Old May 21st 09, 08:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch #BL5250-02L

Price:$400.00
Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000EQS0WK
Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000EQS0WK

My BF loves this watch for a while before i bought it for his birthday. It looks very strong and professional. I'm also happy i got a good deal buying it.
I bought this watch 4 months ago and wear it every day. The watch has a number of really cool features, including the date that never needs to be reset and the stop watch. The only thing that takes a little getting use to is the second hand, which stops moving when not in direct light.
As others have said, this is a wonderful watch for many reasons. Made of Titanium and steel, it is a proper large size man's watch, but not heavy to wear. The leather band attached to it is heavy duty and will last, and the watch is beautifully designed and eye catching. The bezel (outer ring) is a little loose but easy to turn, and the dial is surprisingly clear and easy to read due to the strong design of the sword hands. The luminosity is brilliant too, as these things go, and will last a decent period. (You will be able to read the watch for the first few hours at night after you switch the lights off. No watch, from any company, luxury brands included, really lasts very long.) It has a perpetual calendar, so once set, you never have to think about it again, as long as it gets enough light. The watch does have some quirks. You require patience to set it. As others have pointed out, changing the settings requires you often to wait until the hands travel back or forth from whatever time they're currently set at, to the new function you're changing to. Be careful of date setting. Depending on the setting, you have to wait for a few revolutions of the smaller hands before the date window moves, one date. If you're changing the date from the 2nd to the 29th, you'll be there a while. This watch requires commitment! The alarm is not only soft, but SHORT! About 15 seconds at best. The watch is a not really a chronograph. Those extra sub-dials you see don't really function in that way. Yes, there is a limited chronograph function but it is so poorly designed so as to render the watch useless for that function. The second time zone is handy but the alarm is not sychronized to it. On the plus side, the watch is accurate, never needs to be fiddled with once it's set AND as long as it gets regular light, is very comfortable to wear and gorgeous on the wrist. I changed out my stitching for a Hirsh carbon black strap with white stitching, and it looks fantastic. The lesson is, buy this watch if you'll wear it regularly and don't really care too much about the fiddly details. If you're likely to forget it in closets or cupboards for long periods, beware!
First the summary: I really like this watch for what it is but I am also glad that I read ALL the reviews before I ordered it so I was prepared for most of its quirks. Since I have owned it only for a short period of time I cannot comment on its long-term reliability. It keeps the time to within less than 1s error per week. I like the very low weight for a watch of this style & size and in contrast to one of the other reviewers I don't think that this contributes to a cheap look-and-feel, rather the contrary. The white hands on an almost black background make it easy to spot the time on a first glance. All indicators including the small additional function hands and the date window were precisely aligned upon delivery and stay so in normal use. The date does not start shifting around 11pm as it happens with other watches but it simply switches at 12am, ensuring that one can always easily recognize the correct date at any time. Setup from scratch can be a bit cumbersome during the first time. So, yes, you sure need the manual but it isn't rocket science either. As for the looks of it, it is more shiny than the official Citizen images suggest, you get a more realistic idea by looking at the photographs provided by other amazon customers. But again, I don't agree that this necessaryily gives it a cheap appearance. It is simply a matter of personal preference and I like to look at it. The things that kept my rating down at 3 stars are the following: 1) Switching between alarm setting and time display modes is indeed a pain in the neck. While it still has something charming to it when the hands are making their rounds when switching between the alarm and time modes, I don't understand why the hands are not always taking the shortest route between the two settings. For example, instead of going 9 hours backward (CCW) they spool down 15 hours forward (CW). I haven't figured out yet why this is the case since the hands can run in both directions, CW and CCW. And one thing that is really disturbing is the fact that even if one does not want to change the alarm setting but only switch the alarm on or off, one still has to wait (sometimes for minutes) until the watch has completed its entire multi-roundtrip to display the alarm time setting. Only then can the alarm be switched on or off after which the watch has to make it all the way back to the time display. Now to my taste this is pushing it a bit far. 2) The alarm is as quiet as many others have described it. You don't want to use it as a spare travel alarm clock or as a meeting reminder in any other but the most quiet office environment. It is the quietest alarm that I have ever found in any watch. 3) If a watch has an alarm and a second time zone mode, I think the alarm should also refer to this second time zone if desired. Unfortunately this is not the case for this watch. Second time zone, yes, but the alarm setting always refers to the original zone. Kind of limits the practicality of the second time zone mode. But then if you can't use it as an alarm clock anyway...So in the end I don't regret it at all that I bought it. In fact I like it a lot for its overall design and apparently fine engineering. And last not least the idea to use light and a non-toxic battery to power it. But if any of the abovementioned downsides are of any concern, one should think twice before getting this watch. These quirks are real with no workaround in sight.
Had this watch for now over a year, and I would have to say that it has been one of my best buy choices. I had several comments from friends on how nice looking the watch was. All of the functions on the watch works perfectly, and don't have to worry about opening the back of the watch to replace the battery. For value for money, its well worth it.
The Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar features a titanium case and deep blue dial. The timepiece features a 1/20 second chronograph that measures up to 60 minutes, 12/24 time, dual time, alarm, date indicator, and power saver function. Additional features include an inner calendar, which automatically adjusts to the proper date as well as leap years through the year 2100. Independent hour hand adjustment makes changing time zones simple and precise. The genuine leather strap features attractive white contrast stitching and buckle closure.

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Watch #BL5250-02L:http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000EQS0WK