Old August 3rd 09, 02:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Kenwood TS-830S

I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW
Old August 3rd 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Hi Harold,
Here's some chatter I found on an eHam forum- it appears that it's all about
nothing:
Dale W4OP

Kenwood TS 830s VS Kenwood TS 830s Gold Edition? Reply
by KB2CWN on January 24, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
Can anyone tell me the difference between the 830s and 830s gold,
besides the gold logo under the VFO dial? Thank You..

Kenwood TS 830s VS Kenwood TS 830s Gold Editio Reply
by N5NJ on January 26, 2001 Mail this to a friend!
The original 830 had a simple silver and black sign under the main
tuning knob. Later in it's life, it changed to the so-called "Gold Edition".
I don't believe that Kenwood marketed it that way, nor is there any
significant difference.

Old August 3rd 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

A few years ago when I decided I wanted an '830S I did
some research and discovered there is no difference.
Apparently early production had a silver emblem, later
had the gold label. The majority had the gold label from
what I've seen. And yes, I finally got one and love it!
Steve W6SSP

Old August 3rd 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Forgot to add that advertising a TS-830S as a "rare gold label"
version is much like a used car salesman saying a car had high
compression hubcaps and 4-speed windshield washers.
Someone is bound to belive him! ;-)
Steve

Old August 3rd 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote in message
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Gold Label was the last and final model and incorporated all updates and
fixes for the line. I think it also had all the filters (a big expense).
There were some improvements made to the power supply, receiver performance
and VFO stability. I don't know of other specifics of the Gold.

Old August 4th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

schreef in bericht
I hear hams talking about the Kenwood TS-830S "GOLD LABEL". like it is
something special...My question is : What does the gold label mean?
For several years I worked as service manager for a Kenwood
dealer,attended the Kenwood service seminars ,received all Kenwood
bulletins etc...Never have I ever heard Kenwood refer to or advertise
a gold label edition of the 830..Can someone tell me the true,factual
story on the gold label ..TNX W4PQW

Source: http://www.k4eaa.com/faq.htm
What is the difference between a TS-830S and a TS-830S "Gold Edition" or
"Gold Label?"

At some point Kenwood introduced the "Gold" version of the 830S. It came
from the factory with all four filters installed, 2 for CW and 2 for SSB.
The 830S had a VBT control, which required overlapping of the 2 sets of
filters, by varying the heterodyne frequencies, to achieve a variable
bandpass. The standard 830S had only the 2 SSB filters factory installed,
with the CW filters optional. The VBT with the standard filters varied the
bandpass from about 800Hz to 2.4KHz. Adding either CW filter will allow a
500Hz CW bandwidth, but the inclusion of BOTH filters allowed the VBT to
adjust from 0 to 500Hz BW - A very nice improvement. The "Gold" series came
with all 4 filters installed. Be advised that many Gold 830S's today have
had their CW filters removed and sold separately..

UPDATE: I continue to occasionally hear from people that dispute the
Gold/Full-Filter statement. After looking at over 100 TS-830S's I still
have yet to find a Gold that didn't either have the filters installed, or
show positive signs of filter removal. This issue will probably remain in
limbo, however, until someone finds a brochure or sales flyer touting this
"Full Boat" transceiver. People have seen them, bought 830's as a
consequence, but no one has any real proof.

BREAKING NEWS: Joe Kenwood called me yesterday from Tokyo Japan, and
confirmed that "Golds" were delivered with all 4 filters factory installed.
This should put to rest any controversy, and prove my point once and for
all! Thanks, Joe! 8^D

Old August 4th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"PA7RG" wrote in message

schreef in bericht
[...]

Joe Kenwood eh? From the horse's mouth. Very impressive. Now I would like
to hear from the designer of the RCA AR88, but as that was in 1939 and his
minimum age at design time cannot have been 20 that would make him
(scratches head and reaches for calculator) 90. Not too bad, I suppose..

Old August 4th 09, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

MoiInAust wrote:
Joe Kenwood eh? From the horse's mouth. Very impressive.

I've always wondered why Trio chose that name. Kenwood, which by then was a
very popular food mixer Europe got their name because the inventor of the
device/owner of the company was named Kenneth Wood. I wonder if they just took
the name because it sounded good, or there was some other reason.

Geoff.
Old August 5th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

At the Kenwood seminars the spokesman always mentioned that the name
KENWOOD was chosen because it is a name that is common in Japanese and
English language..W4PQW

FS Kenwood TS-830S Charlie Hugg Equipment 1 September 2nd 09 03:17 AM
Help with Kenwood TS 830S JimL Equipment 0 November 1st 07 05:51 PM
FS Kenwood TS-830S Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 1st 04 09:53 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-830S W4PHM Equipment 0 March 6th 04 06:36 PM
FS: Kenwood TS-830S W4PHM Equipment 0 March 6th 04 06:36 PM