Old November 7th 09, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Anyone around from anywhere near Yorkshire?

I'm wondering if there's anyone here, local(ish) to me, who'd be
interested in an Avo Valve Characteristic Meter. My Dad recently passed
away and I've inherited it, along with a beautiful CR100 ex-Navy comms
receiver.

I'll be keeping the radio as I've so many memories from childhood of
slowly (oh, so, so slowly!) trawling my way through the bands; [1] and it
does still rank as a pretty good receiver.

The tester on the other hand isn't really of much use to me. I'm
competent, after a fashion, with valve electronics but I've so little clue
on how to use it and almost no spare time.. My Dad, however, saw it as
indispensable kit for his restoration work.

I've checked up on eBay and it seems I could get a very reasonable price
if I were willing to go through the bother of figuring out shipping and
all that kerfuffle, but I'd much rather avoid the trouble. I'm willing to
accept slightly below what it's worth, or rather roughly what it's worth,
but with free shipping (ie delivery, by myself, in a car!). The sticking
point is finding someone within 70 or 80 miles who'd be interested.

I'm based in Sheffield but regularly travel to N.Wales, so anywhere close
to the relevant motorways counts as accessible. Likewise pretty much
anywhere in Yorkshire.

[1] And of matching it to a homebrew interface card, bolted onto my prized
ZX81, running a homebrew RTTY/Morse translator! What a lovely mixture of
museum exhibits that would be, what a span of years; if I could only find
the relevant bits and have a go at resurrection :-)

Thanks for any input, sorry for the distracted ramblings ;¬)

Oh, and it's a Mark IV Avo.

--
Dave Johnson.
Old November 7th 09, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:43:09 +0000, Dave J. wrote:

[...]

If it's what we call a 'tube tester' over on this side of the pond, i.e.
a serviceman's that you stick a tube into and it tells you if the tube is
good, you may want to keep it around as a tool to keep the receiver alive.

If it's something fancy that you'd find in an engineering lab or similar,
then you want to trade it for the serviceman's tool.

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Old November 8th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In on Sat, 07 Nov
2009 09:27:04 -0600, in rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, 'Tim Wescott'
wrote:

[...]

I think it's a pretty fancy tool. Afaict it measures pretty much
everything of a valve's performance and allows you to set each voltage
appropriately for the various measurements.

The description given by one site is

"The AVO Mark 4 Valve Characteristic Meter comprises 19 valve holders.
input selector switch and variable operating parameters for testing
valves. Provision is made for by means of plug-in adaptors to cater for
newly introduced valve bases."

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are sufficiently curious, there
are some beautifully clear pics, from several angles, large and clear
enough to read the function of each control

at

http://digilander.libero.it/pasqua49...ic%20meter.htm

or, to avoid word-wrap hassle, at http://tinyurl.com/AvoMkIV

Thanks for the reply anyhow, I suppose it's ebay or nothing. I'm not aware
of any antique-radio magazines in the UK or I'd consider advertising it
there. It's worth enough to make for a fractionally improved Christmas :-)

--
Dave Johnson
Old November 8th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave J. wrote:
"The AVO Mark 4 Valve Characteristic Meter comprises 19 valve holders.
input selector switch and variable operating parameters for testing
valves. Provision is made for by means of plug-in adaptors to cater for
newly introduced valve bases."

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are sufficiently curious, there
are some beautifully clear pics, from several angles, large and clear
enough to read the function of each control

at

http://digilander.libero.it/pasqua49...ic%20meter.htm

or, to avoid word-wrap hassle, at http://tinyurl.com/AvoMkIV

This looks like a conventional transconductance tester. It's what you
would expect your local TV repair shop to have for testing tubes. It's
not a fancy design tool like a curve tracer, and _because_ it's a fairly
common service tool, you shouldn't have any problem selling it.

Thanks for the reply anyhow, I suppose it's ebay or nothing. I'm not aware
of any antique-radio magazines in the UK or I'd consider advertising it
there. It's worth enough to make for a fractionally improved Christmas :-)

Ask your local ham radio club. Someone there is apt to want one. Also
try guitar shops.
--scott

Old November 9th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In on Sun, 8 Nov 2009 10:49:54 +1100,
in rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, 'MoiInAust' wrote:

"Dave J." wrote in message

I'm wondering if there's anyone here, local(ish) to me, who'd be
interested in an Avo Valve Characteristic Meter. My Dad recently passed
away and I've inherited it, along with a beautiful CR100 ex-Navy comms
receiver.

Are you prepared to deliver to Australia? G

If only :-) It's a lovely bit of equipment and I primarily want to be sure
it'll go somewhere it'll be as well loved as it was by my Dad. The
involvement of money is, however, a significant side benefit

--
Dave Johnson
Old November 9th 09, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In on 8 Nov 2009 10:25:49 -0500, in
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, 'Scott Dorsey' wrote:

If you (or anyone else for that matter) are sufficiently curious, there
are some beautifully clear pics, from several angles, large and clear
enough to read the function of each control

at

http://digilander.libero.it/pasqua49...ic%20meter.htm

or, to avoid word-wrap hassle, at http://tinyurl.com/AvoMkIV

This looks like a conventional transconductance tester. It's what you
would expect your local TV repair shop to have for testing tubes.

Heh, I suspect there may be an inappropriate tense in there grin.

It's
not a fancy design tool like a curve tracer, and _because_ it's a fairly
common service tool, you shouldn't have any problem selling it.

Ok. From my amateurish POV it *looks* quite fancy :-)

If it measures characteristics of which I have only the faintest working
knowledge then by my standards it's complex enough.

If the 'curve tracers' you mention are the sort of tool I imagine from the
name then in those (pre d - a / computer) days they must have been
beautiful designs.

Thanks for the reply anyhow, I suppose it's ebay or nothing. I'm not aware
of any antique-radio magazines in the UK or I'd consider advertising it
there. It's worth enough to make for a fractionally improved Christmas :-)

Ask your local ham radio club. Someone there is apt to want one. Also
try guitar shops.

Hadn't thought of a guitar shop, though I'm surprised your average guitar
amp's all that fussy WRT valve specification? I'd have imagined more the
sort of pass/fail testing I'd cobble together as a psu/pot/avo birds-nest
on my workbench.

Any extra idea's worth a try though, thanks muchly.

--
Dave Johnson
Old November 9th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave

The British Vintage Wireless Society (BVWS) has a regular magazine. I'm sure
their members would be interested.

Old November 10th 09, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave J. wrote:
If it measures characteristics of which I have only the faintest working
knowledge then by my standards it's complex enough.

What makes it complex is the fact that tubes all have different pinouts.
There are three or four controls on there that set voltages and loading for
the tube, and the rest of the controls just are for selecting the pinout.

If the 'curve tracers' you mention are the sort of tool I imagine from the
name then in those (pre d - a / computer) days they must have been
beautiful designs.

The curve tracer is basically a device like what you have, except that it
makes one parameter adjustable and displays a plot on a CRT of the plate
current with respect to that parameter. Some of them make two parameters
adjustable and display a family of curves.

Anything you can do with a curve tracer you can also do by hand with a
transconductance tester like you have, and a sheet of graph paper, and a
lot of labour making individual measurements and plotting the curve.
The transconductance tester is normally used for simple go/no go tests, and
for matching tubes based on their plate current at a single point in the
curve.

Thanks for the reply anyhow, I suppose it's ebay or nothing. I'm not aware
of any antique-radio magazines in the UK or I'd consider advertising it
there. It's worth enough to make for a fractionally improved Christmas :-)

Ask your local ham radio club. Someone there is apt to want one. Also
try guitar shops.

Hadn't thought of a guitar shop, though I'm surprised your average guitar
amp's all that fussy WRT valve specification? I'd have imagined more the
sort of pass/fail testing I'd cobble together as a psu/pot/avo birds-nest
on my workbench.

The guitar shops usually aren't too worried about that, but everyone would
rather have nice test equipment than poor test equipment.
--scott
Old November 14th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In message , MoiInAust
writes

The British Vintage Wireless Society (BVWS) has a regular magazine. I'm sure
their members would be interested.

In the right quarters, those valve testers are quite highly prized.
Very, very few 'ordinary' UK radio amateurs would be interested - unless
they had an interest in vintage equipment. The BVWS seems by far the
place to ask.
--
Ian