Old April 11th 09, 09:56 PM
Junior Member

Default who knows more of the bc191x .

hello friends.
my name is peter kuut, this is my first posting, i have many years an bc191x.
the model is a 24 volts transmitter, with a switch 24-28 volts.
on the most transmitters there is the year of built, but not on mine bc191x.
so i have some questions about mine.
when is my transmitter built
on the tranmitter i see english text, around the knobs, not france text.
is it an american transmitter ( model375)
is my transmitter used at a plane ?
i hope to receive from people here some information about mine bc191x.

greetings from peter in holland.
Old April 12th 09, 07:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

news

--
peter kuut

Hi Peter,

The BC-191 was mostly used on ground radio installations but you are correct
that it is similar to the BC-375, which was used in heavy aircraft. I think
most BC-191 transmitters had a 12 volt power supply but as yours has a 24/28
volt supply then it could very likely have been used in an aircraft. It is
an American radio, any you have seen with French markings will have been
marked after building or marked as a special order for France. American
aircraft like the B-17 and C-47 that carried the BC-375 where used a lot by
the French Air Force after WW2.

There is a lot of information on the internet about the BC-191 and BC-375,
look at http://www.dse.nl/~vrzaob/wc52/radios.htm for instance for a site in
Holland. If you are not a member already, I suggest that you look at joining
the Surplus Radio Society in Holland, where you will find a lot of owners of
this radio, http://www.pi4srs.nl/

Good luck!

Roger Basford

Norfolk, England

Old April 12th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

peter kuut wrote:
hello friends.
my name is peter kuut, this is my first posting, i have many years an
bc191x.
the model is a 24 volts transmitter, with a switch 24-28 volts.
on the most transmitters there is the year of built, but not on mine
bc191x.
so i have some questions about mine.
when is my transmitter built
on the tranmitter i see english text, around the knobs, not france
text.
is it an american transmitter ( model375)
is my transmitter used at a plane ?
i hope to receive from people here some information about mine bc191x.

greetings from peter in holland.

Peter, The BC-191 and BC-375 were manufactured in the USA. The BC-191
was used as a ground-based radio system with the BC-312 and BC-342
receivers. The BC-375 was an aircraft transmitter used with the BC-348
receiver. I am curious, though, that your BC-191 transmitter is said to
operate on 24-28 volts. Given the difficulty, principally mechanically,
required in modifying this unit from 12 to 24 volts, I wonder if it is,
in reality, a BC-375? There were many many BC-191 and BC-375 units
available as surplus after WWII. There really would not have been the
necessity to modify these units. But, anything is possible! Is the
original General Electric name plate on the front panel? The BC-191 had
some connections made via connectors on the bottom of the transmitter,
the BC-375 did not. The BC-375 has three large connectors on the left
side, the BC-191 has four. This may give you some additional clues. The
24/28 volt switch you speak of was to allow the unit to be ground or
radio-shop tested using 24 volts and then switched back to 28 volts for
normal aircraft use. The radio technician could switch back and forth
as needed.

For information, after WWII, many airlines tried to use the BC-375 and
the ART-13. The ART-13 was infinitely more successful and was used well
into the 1950's by the US military and airlines, albeit with some
modifications. My particular ART-13 was used in a NASA aircraft into the
1960's, as indicated by the date on the frequency chart. It sounds as
though your unit may have been obtained by either the French military or
an airline and used either in aircraft or as a ground station. In the
40's and 50's, many airlines had extensive HF ground stations to be able
to talk to their aircraft in flight and at long distances. Although not
quite as extensive, this very much continues, today.

Regards Jeep/K3HVG

Old April 15th 09, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

K3HVG wrote:
For information, after WWII, many airlines tried to use the BC-375 and
the ART-13. The ART-13 was infinitely more successful and was used well
into the 1950's by the US military and airlines, albeit with some
modifications. My particular ART-13 was used in a NASA aircraft into the
1960's, as indicated by the date on the frequency chart.

Any indication which aircraft? What is on the chart?
--scott