Old August 21st 09, 05:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Kenwood TS-830S

My recollection is that the gold label version was produced as an
anniversary promo. I used to own one of these.

Joe
W5WBR

wrote in message
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Old December 25th 19, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sunday, August 2, 2009 at 6:45:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

=====
Is it possible that a TS-830s could be manufactured with a 13.8 volt input as compared with most TS-830s setup with a 120v line power input?
Old December 26th 19, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:
On Sunday, August 2, 2009 at 6:45:34 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Is it possible that a TS-830s could be manufactured with a 13.8 volt input as compared with most TS-830s setup with a 120v line power input?

It would be a pain in the neck, you'd pretty much have to swap out the whole
power supply. If you had a lot of money or time you could rewind the power
transformer to have two 12V primary windings instead of the two 120V primary
windings... which would be a massive pain since the primary winding is at
the center so you'd have to redo all the other windings in the process.
Once you had that you could add a couple big external transistors with a big
heatsink to make a simple flyback using the existing transformers.

I wouldn't want to try it, but someone out there may have many years ago.
--scott

FS Kenwood TS-830S Charlie Hugg Equipment 1 September 2nd 09 03:17 AM
Help with Kenwood TS 830S JimL Equipment 0 November 1st 07 05:51 PM
FS Kenwood TS-830S Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 1st 04 09:53 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-830S W4PHM Equipment 0 March 6th 04 06:36 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-830S W4PHM Equipment 0 March 6th 04 06:36 PM