Old January 16th 10, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Haiti

Does anyone have any reports of radio amateurs being involved in the
Haiti disaster relief?
On a related point, we've heard very little in the media about radio
being used in relief communications - it's been all about no wired
phones, little or no internet, few cellphone towers, some twitter use,
facebook groups, etc... where's the good, old fashioned analog radio?
Cheers,
Roger
Old January 16th 10, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Engineer wrote:

Does anyone have any reports of radio amateurs being involved in the
Haiti disaster relief?
On a related point, we've heard very little in the media about radio
being used in relief communications - it's been all about no wired
phones, little or no internet, few cellphone towers, some twitter use,
facebook groups, etc... where's the good, old fashioned analog radio?
Cheers,
Roger

They don't use "good old fashioned analog radios".

They go over to .equipment or one of the other newsgroups related to
operating, because nobody would be using boatanchors for emergency
communication at this point. Too big at the very least, use up too much
power, lacking in capability.

Now, if you want to talk about WERS back in WWII, or other early use of
radio for emergency, then this is likely the right place. Otherwise,
it belongs elsewhere, and there are plenty of newsgroups for that.

Michael VE2BVW

Old January 16th 10, 04:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Michael Black wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Engineer wrote:

Does anyone have any reports of radio amateurs being involved in the
Haiti disaster relief?
On a related point, we've heard very little in the media about radio
being used in relief communications - it's been all about no wired
phones, little or no internet, few cellphone towers, some twitter use,
facebook groups, etc... where's the good, old fashioned analog radio?
Cheers,i
Roger

They don't use "good old fashioned analog radios".

They go over to .equipment or one of the other newsgroups related to
operating, because nobody would be using boatanchors for emergency
communication at this point. Too big at the very least, use up too much
power, lacking in capability.

Now, if you want to talk about WERS back in WWII, or other early use of
radio for emergency, then this is likely the right place. Otherwise,
it belongs elsewhere, and there are plenty of newsgroups for that.

Michael VE2BVW

When we had H'cane Marilyn+Luis simultaneously hitting Anguilla in 1995
the Cable&Wireless guy showed up with a sat phone in a briefcase. He
plugged in the exchange and whammo...we had outside contact again.

Granted Anguilla is a small place but also granted that was 15 years
ago. I'm sure the communications guys are getting Haiti plugged back
into the world although local distribution suffers.

Some of the first reports I read were from a 'twitterer' outside of the
city using a Blackberry. The ham freqs are very quiet.

Its a new world, isn't it?

-Bill
Old January 16th 10, 01:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
ci ci is offline

Twitter? Cell phones? Ad nauseum. What fools.

Such technology is the salvation that is what they'd LIKE us to all believe
is the answer. They are foolish to rely on the frailty of such technology.
I'm
sitting here now listening to all sorts of shortwave from Jamaica, Cuba and
the Dominican Republic, all countries in the same region as Haiti. To
castigate
so-called "big, old boatanchors" is mindless nonsense and they are shooting
themselves in the foot not employing "old" analog technology.

If you are dehydrated in the desert, you're ignorant to ignore a pond of
water while you search for a crystal champagne glass.

ci

Old February 21st 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 1/15/2010 10:51 PM, Engineer wrote:
Does anyone have any reports of radio amateurs being involved in the
Haiti disaster relief?
On a related point, we've heard very little in the media about radio
being used in relief communications - it's been all about no wired
phones, little or no internet, few cellphone towers, some twitter use,
facebook groups, etc... where's the good, old fashioned analog radio?
Cheers,
Roger

A bit on that topic he

http://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/wireless/hams-in-haiti

(OT) Tough break for Haiti. [email protected] Shortwave 1 January 13th 10 12:40 PM
Chinese police in Haiti using HF? Radioman390 Shortwave 4 October 19th 04 12:33 PM
Troubled Haiti Maximus Shortwave 3 February 29th 04 05:16 PM
radio haiti Emile Shortwave 10 February 25th 04 03:18 AM
Revolution in Haiti? tommyknocker Shortwave 22 February 9th 04 03:08 AM