Old August 15th 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default All you ever wanted to know about the Hammarlund SP-600 series

I found this on another forum. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Thanks to the guys that put all of this information together.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Perry Sandeen has finalized a remarkable work on the Hammarlund SP-600
and its many variants. This has been a long process with input from
many different people who all had something to share on this fine
receiver.

It is available for download (free) on the Hammarlund Historian
website. It is in .pdf format and in two parts, each being
approximately 7 megs.

Look he http://www.hammarlund.info/
Old August 15th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Firebottle3" wrote in message
I found this on another forum. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Thanks to the guys that put all of this information
together.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Perry Sandeen has finalized a remarkable work on the
Hammarlund SP-600
and its many variants. This has been a long process with
input from
many different people who all had something to share on
this fine
receiver.

It is available for download (free) on the Hammarlund
Historian
website. It is in .pdf format and in two parts, each being
approximately 7 megs.

Look he http://www.hammarlund.info/

Thank you for the tip. I am an SP-600 owner and fan. I
will comment on this stuff later when I can download it on a
machine on a high speed line. Here I am on dial up and these
files will take forever.
There is a relatively large amount of material about the
SP-600 on the web, probably second only to the R-390/A which
seems to be the most thoroughly documented boatanchor of all
time.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old August 16th 09, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Firebottle3" wrote in message
I found this on another forum. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Thanks to the guys that put all of this information
together.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Perry Sandeen has finalized a remarkable work on the
Hammarlund SP-600
and its many variants. This has been a long process with
input from
many different people who all had something to share on
this fine
receiver.

It is available for download (free) on the Hammarlund
Historian
website. It is in .pdf format and in two parts, each being
approximately 7 megs.

Look he http://www.hammarlund.info/

Downloaded these last night. While a lot of this
information is available already its scattered all over the
place so its quite valuable to have it gathered together.
Some of the modifications are interesting but I don't think
I will modify my RX. Remember, the SP-600 has an IF output
plus outboard terminals for the AVC and detector so its
possible to build all sorts of outboard auxilliary
equipment.
I am also very skeptacle about modifying RF stages for
low-noise tubes. The noise level of the receiver is already
pretty low and for communication frequencies, at least up to
30mhz the antenna input noise is likely to be many times the
front end noise plus the 6BA6 has excellent dynamic range.
BTW, I disagree with Andy Moorer and some others who think
the AVC system is poorly designed. Actually, its pretty good
with increased "delay" to the RF stage to keep the noise
level down. For those using the SP-600 mostly for broadcast
listening its helpful to lengthen the AVC time constant
considerably, this is easily done by hanging a capacitor
across the AVC terminals on the back. Try about a 0.1 uf for
starters. This will eliminate the low frequency
intermodulation due to the AVC following low frequency
modulation in the signal plus it will keep the signal
strength meter from following the modulation.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old August 17th 09, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Firebottle3" wrote in message
I found this on another forum. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Thanks to the guys that put all of this information together.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Perry Sandeen has finalized a remarkable work on the Hammarlund SP-600
and its many variants. This has been a long process with input from
many different people who all had something to share on this fine
receiver.

It is available for download (free) on the Hammarlund Historian
website. It is in .pdf format and in two parts, each being
approximately 7 megs.

Look he http://www.hammarlund.info/

I had an SP400 in the UK in the 1960's. I would to get one again, or info
about it...

Old August 17th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"MoiInAust" wrote in message

[...]

I have a lot of exprience with the earlier SP-200, 210,
etc., series. I used a BC-779 as my station RX for a long
time. The SP-400 is essentially the same as the 40mhz
version of the 200 except that the frequency bands are wider
than 2:1. The 20mhz and 40mhz limit receivers are nearly
identical except that the RF stages in the higher frequency
model are shunt fed instead of series fed. That results in
slightly higher Q and slightly better RF selectivity.
I tried a lot of modifications in my RX but the only
one worth doing was adding a voltage regulator to the LO.
The rack versions came with overall shields which fit
over the entire chassis. These are not ventillated so the
set run _very_ hot with them. I put mine in a table rack
without the outer shield.
These are _very_ good receivers despite the old tubes
in the RF and converter section. They are very well shielded
so that there are very few spurs. Stability is adequate but
there is no temperature compensation (despit the fact that
Hammarlund used it in other receivers of the time) so you
have to run it continuously if it is to sit still.
Mostly you will not have to deal with the tuning box.
Its very complex and a bit of a Chinese puzzle. I have
cleaned one but don't remember all the details. Avoid
working on it unless there is a very good reason.

There are handbooks available on the web for nearly all
versions of the Super-Pro.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old August 17th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

"MoiInAust" wrote in message

[...]

Left out a whole sentence he-( I meant to say
_hopfully_ etc, plus that the last of the tribe is now over
sixty years old and will probably need a lot of recapping.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles