Old August 1st 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Only the old survive...

This guy was on C-span Books today. Fascinating concept, It is Semi
Fiction. EMP is real, the story is fiction, set 1 second after a
nuclear device sends out an electro-magnetic pulse....and the world
goes quiet...

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us
a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one
man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town
after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America
back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic
Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our
enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on
the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book
already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly
realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire
United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the
Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of
On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical
American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our
end.
Old August 3rd 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Better start stock-piling all those old tube rigs ready for the Big One,
then! As long as there's a ham with an old HRO, ARC-5 or TBS-50 in each town
then you'll still have a sort of comms.

Roger/G3VKM

Old August 3rd 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Aug 3, 6:21*am, "Roger Basford" Roger at new-gate dot co dot uk
wrote:
Better start stock-piling all those old tube rigs ready for the Big One,
then! As long as there's a ham with an old HRO, ARC-5 or TBS-50 in each town
then you'll still have a sort of comms.

Roger/G3VKM

"Will" wrote in message

That would be powered by??

Neil S.
Old August 3rd 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
nesesu wrote:
On Aug 3, 6:21=A0am, "Roger Basford" Roger at new-gate dot co dot uk
wrote:
Better start stock-piling all those old tube rigs ready for the Big One,
then! As long as there's a ham with an old HRO, ARC-5 or TBS-50 in each t=

own
then you'll still have a sort of comms.

Roger/G3VKM

"Will" wrote in message

That would be powered by??

A G-43 crank generator! Or maybe a GN-58.
--scott
Old August 5th 09, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Will wrote:
This guy was on C-span Books today. Fascinating concept, It is Semi
Fiction. EMP is real, the story is fiction, set 1 second after a
nuclear device sends out an electro-magnetic pulse....and the world
goes quiet...

Good old Al Einstein once said "I don't know what World War 3 will be
fought with, but World war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones...

Old August 6th 09, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I knew a guy who wanted me to fix up an old S-40 for him to prepare for such
a day. I asked him how he was going to run it. He said a vibrator inverter
would convert a storage battery to 120 volts. I asked him how he was going
to charge the storage battery. He said solar panels. I then mentioned that
since solar panels were semiconductor junctions, they would all fail when
the radios failed.

I think the hand crank would be the option. But, you can only crank so long
until you tire out. The military hand crank systems are so tiring to
operate that someone has to be shooting at the cranker before he cranks.

73, Colin K7FM

Old August 7th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Should work fine. A better solution is a steam engine that runs on any
fuel, including grain alcohol. If there is no one on the radio, you can
drink the stuff.

Colin K7FM

Old August 7th 09, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Aug 6, 4:00*pm, (Edmund H. Ramm) wrote:
In "COLIN LAMB" writes:

[...]
I think the hand crank would be the option.
[...]

* *What about a governor-controlled Diesel engine driving an ac generator?

* *73, Eddi ._._.
--
* * * e-mail: dk3uz AT arrl DOT net *| *AMPRNET:
* * * If replying to a Usenet article, please use above e-mail address.

The fuel coming from?

I think Colin has the idea! Use one of the WWII British steam radios
that were used in the south-west Pacific. They were 'powered' by the
camp fire.

Am I correct in thinking that the sets intended to be 'crank powered'
used mostly direct heated [battery] tubes and those fast heating
direct power tubes that looked like a metal 6L6? One would think that
the design would minimize the waste power, simply because of the
limited output of the [human] power source.

Neil S.
Old August 8th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
The fuel coming from?

From the oil tank (central heating) in my cellar. Several thousand
liters to burn, more than I'll be able to use before radiation poisoning
will get the better of me. snip

Hi,

The thing about an EMP device is that it is meant to be detonated
at a very high altitude, so there is no radiation poisoning
on the ground. Since the device doesn't directly cause loss
of human life, the attacked country has a quandry
whether or not to launch a "mutual assured destruction" response.

A lot of the large power plant a.c. generators would be knocked out,
because they use "brushless exciters" for the rotor.
The rotor is excited by a small separately controlled a.c. field,
and uses large semiconductor diodes
that spin along with it, to create the needed d.c. within the rotor
windings.

73,
Ed Knobloch