Old December 4th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default HQ 129 help needed

I guess my first post didn't successfully post, so I will try again.
I have recapped my HQ 129X and aligned it. The BFO note varies
continually. I replaced the paper caps in the shield below the BFO
tube. The resistors below the tube and the tube test out okay. Is my
next step to get into the BFO can on top of the chassis? Has anyone in
the group had experience with the BFO on this rcvr? Anyone have any
hints on how to access the BFO can? It looks like they built the rcvr
around it. Thanks, Mike KF6KXG
Old December 4th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"tchrme" wrote in message
I guess my first post didn't successfully post, so I will
try again.
I have recapped my HQ 129X and aligned it. The BFO note
varies
continually. I replaced the paper caps in the shield below
the BFO
tube. The resistors below the tube and the tube test out
okay. Is my
next step to get into the BFO can on top of the chassis?
Has anyone in
the group had experience with the BFO on this rcvr?
Anyone have any
hints on how to access the BFO can? It looks like they
built the rcvr
around it. Thanks, Mike KF6KXG

Are you sure its the BFO warbling and not the local
oscillator?

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old December 4th 09, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Dec 4, 1:57*am, "Richard Knoppow" wrote:

[...]

Richard,
Good hearing from you. Good idea. I will check. Thanks, Mike KF6KXG
Old December 5th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

[...]

If it varies the same amount on all bands then it is the bfo.
If it varies more on higher frequencies than it is the vfo.
Old December 5th 09, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:
"tchrme" wrote in message

[...]

If you have another general coverage RX, or even a
broadcast RX you can hear the LO on it. If the LO isn't
stable you will hear it. I've never worked on an HQ-129X so
I can't help with mechanical details. However, I have run
into bad silvered mica caps in SP-600 receivers, in the BFO,
5mhz IF (both 51 pf silver micas) and in the LO modules. The
symptom of the IF cap is that it changes the tuning after it
warms up. The ones in the oscillators either warble or jump.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old December 5th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:
"tchrme" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you Richard and Kenneth. I found a questionable solder joint I
resoldered it and it improved things a bit. I put it back in the
cabinet for now, some other time demands came up. I will probably dive
back into it in a month or two and check the silver micas in the
oscillator first. Thanks for the information. Mike KF6KXG

3-500 needed Fred Cameron Equipment 0 February 25th 07 05:54 PM
needed MRF 248 KC8GXW-Jim Equipment 0 January 9th 07 01:41 AM
NEEDED (WTB) Brenda Ann Swap 0 June 8th 05 11:06 PM
UV-3 Help needed Frank Krozel Boatanchors 1 March 31st 05 12:55 AM
ILG B03 Needed Al - KA5JGV Shortwave 3 April 16th 04 05:56 PM