Old November 17th 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default CW Boatanchor Calling Frequency ?

For years 3546 has served us vintage equipment aficianados well.
Unfortunately, largely due to their robbing us CW ops of most of our
exclusive 80 M spectrum, the middle portion of the band has filled with nets
and hams who seem only interested in collecting the membership numbers of
other members trivial little clubs. Very often the equipment we are using is
frail and low in power so we can't compete up against the Kensues and
YaeCOMs not to mention the gaggle of contester super ops that seem to own no
receivers. Although I appreciate every QSO, I must admit it is always more
fun when I am told the other station is using vintage gear. I am suggesting
we boatanchor enthusiasts move far away from the crowd and start using 3599
kc. Calling "CQ," "CQ BA" or just "BA" would alert this otherwise quiet
frequency that someone is there who is running fun gear to hear. Comments?

See you on 3599?

Old November 19th 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Nov 17, 10:30*am, "SX-25" wrote:
[...]

Don't know where you are (or even your call) but here on the East
coast 80M is only crowded on contest weekends.

I think you just might be complaining about the FOC event last
weekend, with your reference to numbers and such. Maybe you'd
appreciate googling "Second Class Operators Club" :-). http://www.qsl.net/soc/

On storm-free winter evenings 80M is a joy. Only problem IMHO is lack
of activity - seems to be the opposite of what you're complaining
about! Again, everything will be hopeless on a contest weekend. Well,
not completely hopeless, I did the NAQP and CQ WW DX with my HW-16
just two or three years ago.

Rather common for me to find (while I'm using my HW-16) others with
boatanchors, other Heaths, some Hammarlund and Hallicrafters and Eico,
and a smattering of homebrew tube rigs

3599 is an awkward frequency for the rock-bound BA users who probably
don't have a crystal there.

Tim N3QE
Old November 20th 09, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Nov 17, 10:30*am, "SX-25" wrote:

Unfortunately, largely due to their robbing us CW ops of most of our
exclusive 80 M spectrum, the middle portion of the band has filled with nets
and hams who seem only interested in collecting the membership numbers of
other members trivial little clubs.

What "exclusive spectrum"? We share all of the non-phone parts of the
HF bands with data modes.

Very often the equipment we are using is
frail and low in power so we can't compete up against the Kensues and
YaeCOMs not to mention the gaggle of contester super ops that seem to own no
receivers.

Everybody with a license that isn't doing emergency comms has the same
rights to a frequency. The contesters, traffic handlers, RTTY ops etc.
are all part of the game.

Although I appreciate every QSO, I must admit it is always more
fun when I am told the other station is using vintage gear. I am suggesting
we boatanchor enthusiasts move far away from the crowd and start using 3599
kc. Calling "CQ," "CQ BA" or just "BA" would alert this otherwise quiet
frequency that someone is there who is running fun gear to hear. Comments?

I suggest a little bit lower, say 3597 or 3598, so we don't stray into
the Extra 'fone band.

But as N3QE points out, most of the time here on the East Coast
there's plenty of room on 80 CW.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 23rd 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Nov 20, 11:51*am, wrote:
But as N3QE points out, most of the time here on the East Coast
there's plenty of room on 80 CW.

I'm guessing that 80M CW is even more depopulated in the rest of US.
And I do know that during the big CW contests, that the PSK31'ers and
RTTY'ers will move way up to the 3580/3590 region. My gut feeling is
to simply write off the CW contest weekends as a good time for casual
QSO's. And besides, I like running in the contests too, no way I'm
gonna win, but it's fun.

I used to "defect" from my 40M stomping grounds to 80M mostly as a way
avoiding the international broadcaster QRM but 40M isn't so bad lately
thanks to the rule changes. 80M can be really sweet in the winter
though!

Tim N3QE
Old November 23rd 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
"SX-25" wrote:

I am suggesting
we boatanchor enthusiasts move far away from the crowd and start using 3599
kc.

SX-

I don't currently have a Boat Anchor rig on the air, but have been
listening for the last few days on 3599. It certainly is a quiet
frequency. I haven't heard any signals at all near there.

The band is definitely not dead in the evenings. W1AW code practice
comes through loud and clear. I often hear traffic nets with good
signals within a couple hundred miles.

Fred
K4DII

Old November 25th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Fred McKenzie" wrote in message
In article ,
"SX-25" wrote:

I am suggesting
we boatanchor enthusiasts move far away from the crowd and start using
3599
kc.

SX-

I don't currently have a Boat Anchor rig on the air, but have been
listening for the last few days on 3599. It certainly is a quiet
frequency. I haven't heard any signals at all near there.

The band is definitely not dead in the evenings. W1AW code practice
comes through loud and clear. I often hear traffic nets with good
signals within a couple hundred miles.

Fred
K4DII

Do you still have traffic nets in the US, Fred?

Old November 25th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tim Shoppa wrote:

Maybe you'd
appreciate googling "Second Class Operators Club" :-). http://www.qsl.net/soc/

At last, I have found my niche and place in Ham Radio!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -