meter. It is for a birthday gift for my husband. I am not a
ham myself and have very limited knowledge so I am throwing myself on
the mercy of you kind folks and hope that someone can help me. I hope
this is the correct place for this posting and apologize if it is not.
Thank you!
Old February 20th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

brittmontero wrote:
I am looking to buy the meter that is on the front panel of a Johnson
Viking II. I bought the radio on Ebay and kind of got ripped off since
it has no meter. It is for a birthday gift for my husband. I am not a
ham myself and have very limited knowledge so I am throwing myself on
the mercy of you kind folks and hope that someone can help me. I hope
this is the correct place for this posting and apologize if it is not.
Thank you!

You're in the right place.... but... the bad news is that if the
meter is missing, odds are that other stuff is missing too.

I'd first contact the guy on Ebay.... if he said it was in good shape
and the picture in the ad showed a meter, you have a right to a machine
in good shape with a meter.

The guy at Tubes Tubes Tubes has parted out a Viking II.... he wants
what I think is an insanely high $30 for the meter, but you can contact
him at . He probably has any other parts you'll need
but you'll pay highly.

If you go to bama.sbc.edu, you should be able to download the manual
for the thing. You will need to get the djvu decoder because bama uses
a somewhat old and unusual data format. But they have the manuals and
they are free.

There are also some modifications for the machine out there, including
a PTT mod and an audio modification that increases the gain. It is worth
downloading those as well since any random Viking of unknown provenance
may well have had the modifications done.
--scott
Old February 22nd 09, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
You're in the right place.... but... the bad news is that if the
meter is missing, odds are that other stuff is missing too.

I'd first contact the guy on Ebay.... if he said it was in good shape
and the picture in the ad showed a meter, you have a right to a machine
in good shape with a meter. snip

Here is the ebay ad she bought from (I'm guessing):
It shows no meter, and was advertised as a "project" radio
by RadioMart -
http://tinyurl.com/d6xlg4

I think she's out of luck in pursuing the seller,
the photo shows no meter present.
It looks pretty complete, although the missing 807 tubes
may be a bad sign. The price was OK for its condition,
I believe, assuming the transformers are good.

Note: do +not+ plug this in to see if it lights up!
It will require some preliminary testing by a ham to ensure that
the power supply capacitors aren't shorted due to age, etc., to avoid
unnecessary damage. It may not have been powered up for 40 years.

73,
Ed Knobloch
Old February 22nd 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Edward Knobloch" wrote in message

Here is the ebay ad she bought from (I'm guessing):
It shows no meter, and was advertised as a "project" radio
by RadioMart -
http://tinyurl.com/d6xlg4

73,

Ed Knobloch

Most of his sets are all too often "project radios" from what
I've seen posted.