Old February 7th 04, 10:46 PM
tommyknocker

Default Revolution in Haiti?

I heard last night (on SW) that rebels have "captured" the city of
Gonaives, Haiti's fourth largest (and the place where Haiti's
independence was declared 200 years ago). REE said that the rebels were
close to taking control of Cap Haitien (sp?), Haiti's second largest
city, as well. It looks like Aristide is going down. Has anybody heard
anything more today? (I haven't been near my radio yet today.)

Old February 7th 04, 11:03 PM
Maximus

I remember something in online news about unrest there about Aristide. He
was bad news from the beginning and our government was involved in making
sure he got to power. We may regret that if these guys are leftists. Haiti
is one of the most miserable and poorest places on earth, so they are ripe
for any change that looks promising. We keep turning back people trying to
get to the USA on rafts etc.

Could you please post the UTC time and frequency ? I'd like to try to listen
myself . Thanks

Old February 7th 04, 11:32 PM
Maximus

Tommyknocker, here ia a link to a news story I found about the strife in
Haiti:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...t_040207190708

Old February 7th 04, 11:47 PM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

I heard last night (on SW) that rebels have "captured" the city of
Gonaives, Haiti's fourth largest (and the place where Haiti's
independence was declared 200 years ago). REE said that the rebels were
close to taking control of Cap Haitien (sp?), Haiti's second largest
city, as well. It looks like Aristide is going down. Has anybody heard
anything more today? (I haven't been near my radio yet today.)

That place was a total mess when I was in Port-au-Prince in the '70's.
Absolute poverty. I doubt if it's ever gotten better.

There used to be some shortwave out of Haiti, but no more.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old February 8th 04, 12:20 AM
Maximus

So who is Tommyknocker listening to ? I did a search for frequencies on
Google and found 11.835 but no time listed. I can't say as I have seen
anything in Passport, come to think of it.

Old February 8th 04, 12:32 AM
N8KDV

Maximus wrote:

So who is Tommyknocker listening to ? I did a search for frequencies on
Google and found 11.835 but no time listed. I can't say as I have seen
anything in Passport, come to think of it.

It wasn't Haiti. Not on for some time as I recall, can't remember exactly when
though.

Old February 8th 04, 01:39 AM
tommyknocker

N8KDV wrote:

Maximus wrote:

So who is Tommyknocker listening to ? I did a search for frequencies on
Google and found 11.835 but no time listed. I can't say as I have seen
anything in Passport, come to think of it.

It wasn't Haiti. Not on for some time as I recall, can't remember exactly when
though.

Just my regular sources, Radio Exterior de Espana and Radio Netherlands.
Spain's only English broadcast to North America is on 6055 khz at 0000.
As for RN, I usually listen to their 0400 broadcast on 9590 or 6165,
although I find that 6165 has a fair amount of interference at 0400.
0400 will be too late for you if you live east of the Rockies, so try
the 0100 bc which I think is on 6165. Spain tends to have more news
about the Americas because of colonial ties.

My next question was going to be whether Haiti has a SW station. I might
try Radio Havana, they're probably closest.

Old February 8th 04, 01:43 AM
tommyknocker

Maximus wrote:

I remember something in online news about unrest there about Aristide. He
was bad news from the beginning and our government was involved in making
sure he got to power. We may regret that if these guys are leftists. Haiti
is one of the most miserable and poorest places on earth, so they are ripe
for any change that looks promising. We keep turning back people trying to
get to the USA on rafts etc.

Aristide is a Marxist. I do remember hearing years ago about a coup in
Haiti and how US troops reseated Aristide by force, something we're
gonna regret when he's overthrown since we don't have any troops to
spare to calm the place down.

Could you please post the UTC time and frequency ? I'd like to try to listen
myself . Thanks

My usual sources are Radio Exterior de Espana and Radio Netherlands.
Spain usually has more news about the Americas. They are on at 0000 on
6055-their only English tx to NAm. RN's website is rnw.nl, so look there
for freqs and times. "REE" was referring to Spain.

Old February 8th 04, 01:46 AM
N8KDV

tommyknocker wrote:

Maximus wrote:

[...]

You might wish to try BBC 15190 in the mornings, they carry a lot of Caribbean
news around 1200 or so, perhaps earlier.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old February 8th 04, 01:50 AM
tommyknocker

N8KDV wrote:

tommyknocker wrote:

I heard last night (on SW) that rebels have "captured" the city of
Gonaives, Haiti's fourth largest (and the place where Haiti's
independence was declared 200 years ago). REE said that the rebels were
close to taking control of Cap Haitien (sp?), Haiti's second largest
city, as well. It looks like Aristide is going down. Has anybody heard
anything more today? (I haven't been near my radio yet today.)

That place was a total mess when I was in Port-au-Prince in the '70's.
Absolute poverty. I doubt if it's ever gotten better.

I once heard that St. Dominigue (the island comprising Haiti and the
Dominican Republic) was France's richest colony until the slaves
rebelled. Napoleon tried to retake it but his army was wiped out by
yellow fever and retreated to the eastern half of the island, which was
eventually handed off to Spain which is why they speak Spanish in the
Dominican Republic and French (well, Creole) in Haiti. I say that if
L'Overture hadn't been captured that Haiti would be in much better shape
today. From what I've read, the guy was a genius, the equivalent of
George Washington or Thomas Jefferson.

There used to be some shortwave out of Haiti, but no more.

I'll try Radio Havana, they're probably as close as you can get on SW.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B