Old April 6th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Technical Books available for download

Hi, Gang

Pete Millett has recently moved to a new hosting site, and expanded
his collection of old electronics textbooks available for download.
The new site is he
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

One very good book is the GE Sideband Handbook,
a compilation of all the SSB info appearing
in the GE "Ham News". Included is the GE "SSB, Jr."
the forerunner of the Central Electronics 10A.

Pete's site can be rather slow, so I moved a copy of the GE SSB Manual
to Rapidshare, since it is a large file (151MB):
http://rapidshare.com/files/37282345...dbook_1961.pdf

73,
Ed Knobloch
Old April 7th 10, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Edward Knobloch wrote:

Hi, Gang

Pete Millett has recently moved to a new hosting site, and expanded
his collection of old electronics textbooks available for download.
The new site is he
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

One very good book is the GE Sideband Handbook,
a compilation of all the SSB info appearing
in the GE "Ham News". Included is the GE "SSB, Jr."
the forerunner of the Central Electronics 10A.

I'll grab it, but does it have much on DSB? GE seemed to be
the proponent for DSBsc (versus Collins and SSB), and Webb who
wrote an article about DSBsc and then a construction article about
making a synchronous detector (about 1957 in "CQ"), I thought he
worked for GE. They were talking about full blown DSB with proper
detectors, to do away with the carrier but make use of the benefits
of two sidebands. DSB is covered in the other SSB books, but there it's
an intermediate step, simpler to build than an SSB transmitter but simpler
and better than an AM transmitter, but one was expected to receive it
with an SSB receiver which turned the DSB signal into an SSB signal before
the product detector.

Michael VE2BVW

Old April 7th 10, 05:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 4/6/2010 9:55 PM, Michael Black VE2BVW wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Yes, the book has two DSB transmitters featured, the "DSB, Jr."
an 80m QRP rig with a pair of 6AQ5's in the balanced mixer final,
and a 200W input bandswitching DSB rig using a pair of 6146's.

For SSB receiving, they have a 12 tube phasing IF adapter
(quite advanced for 1948), or the simpler "slicer" adapters
later commercialized by Central Electronics.
The book doesn't include the synchronous DSB adapter
printed in a late 1950's CQ magazine.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old April 7th 10, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Edward Knobloch wrote:
Pete Millett has recently moved to a new hosting site, and expanded
his collection of old electronics textbooks available for download.
The new site is he
http://www.tubebooks.org/technical_books_online.htm

I just want to point out here that the one, most amazing and wonderful
thing that Mr. Millett has done has been to not only scan and make available
the always-rare RCA HB-3 tube handbook, but also to cross-index it so that
individual tube data sheets could be found quickly online.

The HB-3 manual is the one that was sold to engineers designing equipment,
as opposed to the RC manuals sold to servicepeople or available at your
local electronics parts place. It contains all the curves for everything
RCA made and it is just a tremendous and wonderful resource. I cannot thank
Mr. Millett enough for making this available.

I say that even having obtained a paper copy of the whole manual... the online
version is just faster to find material in.
--scott

Old April 7th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 2010-04-07, Michael Black wrote:

I'll grab it, but does it have much on DSB? GE seemed to be
the proponent for DSBsc (versus Collins and SSB), and Webb who
wrote an article about DSBsc and then a construction article about
making a synchronous detector (about 1957 in "CQ"), I thought he
worked for GE. They were talking about full blown DSB with proper
detectors, to do away with the carrier but make use of the benefits
of two sidebands. DSB is covered in the other SSB books, but there it's
an intermediate step, simpler to build than an SSB transmitter but simpler
and better than an AM transmitter, but one was expected to receive it
with an SSB receiver which turned the DSB signal into an SSB signal before
the product detector.

That's an interesting comment. I was reading a biography of Art Collins
recently and it mentions his efforts to get SSB into the Air Force, and
that it was in competition with G.E. wanting to push DSB.

One of the famous papers on this topic is "Poisson, Shannon and
the Radio Amateur" by John Costas in Proceedings of the I.R.E., December
1959, p. 2058. Costas covers a lot of ground in this paper, but a couple
of the points in favor of DSB are that you can recover the carrier
precisely from the signal, rather than having a local oscillator that
is approximately the correct frequency of the carrier. And that you
add the energy from the two sidebands coherently, so that just as
Shannon proposes you gain SNR by occupying more bandwidth. I guess the
attraction of SSB was that you get twice as many channels in the same
piece of spectrum as you do with DSB. And having an approximately correct
carrier frequency is good enough for most purposes, and is not hard to
achieve. Also Art Collins may have had better connections with his
friendship with Curtis LeMay and Butch Griswold. He participated in the
famous flying demonstrations of the capabilities of SSB. So far as I
know G.E. didn't get to do the same thing with DSB.

At any rate, Costas was one of G.E.s wise men.

Old April 7th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Edward Knobloch wrote:
[...]

I don't think he has the complete HB-3 yet, still a
work in progress. Pete's site is amazing and wonderful, much
extremely valuable stuff some quite rare. The scans are
supberb, a superlative I rarely use. Fortunately, I have
access to a very high speed connection and have downloaded
nearly everything he has on the site. The new site is easier
to navigate than the original one, which BTW still exists
and has a lot of audio stuff on it. Fans of McIntosh amps
and other equipment should take note because he has many
McIntosh insruction manuals and service notes there.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles