Old January 14th 10, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Plate current measurement

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
Another idea would be to connect an rf voltmeter to the antenna
connection and just tune for max rf voltage.

I found THE solution to measure current flowing though a wire at high
potential without risks!

Solution is to use an Hall-effect transducer of the same type used in
the newer clamp meters (those able to measure both AC and DC currents).
One can order transducers with full-scale currents ranging from as low
as 10mA to tens of Amps. The high-potential wire passes through a hole
having a diameter of two centrimeners, so it is fully insulated from the
measurement circuitry,

The transducer can directly drive a meter having a full-scale current of
20 mA or less. See http://www.chenyang-ism.com/

73

Tony I0JX

If the plate supply has it's own power supply with a separate power
transformer or winding the meter can be placed in the negative lead of
the power supply. Be sure to place the meter outside of any bleeder
resistors so you don't measure the bleeder current.
Old January 14th 10, 11:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

If the plate supply has it's own power supply with a separate power
transformer or winding the meter can be placed in the negative lead of the
power supply. Be sure to place the meter outside of any bleeder resistors so
you don't measure the bleeder current.

Thanks for your suggestion, but in my initial message I had mentioned that my
power supply is structured in such a way not to permit measuring plate current
on the negative lead as it would otherwise be normal to do.

As a matter of fact the low-voltage supply is part of the high-voltage supply;
they are not separate. Therefore the current flowing in the negative lead is the
sum of the currents of the two supplies, and it is then not possible to isolate
the plate current of the final tube.

Unfortunately no alternative to measuring it on the high-voltage lead.

73

Tony I0JX

Old January 15th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:
[...]

Most good panel meters (Triplet, etc) 2" or larger in diameter in thick
Bakelite cases having glass windows are probably insulated well enough
to safely be used in the high voltage side up to at least 1kv (or more).
I wouldn't try it with a cheap imported meter in a thin plastic case
and a plastic window. Back in the days when REAL transmitters were
housed in relay rack cabinets it was the norm to put an ammeter in the
HV lead. Note that trying to switch a single meter between grid,
screen, plate, and HV readings (meter is used as a voltmeter and reads
voltage across shunts for current) gets tricky, a WELL insulated switch
is required with good isolation between selections! Using every other
position of a rotary switch and yanking out the unused contacts might
have been common.
Old January 15th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Most good panel meters (Triplet, etc) 2" or larger in diameter in thick
Bakelite cases having glass windows are probably insulated well enough to
safely be used in the high voltage side up to at least 1kv (or more). I
wouldn't try it with a cheap imported meter in a thin plastic case and a
plastic window. Back in the days when REAL transmitters were housed in relay
rack cabinets it was the norm to put an ammeter in the HV lead. Note that
trying to switch a single meter between grid, screen, plate, and HV readings
(meter is used as a voltmeter and reads voltage across shunts for current)
gets tricky, a WELL insulated switch is required with good isolation between
selections! Using every other position of a rotary switch and yanking out the
unused contacts might have been common.

My Geloso transmitter just adopts the arrangement you mention. But I would
prefer to avoid it, mainly because of the HV present on the meter switch.

The Hall-effect transducer seems to be perfect for measuring current forgetting
about HV. When I will get it I will report whether it really works fine for our
applications or not.

73

Tony I0JX

Old January 15th 10, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 15 Jan, 21:43, "Antonio Vernucci" wrote:
[...]

Tony , I should think it will be ok , may be will need a little rf
screening ... as a Idea try using a coax as the plate
supply cable , with the braid earthed ... the copper 'should'
not affect the magnetic field ... try it out with a low voltage
psu and resistor as a load ?

G ..

Old January 16th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tony , I should think it will be ok , may be will need a little rf
screening ... as a Idea try using a coax as the plate
supply cable , with the braid earthed ... the copper 'should'
not affect the magnetic field ... try it out with a low voltage
psu and resistor as a load ?

G ..

I will try but I would not expect RF problems because the Hall transducer will
be located inside the modulator screened enclosure and inserted before the
modulation transformer where there is plenty of bypass capacitance to ground.

73

Tony I0JX

Old January 17th 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

There are a number of rigs that measure cathode current rather than plate
current. Depending upon the tube, screen current is only a small percentage
of plate current, so even a 10% change in screen current may result in only
in a 1 or 2% in cathode current.

I have one other bizarre thought - which I admit has not been given much
thought - suppose you fed the screen with a constant current source, so that
screen current would not change at resonance?

Also, off this subject and back to screen modulation techniques, the old
Radio Handbook mentions that many beam power tubes will self modulate, with
no additional screen audio supplied. Apparently, it can vary from tube to
tube. Despite that stateement, I know of many am transmitters using beam
plate final tubes that do have audio applied to the screen, so take the
statement with a grain of salt.

73, Colin K7FM